We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghost bride story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
Some dead people go waaaay too far to get a date.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I watched a movie based on this tradition a few months ago.
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Really? Do you remember the name of it? I had never heard of this before. I have a friend of mine who is an expert in Asian culture that promised to send me more information. If anyone else is interested, PM me and I will pass along anything interesting that she sends me.

Dave
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
I saw this article in a newspaper this morning. Quite a thought-provoking tradition.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3509 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Not only is this weird but it is hampered by many problems. What would be required for the preacher doing the ceremony? And,in a country that allows commonlaw marriage, this might get tricky. Since the husband is dead for a while, would it require a stand-in, such as the best man, to perform the required-by-law duties?
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Michael Midnight
View Profile
Regular user
Southern Swamp
104 Posts

Profile of Michael Midnight
I noticed the article mentioned these brides are for single men. As one who was once married, I wonder if this is a cruelty dreamed up by the old married guys in this village?
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I can see some great patter coming from this.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Dave:

The movie is, THE MAID. It is an import, here is a link to a review of the movie:
http://www.eofftv.com/kyashi/?page_id=27

Tony
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Thanks Tony. I appreciate it.

Dave
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I think my last wife was one such bride. At least in bed.

KOTAH
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

We are talking Ghost Brides, not Ice Queens.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Bringing this one back because I just got through reading some additional info from Dave (ptbeast) about the practice of corpse brides.
These corpse brides are very expensive, at least the real ones.
The poorer families with dead unmarried sons will bury them with a straw representation, a wife made of straw, so that they can be dead and have lived a life that was worth living (A life without a marriage was incomplete).
There is something there...A couple of ways to go...
Mind if I brainstorm for a sec?
And this is extremely simplified-complete rough draft...
In the tiny village of Chenjiayuan, in Shanxi Province, there lived a man by the name of Chen. He lived his life simply, as a farmer, never moving away from the family that he held so dear. He slept in his parents house, ate with his father and younger brother, eating only the food that they could grow on their own land, never venturing down into the village itself. He was content with his simple life, the food that he grew, the care with which his mother prepared it, the company of his father and brother.
His mother was always concerned for her older son. She saw that he has happy, but still incomplete. There were two halves to everything, and her son needed to find a bride to wed in order to be truly complete. She tried to convince him to go down into the village and find a bride to make him whole. He steadfastly refused, he did not need anything more than he already had. A house to live in, food to eat, and a family for company.
It was shortly after he had turned 35 when tragedy struck. While working his fields, his foot was struck by a snake. He had stepped on one of the small pit vipers that lived in the area and it had bit him in the flesh of the heel.
He fell into the dirt next to his spade, his eyes closed, and he was done.
It was his mother who found him.
They took him into the house to prepare him for burial. He was laid down where he normally slept and dressed in the best clothes he had. His mother wailed and cried, for her son had died as half of what he should have been, he had died incomplete and would go on to the next world unaccompanied by a spouse.
Desperate, she threw herself at her husbands feet. "We must find him a bride..." begging that her husband find a way to perform a minghun, the tradition of an afterlife marriage. To find some girl of age to bury with her dear beloved son, to make him happy in death as he had never been in life.
"This is foolish talk." He spoke in his simple way. "We are simple folk, and could not afford any sort of bride for our son. We will do the only thing that we can."
The father went out into the field where his son had died, and there he gathered up two great armfulls of cut straw. He brought the straw back to his wife, and laid it gently at her feet. "Take some of your cord, and bind this straw into the shape of a woman. Make it as pleasing as you can, and then dress it. We will lay it in the bed beside our son, and make it his bride."
She did as she was asked, bound the straw into the shape of a woman, and dressed it as best she could. Gently she carried it into her sons room and laid the straw bride down next to him.
"Here is your bride my son...May she stay by your side always." She knelt down and kissed her son's forehead.
It was warm.
She put her cheek by Chen's nose. She could feel the slightet touch of breath. He was alive.
His eyes struggled to open, and his lips moved "Cold Mother..." came out in the slightest sigh.
The fire was smouldering on the cold dirt floor. She took the straw bride and threw it on the embers where it was taken by the flames immediately. Color came back into Chen's face, and he sat up slowly. "I had the strangest dream..."
After that, Chen was a changed man. He knew he did not want to die alone, he felt incomplete, just as his mother had always told him. "One should always try to find their other half..."
A month after his brush with death, he went down into the village to find a wife.
He arranged for a modest dowry on a beautiful girl, one a little past the marrying age, but perfect for one such as himself. They married that same day and he took her home to the small cottage he had built.
He kissed her for the first time just before they entered their small home. Her lips tasted like straw and ash.
It was the next day when his parents found him in his house, his new bride missing, and straw scattered everywhere. He lay upon the floor dead, a lip print of ash upon his cheek, burns upon his arms, and the straw doll of his first wife in his arms.
His first bride didn't want to go off alone either.

Possible effects- Ashes to arm (Or in this case cheek), Stigmata, a good blister effect to the fingers, production of straw, a self immolating straw doll to be restored at the end.
I thought about adding a segment about the new bride feeling itchy, as though she were lying on straw, and it possibly driving her away, but wasn't sure.

Ok...That was INSANELY long. Unfortunately, I have one more idea. Shorter and simpler though. C'mon...You stuck with me this long...

There was a horrible man, as ugly in countenence as he was in personality. He was well off though, a merchant of means. He lived his life untouched by any love but for the love of his mother. As it was unseemly for a man of his stature to go through life unwed, and with the help of his mother he managed to buy himself a bride.
He was terrible to his new bride. If the food she prepared was not hot enough, he would toss it on the floor and stamp about in a rage. If it was too hot, he would throw it at her, scalding her hands and face. He would beat her, berate her, kept her dressed in rags while his clothes were of the finest quality.
Finally, it became too much for her to bear. One night she poisoned his food. Whilst he lay dying she bent over and whispered into his ear. "You will go through death as you should have life...You will be alone for all time, and no comfort from a woman will you have."
She stole off into the night never to be seen again.
The merchant's mother found the body of her son, and looking about saw that all of his wife's belongings were gone. She realized what had happened. Having enjoyed the life of respect that she had gathered because of her son, she developed a plan to keep his honor intact while giving him accompaniment to the afterlife.
She prepared the body for burial, and fashioned a wife of straw to lay next to him, dressing it and covering the face with a mask. She concentrated while she made the life sized doll, wishing it to have the same attributes as the wife that he had already had. She imbued the straw girl with beauty, a gentle heart, a quiet nature, those things that her son had taken advantage of in his original wife. She then weighed the doll with stones, so that it was heavy like a real girl.
She had men from the village carry her son's body and the straw girl to the grave that had been dug. They were placed into the hole embracing, enacting the rite of minghun, that they could both go to the afterlife together.
The earth was shoveled on top of them, and the mother went home to sleep.
She was awakened early the next morning by shouting from the grave site.
Rushing outside, she saw what had caused the commotion.
Where her son had been buried, the earth had been overturned. Lying on top of the broken ground lay the masked doll she had buried with her son.
Even a straw bride could not stand to be with him forever.

Simple effect...A small straw doll is crafted while telling the story, buried (Perhaps in a box) and then found to have disappeared when the box is dug back up (Or the doll is produced on top of the earth and the box is then dug up to show that it is empty)

Ok...Done now.
Any thoughts?
Gwyd
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Wow...Complete silence.
Maybe this isn't as good an idea as I thought.
Oops.
Gwyd
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Gwyd, I like both stories, but I don't know how to respond. The second, shorter one, is perhaps more practical since it is shorter, however I like very much the first because it is perhaps possible to include several effects which would make it hold together in spite of its length. I may be 'way off, however.

I have a tendency to be long-winded, myself, as I want to explain things that spectators may not be aware of or that are obscure. (See, I just did it!) I have to force myself to cut down on the verbiage.

At any rate, I think the ghost bride story has a lot of inherent interest and your stories can be developed into effective routines.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Thanks Bill...I feel better.
Gwyd
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I think that either story has potential. The first one, though it could stand a little editing, is not really all that long. Only a couple of minutes.

As far as effects, this seems to cry out for Daniel Greenwolf's Wickerman. I think that, told well, either of these stories could be very emotional.

You can, of course, go much darker with the use of "real" ghost brides, but I like the twists that you put at the end of these. I think you are headed down the right path.

Dave
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Digging up an old thread I know....

But on the radio today I heard a story about Ghost Brides and I thought you guys might be interested.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/afternoon_reading.shtml

It was the one broadcast today (Thursday)

Aidan
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
I dug it!

SW
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Why can I not open it?
THE PAGE NOT FOUND...

CC.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghost bride story (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL