The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
Hello all,
I've been playing with the herman and invisible turnover passes. I was wondering, should 'turnover' part be done vert slowly (ie., taaking about 3-5 seconds) if you don't have any angle problems? I was trying this and it seemed that if you 'get ready' then when you turnover you can do this extremely quickly and the card on the face just changes.
It seems tit should either be done very fast or quite slow, what are peoples' preferences?
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Are you wanting to do it as a secret move or a Color Change? As a secret move, you're just turning the deck over. As a color change, it should happen a little faster, to make the change instant.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
I think it partly depends on the application of the move and its context. However, the angles are pretty well covered if you tilt the deck down a bit. That being said, I personally do the turnover not too quickly, but still not too long before the turnover of the upper half. The move should be completely invisible. Give it some mirror work and find out what works for you.

Cody
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
How fast would you do it if you were turning over the deck? That's what I'd strive for. It shouldn't be the moment that the magic happens. Turn over the deck, allow some time, then make the magic happen. Make the turn over incidental and unimportant.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think to ensure the operation goes smoothly, make sure the bottom card is buckled and pushed off. The look is very casual and does not draw any attention. Jay Sankey has a nice one using Turnover Pass in Volumn 1 of his Secret Files with an effect called What If.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
rob101
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of rob101
Hej otter606

Do you mean the 'get ready' part of the pass? If you do, take as long as you want (if angles allow) I sometimes hold the two halfs at 90 degrees to each other with just my R hand. Just watch your L side!
Rob
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
Thanks all, will keep practicing!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 14:54, rob101 wrote:
I sometimes hold the two halfs at 90 degrees to each other with just my R hand.

You finally revealed the best secret in doing Pass for a large audience invisibly. This concept can be applied to Classic Pass also.

Why does this concept work? Pass is a reciprocating action. Doing two motions separately makes each motion inconspicuous. Doing reciprocating action too quickly, it produces a distinctive moment onlookers sense.

Of course this concpet is useless if your purpose of doing Pass is to boast your quickness and skillfulness.

Hideo Kato
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
IMHO, this thread should better be moved into the restricted area.

Andy
Cards never lie
rob101
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of rob101
I pretty new to the MagicCafe and must confess, I don't know what/where the restricted area is!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Sorry, I should have checked . . .

You need more than 50 mails in order to have access.

Andy
Cards never lie
Mr.Mystico
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mr.Mystico
Check this for speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKfsPznxMc

Some of it's done 'face-up' but of course, the pass is a 'utilized move' not an effect.
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Check out Steve Braun's Midnight Shift.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
There was a brilliant additon to this move published in MAGIC about 4 years ago. By slightly re-gripping the deck, the move becomes a lot more deceptive. It is well worth checking out...
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Harry Lorayne has interesting take on this move in one of his DVDs.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
I believe it should all depend on the performing situation and the appearance that the performer wants to give.

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
I would urge you to check out my buddy Philip Young's "Hermann Pass Variation" from his wonderful book entitled... "Fingers Don't Entertain, People Do!"
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 17:31, closeupcardist wrote:
I would urge you to check out my buddy Philip Young's "Hermann Pass Variation" from his wonderful book entitled... "Fingers Don't Entertain, People Do!"

Let me also recommend Aaron Fisher's "The Paper Engine" for a very good lesson on the Herrmann Pass
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Eric Fry
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
By the way, the name is spelled "Herrmann" after Alexander Herrmann, who supposedly favored this pass. He isn't credited with inventing it.
jalal12321
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of jalal12321
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 14:08, kvanliewpe wrote:
Check out Steve Braun's Midnight Shift.

Steve Draun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Turnover pass (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL