The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Jim Magus Dark Museum book alert (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I'd walk the plank to read that! Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey Eddie, howdjaknow?

Indeed, one of my two contributions features the Chup claw alone (the Conjuration of the Claw) - the other is using a shrunken head (Tsantsametry)- I figured since they were not the usual items used, I might as well toss in some dark effects using these items. I like chups- they are vampiric, don'tchaknow!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
It looks like the word has gotten out. Yes, Dr Spektor's routine is very good, and the only one in the book specifically using the chup claw (though other routines in the book could feature the claw). In my opinion it is worth the price of admission to the Museum. But so is one of Shane's. Those who have enjoyed Pentalogy can get a taste of two new routines in Shane's distinctive style, including one using a Higley ear, and one using the monkey's paw. Tony Eye also offers an entirely different and intriguing storyline (and method) using the monkey's paw. There are two additional monkey paw routines in the book that are tied to the W W Jacobs short story.

Ed Loveland offers a routine using an ear and a Lovecraftian storyline, while Clifford the Red brings us a great Lovecraftian story using the entire Dark Museum ensemble. The Seadawg's pirate tale which uses four Higleys is very clever and highly entertaining. Anyone who did not get enough of
Baba's style from Vo Du Ma Gick gets a new routine (anyone who has not yet picked up Baba's book will get the opportunity to sample his wares and will know why they need his book).

Master KOTAH offers a great story with a Yeti bigfoot toe, as well as a routine focusing on the Jivarho tribe using the entire Dark Museum set (but featuring the shrunken head), and then offers further routines that go beyond the Dark Museum. EvilDan cleverly adapts a classic mental plot to the Dark Museum set with a very nice story. Three routines are included using an ear (though, Eddie, they may not be a "final front ear"), as well as three routines using a dead man's hand fashioned into a hand of glory. Bill Fienning offers the multi-phase routine with the dead man's hand that he performed at a Weerd Weekend, while Michael Fraughton generously allows us to sample a portion of his fine book the Dark Waltz.

There are three routines using a Higley shrunken head, including a great routine from the prolific and legendary Ed Solomon, as well as Dr Spektor's wonderful shrunken head routine entitled "Tsantsachometry."

Both Dean "Stark" Montalbano and Chris Handa offer extremely clever presentations and different methods using the entire Dark Museum set. And as far as routines using the variation on the Dark Museum set, there are two using fEARS, including a routine by Mysician that will make your audience scream. The other involves a tale about those soldiers you may have heard about who take an ear as a souvenier of their kill.

I realize that I've gotten long winded (again), and that is probably not good form for a "tease." But this project began with a simple working title of "Thirteen Exhibits in the Dark Museum," and it grew quickly like one of Higley's Atomic Death Worms when others offered their homage to Doug. The project includes a routine using Higley's Pirate Toes that centers around the torture chambers of South America. And there is a routine about a deceased voodoo priest who was buried with his cellular phone. And another voodoo priest whose life was destroyed by the devastation of Katrina, but he returns from the grave to show his power has not diminished. Then there was the professor of parapsychology who died with one of the Higley items in his hand, and an ominous warning to others. Okay, enough!
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
All those great minds in one book, Surrounding the finest Bizarre props on the Planet Earth. Ain't it a great time to be alive?
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-01-28 13:32, Eddie Garland wrote:
I'd walk the plank to read that! Smile

Eddie...weren't you... yourself... a plank at one time? Smile

Rich
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Well, plank yeah... but more impressive...I was a tree at one time Smile

Book sounds so great gents! Outstanding!

Dr Spektor...it was merely a guess about the Chup claw...I did remember that you posted about acquiring one...so I assumed.
Wes_The_Magnificent
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Wes_The_Magnificent
A nice book for a beginner such as myself??
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
A nice book for anyone with an interest.

:readingbook:
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Can't answer for the book as I haven't seen it yet. But the Dark Museum itself is very easy to do and the props enhance your performance ability whatever level it's at. The idea is that the props allow for you to tell a story and focus the attention of your spectators on other than your mug. In that alone if I was a beginnner I would love it! haha

If you plan on doing mental type effects and Bizarre stuff this effect will fill a nice chunk of performance time...OR not. It can be done quickly as well if you want it to.

Is it a beginner trick? Why not? With the Dark Museum there are no manipulations or complex scripts or theories...it pretty much works itself. All depends on what you like...it's specialized to a degree...but it can be done in a regular act as well with a fun twist. I'll let the guys who actually do the effect fill in the blanks or argue the point. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I can absolutely guarantee that the Dark Museum is a great beginner/amateur effect. I've performed it dozens of times for friends and friends of friends, and it's always a crowd-pleaser.

I do HIGHLY recommend that you work up a good story to go with it - as Doug says above, that's what this trick is all about. Mine is very personalized; I talk about pirates, cannibals, and my own amputated toes! Yaarrgh!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
I loved the Chup claw enough to have already used it as a focus prop in our most recently-aired tv segments surrounding the movie HORROR EXPRESS.

Unfortunately, the claw arrived at the height of "busy season" so there wasn't much time to sit and think of routines to build around this particular prop and still submit it before Jim went to press. However, since owning it for several months, we have come up with several ideas. It is as Universal a prop (IMO) as the Monkey Paw and Shrunken Head. Many stories can be woven that involve the claw. We actually used it to produce the image of the demon that once had it attached to its body.

As for the DM being a beginner-level effect, I agree as far as M.O. goes, but my larger opinion re: presentation is included in the description of the effect I contributed for the book.

Regardless of level of comfort of presentation of the routine as written, the DM Book obviously shows the versatility of the props. There are many things from beginner to celebrity level that can be accomplished with the use of Doug's props. Buy yourself a couple of "starter props" (the addiction will soon take hold and you WILL want more!) and a copy of the book and see where imagination takes you!

Chris
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heck yeah, I already ordered full scale monstrosities from Doug now that I am a total z-bit addict!

(The chup claw is great because it is the one item from the msueum that is cryptozoological Smile (well I suppose you can make up any tales for the other items too! But they don't have alien orange fur and evil looking xeno-claws)
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Alien Orange Fur???? PUH-leeze!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Come on - we all know the Chup is an ET...ok...maybe not orange....titian?

(This coming from a guy describing a Martian Hob's carapice colour as keylime pie - but exorcist greenish pukey - whatchaexpect?)

Chup chup chup cup and eyeball routine!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Martian Hobs were Yellow. Watch the movie again. Never mind those off color internet photos....are your eyes ok Doc?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
In the original BBC serial, they are black and white - gee Doug, whatcha been smoking?!?!

Maybe you saw a sepia print Smile?

Now in the Hammer version, they are green as well - I have the DVD from Anchor Bay - but those hobs are terrible and look ridiculous compared to the original bug monsters in the BBC TV serials....

Little green martian men(?) - not yellow! Hmm... ask a friend to make sure your eyes aren't getting juandiced Smile...

As for my eyes, I got my Speks Smile

P.S. For anyone who wants to see the Quatermass original series from the 50s, there is a DVD trilogy set fully restored - which is EXCELLENT (because they even have the hokey monster asteroid with the crazy tentacles in QII which the movie left out due to budget)....

(Why is this on this thread - Doug has kindly engaged in creating a Hob from Q and the Pit for my latest insane endevours....(yes, an entire "pseudoscience seance") stay tuned and watch the underground!)

P.S. Don't go yellow - GREEN GREEN
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I decided because of the previous post to make it Pink. Little PINK Hob Piggies from space.

Anchor Bay may have colorized it green...but I saw it IN THEATER and they were YELLOW. Now lets stop this HOB-ish behavior and go back to the book stuff.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm... pink. That actually is very freaky. At least it isn't chatreuse.

OK back to the book - I am overjoyed to be part of a historic document!!!

Wild idea - maybe one day we can have an actual Midnight in the Dark Museum Gathering - find a nice big city, hold a bizarrist gathering - and one of the events would be renting a space at an old creepy museum or art gallery, and all of us can do our pet effects with the Higley art pieces.... wouldn't that be fun?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7170 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yeah...and we can all sit around the camp fire, sing Gregorian chants, cook beans and do a big Blazing Saddles Fart. Wait till after I croak please. Remember, I'm a hermit.

Canadians.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey, we have sasquatch up here... I am sure they would be intrigued with a campfire version!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Jim Magus Dark Museum book alert (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL