The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Help with "Misled" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
waterford
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of waterford
I'm referring to Timothy Wenk's pencil through bill trick, Misled. I have been practicing it for a couple weeks to smooth out handling of the gimmick. From those of you who do the trick,I would appreciate any general handling tips -- within the boundaries of protecting the modus operandi.

But the one thing in particular that I'd like some help on is the first penetration. I have not been able, when pushing the pencil up "through" the bill, to get a sound that simulates a penetration; this really takes away from the illusion, in my view. Has anyone else encountered this problem and dealt with it?
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Just do the routine. You are fine if it does not make the perfect ripping sound. Take a look at what you said, "this really takes away from the illusion, IN MY VIEW."

Try it out and see what your spectators say. If they react then you just might have a winner on your hands, which you do.

As for myself I have done that routine over and over and the reaction is always killer. However there is one point that you need to focus on that most magicians miss. The amazing thing is not that you have pushed a pencil through a dollar bill. The MAGIC comes from sealing up the hole.

C
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Perform it exactly like Copperfield.... It Works!!!
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
dmm
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of dmm
When you fold the bill in half and place what you need behind make sure with your free hand that you make the bill crisp, then put the tip of the pencil where it needs to go, but not to far in.

With your free hand smack the bottom of the pencil in the upwards motion, this almost always give you a pop and I have done this thousands upon thousands of times, just keep working on it, and don't' show it till your ready!

This is a great effect to practive in a mirror!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I posted on another thread in the Café about this, but I'll try it here too. I recently picked this up and would love to see a good smooth demo of it. Does anyone know if there's one online (I couldn't find one by Googling)? Or, even better, if Copperfield's performance can be seen somewhere?
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Quote:
On 2007-02-02 20:45, bugjack wrote:
I recently picked this up and would love to see a good smooth demo of it. Does anyone know if there's one online (I couldn't find one by Googling)?

A search on "misled magic" produces a bunch of hits on youtube.com
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Follow DMM's directions 3 posts above, I do the effect this way and you really
get that nice popping sound that your looking for.
Goodluck
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Read the instructions - they have a little tip on this. Allow the bill to form a gentle point as the pencil rides up before the penetration. A sharp(ish) pencil will work well here. Then hit it to push it through. Cheers,

Chris
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Doesn't Copperfield perform it so he ppushes the shot end through the bill first? I think it looks much better the other way around.
Nick
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Here's a link to David Copperfield performing Misled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3QU4CF41c

Enjoy

Matt
Aim To Amaze
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Thanks montemagic, seeing Copperfield perform it really gives me a new perspective on presentation.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
No problem, it did the same for me.
Aim To Amaze
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
At the end of the routine I finished up with "Dough" by Sankey. 3 different penetrations in a row, this blew my guests away last night.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
Blow the letters 'ffff' through your lipps during the pencil-tration.
waterford
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of waterford
Many thanks to all who gave me suggestions on Misled. It was particularly helpful, montemagic, to see Copperfield's rendition -- thanks for that. All the comments were extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks for taking the time!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Anyone found a good source for pencils that look closest to it, so to speak, for replacements?

I know a lot of people say that it is not important, but the colour variance bugs me and I have had someone actually note the colour before.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Go find a Dixon Ticonderoga. Go to Office Depot (or Staples or whatever you have) and buy them by the box. They are the world's best pencil. Also, I agree with Krist of Limbo. Opening your mouth ever so slightly and making the "ppffftttt" sound is VERY convincing. Dan Harlan taught that (in another context) at a lecture, and it fooled everyone.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
You know what? And I jsut realised this watching DC's performance again, everyone SAYS that they will show, mark, or find the center of the bill with the pencil, but it doesn't go THROUGH the center.

This was actually a big oops in DC's performance. He displayed it wrong and you can see that the pencil has "pierced" the bill about a third of its (the bill's) width in, and NOT the fold in the center where it SHOULD have.

This is actually one of the tiny things I liked about the "knock off" one, that it DID go to the center, but also why, with the REAL mis-lead, I actually do NOT fold it really when I pierce it,and also do it upside down from most and give the illusion that I just jam it through at a random point in the bill.

Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Gdw, if you fold the bill slightly uneven, it does allow the gimmick to rest against the fold thus giving the appearance that it has penetrated the "center".
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
That's sort of what I do, and what I was gettig at. DC, unfortunately, did not do this, however, leading to the aforementioned discrepency.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Help with "Misled" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL