The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-Working Card Book Library (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I second Rennie's recommendation.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
The Magic World of Stewart Judah has some "almost" self-working stuff.

The Marlo suggestion whether made tongue in cheek or not actually contains a nugget of truth. Most every Marlo book I have contains some self-working or nearly self-working material; you just have to find it. The Unexpected Card Book actually begins as I recall with a section (Marlo was being sarcastic himself) containing tricks that take no skill so Magicians could give their "all" to "presentation." (I don't think he thought their "all" was very much.) Anyway a lot of easy stuff in the Marlo books.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
In addition to the seven volumes in Steve Beam's SACT series, you really just need two other books...and they are both by Lewis Jones.

First, locate and purchase SEVENTH HEAVEN for the incredible magic and mentalism. Second, get Lewis's book ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IMPROMPTU CARD FORCES for the foundational material you'll need to create your own self-working effects in the future.

Trust me on this.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
IMPUZZIBILITIES - Jim Steinmeyer
Further Impuzzibilities - Jim Steinmeyer
Pavlo
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1086 Posts

Profile of Chris
Giobbi's Card College Light http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-light-p-452.html is now also available as ebook for $26 - an immediate PDF download.

As a reminder you can also get this on paper for $35 plus s&h either directly from Hermetic Press or from your preferred dealer. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Roberto Giobbi and Stephen Minch publicly for their forward thinking attitude to make this joint production possible. I am proud to be able to work with Roberto and Stephen to provide you with a variety of options to enjoy this fantastic material.

This is one of the few books I really really love. I read the original German edition in the late 80s when it first appeared and have ever since referred back to it. The important part with this ebook is that Roberto not just teaches you a number of the best self-working or sleightless card tricks, but he teaches you presentation, routining and a number of other important points and subtleties to make these effects absolute miracles.

Although I am not such a bad card handler myself I have time and time again fooled the pants off of my spectators and even magic friends with some of the most clever self-working tricks. For a performer these tricks are even more valuable than a knuckle buster because you can put so much more work into the presentation, timing, script, spectator handling etc., than if you have to master a sequence of difficult moves. Some consider this a beginners ebook. I consider this one of the most advanced works on card magic, because the cleverness in the tricks and presentation is at least on par with a riffle-pass or a centre deal. Of course, it is material that is also suitable for a beginner, but I think it needs an old and advanced hand to appreciate these effects and get the most out of it.

On my website you can read the full list of effects with effect description.

Best,
Chris....
http://www.lybrary.com
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Simon Aronson has some brilliant self-working effects. Check out his wonderful DVD series as a starting point, then venture forward to his fantastic books!

Yes, I'm a big fan of Simon Aronson!!

Cheers,
Jason
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
424 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
A couple of books not yet mentioned with a good percentage of self-workers are Annemann's Card Magic and Garcia and Schindler's Magic with Cards. One rarely sees the Annemann book mentioned on the MC and it is an overlooked classic in my estimation.

-Feral
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I did end up buying Giobbi's 'Card College Light' and I've got to say it's a must-have. His routining and presentation are flawless.

My favorite self-working trick used to be 'Gemini Twins'. After reading this book it's now 'T.N.T.' followed by 'Intuition'. You wouldn't believe the reactions I get!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
Aldo Colombini has (had?) a booklet out called "Impromptu Card Magic". I haven't read it myself, but if it has the same caliber of trick that his DVD series ("Impromptu Card Magic" - 3 dvd set) has, it is very good.

I've seen the booklet for sale at magic conventions, but had a hard time finding a lot of online stores that carried it (I saw tannens.com had it).
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Feral Chorus,

I'll have to check my Annemann's Card Magic again because I don't remember there being a lot of self-working stuff in it. Thanks for that suggestion.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
EricClark, thanks for the information. I've been looking for that Colombini book ever since I bought his Simply Impromp2 book, which also contains quite a few gems. In fact, it has become my "bible" for picking up some really great card tricks.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Aldo Colombini's Self-working Books. Both of them. Great magic from great minds.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
"What's Up Deck" by Aldo Colombini has a lot of material.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
807 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I would reccomend the 'Collected Tricks of Bob Hummer' by Karl Fulves (which is quite hard to get hold of). I would also reccomend 'Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks' also by Karl Fulves. This is published by Dover books and, happily, it is quite easy to get hold of...
jbk2006
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
230 Posts

Profile of jbk2006
Isn't there a book out by max maven(phil goldstein) on just packet tricks/selfworking tricks? I believe it was called "focus". I go through my books with the correct title unless someone beats me to it.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Yes, FOCUS is the correct title. This is a wonderful book. However, I don't recall it having particularly self-working tricks in it. Better know your packet sleights!
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Any books by Aldo Colombini,Peter Duffie and the Anneman Card book is full of self-workers.
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of alondon
Karl Fulves self working books have some stong and easy magic
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
Also check out Ellis Stanyon's Best Card Tricks and Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks (as compiled and edited by Karl Fulves).

Sean
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I second the recommendations for Card College Light, it's an amazing book that I find myself going back to often.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-Working Card Book Library (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL