The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 'Metal-bending' effects from Dealers: any good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Kenton has his ring bend (which I think I mentioned a few posts back) in his new "Powers of Suggestion"; I have not read the book itself, but I have read excerpts in the form of both the ring piece and the booktest mentioned in the ads, and they are both quite brilliant. Just on those two pieces it'd be worth getting the book, even if everything else stinks (which I would wager isn't the case).

I seem to remember Harris's "Gellerism Revealed" having some of this sort of thing, too, but I could be wrong; it's been a while.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1188 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I just got Yuval Keren's Bending Coin yesterday. He does a fantastic job in his video performance. I don't see the justification in the cost of his gimmick, though. Mine is actually a bit noisy and awkward to handle smoothly. Maybe that will come with more practice, but I could think of a half-dozen other ways he could have achieved the same effect with a less cumbersome gimmick, at a far less cost, too. Maybe I'll see if I can charge 1,000 times the cost it takes to make such an effect and retire on that?

I'm still awaiting his Bendable Fork. I think magicians must also be skillful in making effects appear 'realistically magical' and believable, as opposed to just having skill in misdirection and sleights-of-hand.

You do your misdirection and switches for the first bit; human nature will naturally make people figure you're doing a switch, no matter how great you are at switching. Then, you pull a genuine effect in front of their eyes that completely erases any doubts they had before. A no switch, no pre-bending on a final effect just adds so much more credibility to all your previous effects, in my opinion. THAT is real, complete magic.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
This Topic has had some very valid points but I feel that not all are justified in every situation... Granted the standard metal bending effects ie Banacheck, Bavili, Cuffs and Geller are VERY important to learn if you intend to bend cuttlery or metal of any kind but some of the effects that I have purchased throughout the years have proven great value for money... I did a radio show in London and at the end of the show which was meant to be 15 minutes I actually did 45 minutes I decided to bend cuttlery and have the host describe what was happening.. He's words were 'It's bending on its own and your not even touching it.' this was not the marketed effect that costs a fortune but a reworked effect that I had purchased from London it was a very limited edition some four years ago.. I love the standard methods and perform them very well judging from the responses I have had however to mix in the odd gimmicked effect does nothing but enhance the other bends and make them even stronger.. The Keren fork is very highly priced and is really only useful for T.V. or on stage with a camera like the close up effects performed by Copperfield etc etc.. I own the fork and totally agree with the comments made about it but I have used it live and on T.V. and it went down a storm.. What happens if I am asked to do this effect at an unsuitable time?? I simply tell them that to accomplish this type of bend takes a huge amount of meditation and focus but let me try something with this spoon.. (I then bend metal via the standard route.) and it must be said that I read a book on Geller and he claimed to bend a fork inside of a perspex box over a period of so many hours I have never seen this or seen any pictures and this CANNOT be done using any method by Banachek, Geller or Bavili but it is possible with the Keren fork.. Derren Brown did a lovely key bend where a spectators key slowly bent in stages then slowly bent back the keys where handed out straight way and were genuinely borrowed. Stephen Tucker did a very visual bend and unbend then break that would get reactions that standard bending would not.. I DO however agree that if you want to get into metal bending the Banacheck, Cuffs and Bavili Tapes books etc etc are THE place to start and end if you want.. you'll certainly have a dynamic arsenal at your disposal but there is a place for SOME gimmicked items but be warned as most are not all they are cracked up to be.. The Keren Fork was carefully researched and excepted as something I could use in my shows but it is VERY limited due to it's nature.. I would say though that when I do metal bending 90% of the time it is with standard cuttlery..
Just my opinion

All the best

M.S.
P.S. Banachecks Video is a good buy and has some very nice thinking and not just bending, you can tell he's spent the best part of his life doing it...
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 'Metal-bending' effects from Dealers: any good? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL