The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-Working Card Book Library (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
What books should be included in a library of self-working, semi-automatic, efforless, etc. card books? I've got a pretty good library and am looking for ideas on what I've missed.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The Card Magic of Nick Trost..
Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie..
Card books by Karl Fulves..
To name a few.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Card College Lite by Roberto Giobbi
Bob Longe's books include quite a few self workers.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
John Scarne's 'Scarne on Card Tricks'.

The specific Karl Fulves books you should get are:
'Self-Working Card Tricks'
'More Self-Working Card Tricks'
'My Best Self-Working Card Tricks'
'Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic'
There's some duplication, but each has lots of original gems.

'The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks' also has many good self-workers.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3238 Posts

Profile of warren
Easy to do impromptu card magic by Aldo Colombini.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5367 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Any volume (or all volumes) of Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1245 Posts

Profile of MagicT
All the Marlo books.
Trini Montes
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 22:54, MagicT wrote:
All the Marlo books.

I don't think I would include these with any "self working" card effect books...
Rennie
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Right on, Magic T. Marlo's stuff is definitely child's play (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek). I second the Fulves "Self-Working" series and Card College Light.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...all great suggestions.

If you get the books mentioned above (except by Marlo (must really be a card worker for his stuff)), you'll have a nice section to your magic library and loads of effects to work with and study.

Have fun gathering your books and entertaining your family and friends. After all, to me, that's what magic is all about. FUN.

Mark. Smile
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Funny that no one has mentioned two of the classics:
"The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" - Hugard
"Scarne on Card Tricks" - Scarne
Both are available in paperback, easy to find and yet contain some of the best self working card magic found anywhere.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Paul, you must be tired. I've got them both in my list, way up there. Smile
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I wish these books had some kind of easy/hard-to-read rating system. I have Roberto Giobbi's card college light and it is very easy to read and understand what he is trying to teach. Also have Expert Card Technique: Close-up table magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, this book is hard to read and I rather put it back on the shelf to read something else.

Card College = Very easy to read
Expert Card Technique = Very hard to read

For many people it might not matter what book they are reading, but I am on a tight budget and only want to focus on easy-to-read books.

Many thanks
Keith
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Keith,
I have seen this criticism of a lot of Jean Hugard's books. Although I don't agree with it personally, I am beginning to get the sense that there's something in his style that makes his books off-putting to a lot of people.
I can only say that if you can get used to his style, there's gold in them there hills.
RRTCM, ECT, and the "Card Manipulations" and "More Card Manipulations", as well as "Greater Magic" (which Hugard completed after the death of J N Hilliard) are chock full of great stuff.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Thanks DStachowiak for the positive input on Jean Hugard books. After reading your message I went and picked up the book and started reading one of the tricks and got the message, but it was not easy. One thing I noticed about the book is that it is Jammed pack with information, a gold mine of tricks that I need to start paying attention. Lots of words and very few photos, that makes for tedious reading. Some of the words require me to look up in a dictionary, for example the word "Fulcrum." I have two dictionaries next to me just in case.

I think I have become used to reading easy-to-read books such as Card College series that I expect all books to be easy. That means I am gonna have to force myself to pick up books such as Jean Hugard's.

The real bad news is that there is so much information out there that I start to feel that there is less time available to learn and then apply the tricks. We live in a society where we want things done quickly, so is this a good thing or a bad thing. I guess it all depends.

Right now I need to "Shut-up" and start reading.

Later
Keith
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Just want to add one more thing.

Just from reading what everyone is saying here in this form. I am tempted to just go out and buy as many books as possible, just in case they ever go out of print. I can see that many of you already have a big library of Magic books.

If I do build my Magic library books, will I ever read them? Taking the time to read them will only decrease the time to go out and perform them. Also have a lot of catching up to do, I see many of you have extensive knowlegde on card tricks alone.

Right now I am going on line to order some books.

Time to spend money
Keith
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of seraph127
I love buying books.

Once in a great while, I like to read them.

Seriously, there's so much interesting literature that it's hardly feasible to devote a single, big block of time to reading, so you may wind up skimming for stuff that immediately grabs your attention, then going back at some later time to have a closer look at what you've got.

I'll second DStachowiak's sentiments on Hugard. ECT in particular will well reward your efforts.

Have fun!
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Juble
There's also some great easy effects in the "Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields". This is an absolutely fantastic book, with some hard-hitting effects from people like Bob Sheets and Paul Cummins, in addition to Fields' contributions - get it while you can!

Justin
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
On my 'to buy' list is 'Card College Light' by Roberto Giobbi, which is supposed to be all self-workers. While I'd love to own the whole 'Card College' series (and will if I ever hit the lottery), I suspect 'Card College Light' will better meet my needs.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2040 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The Card Magic of Nick Trost is the best card book, trust me..
Rennie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-Working Card Book Library (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL