The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Doug Henning video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13989 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ran across this short video of Doug Henning on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9hQg5N9K1Y&NR
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Enjoyed it very much. Thanks!

I sure miss him. What a personality, he was magic!!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks for that Daff........Doug never ceases to amaze me. It seems that he had a grip on what makes magic truly magical like nobody before him....or in many cases, after him.

As difficult to get information as it can be at times, I wish I could get a handle as to why nobody's working on a book about Doug. All the main players are still alive, but already there are folks who have dissapeared from the magic scene and likely going to be hard to find.
I just don't understand it.
Jim Steinmeyer would of course be the natural guy, but he's not commented one way or another about a book.

One side note. The chap (he's posted here before) who owns the internet domain http://www.doughenning.com has not done a single thing to his site since his much ballyhooed "remake" of the site about a year ago. It's a Wiki site, so it's literally empty.
Saddly, 17,000 people have visited the domain to find out about Doug, only to find an empty Wiki shell.
It's a shame the domain owner can't see what's wrong with owning that domain name and doing nothing at all with it.
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Well stated silverking.

I couldn't agree more with all your comments.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I know that we are disappointed that nothing developed on the site. However, what is his obligation to the public?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Hi Bob,

His obligation? I guess none? But then why have a “public” web site and tout it here at the Café? Which he did some time ago. If nothing is going to followed up on and maintained, it all seems rather pointless. I don’t know enough about a "wiki" and how it works to know if people just aren’t contributing, or if they can’t for some reason. Maybe others can share what’s really going on with the site. It's sad on any account.

Personally, I would love it if someone like Mike Caveney would publish a book about Doug's life. There’s nothing Mike does that’s not first class from content to bookmaking, and that’s what Doug deserves. It would be a fine addition to his magic pro-file series.

Regards, Mark
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
No doubt about it.

Bob
Bob Sanders

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
what is his obligation to the public?

Zero Bob, but magi everywhere (including the chap who owns the domain name) simply owe it to Doug.

With the #1 domain name folks are going to look up when they want to know more about Doug, it's really about doing what's right.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Oh! Please feel that way about Bob.com someday!

Just kidding. There probably is a Bob.com somewhere.

I do agree with you the name sets an expectation. I'm disappointed too.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I was trying to recall a performance of Doug from one of his TV specials. He was doing the Chinesee Water Torture escape. It was covered and the time was running low, then someone from off stage came running in (wearing a hood) with an ax like there was something wrong almost in a panic. Well the curtain dropped just as he was swinging the ax and Doug was now gone from the tank. The concerned stage man lifted his hood and sure enough it was Doug.

I am pretty sure that is how everything went down, I would love to see that performance again if anyone has any links. I have not heard of any tapes being produced of his show, but if I am wrong let me know. I always enjoyed Doug and his great smile!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
There is a DVD "featuring a pristine new film-to-video transfer from original source materials" of Doug's THE MAGIC SHOW distributed by IMAGE Entertainment.

There's also a video around of his T.V. special with Bill Cosby. I wonder what other visual records are available?

I had the good fortune to meet Doug and Debbie (I think that's her name) right before or right after they were married. We spent quite a bit of time with them at their gigantic road trailer after a show at (I believe) the Star Theatre in Indiana years and years ago. They were both very cordial and down-to-earth people that you'd like to have for friends.

Julie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26966 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-01-28 18:06, Damon wrote:...I would love it if someone like Mike Caveney would ...

And what are you offering in return for all that hard work you are requesting?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
........To buy the book when he's done?

Seriously though, I think a book about Doug would sell out pretty quickly, but of course all magi can offer is to buy it when it's finished.

The thing about Doug's complete story is that there's about five guys who were with him at various times from 1973 until Doug left magic. Each of those five guys has their part of the story, and not many more folks have the same level of detail and potential anecdotes for the telling in their heads.

Of those five guys, a couple of them have dissapeared from magic.
Of those we know of, only Jim Steinmeyer and Charlie Reynolds (who wrote the Houdini book with Doug) are well known as authors. John Gaughan has written as well, but he's as busy as Jim and Charlie are.
The others with material to contribute might be Debbie, Glen Priest, Brian Lumley, and Ivan Reitman. The events leading up to "The Magic Show" going to Broadway would really need the input of Glenn and Ivan, Glen's whereabouts currently not known.

The backstory to Dougs Toronto production of "Spellbound" would depend heavily on his family and friends as well, all getting older (as are we all).

I guess one can daydream about a book on Doug. Whether it happens though, as Jonathan has pointed out, really depends on who would want to put the massive amount of work into making it a reality........I hope somebody with the tools, backstory and skills takes it up.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
A fan from winnipeg, manages a myspace page for doug too.

its super cool btw...not because I'm in his top 24.

There some videos there too:
http://www.myspace.com/doug_henning
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13989 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I too agree that with the high profile Doug held in magic during his time, and his contributions to the history of our art, it's a TRAVESTY that no books have yet been written on him.

I mean, THINK about it..if it weren't for his willingness to help shed the traditional image of a magician as a stiff guy in a formal tux and tails doing doves, we all may not be here today.

Doug literally CHANGED the face of magic. Just as the world has a calender that is divided between either B.C, or A.D., so there was a dividing time line in magic..it happened in the seventies, and the hippie looking guy with the boyish grin, moustache, buck teeth and colorful duds was the one who was behind it all.

We all owe him a big debt of thanks, and a book in his honor would be the LEAST we could do.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Cool, I love the video
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Thanks for posting this clip, there was another posted in another thread (search, it was pretty recent) of Doug on the Captain Kangaroo Show.
I wish one of the cable networks would re-run his old TV specials, I really believe they would stand up today, although I'm sure there would be plenty of carping from the "peanut gallery" about the tie-dyes and bell bottoms.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
One day I will release my video interview with Doug (the only in-depth interview he ever gave, so he told me) on DVD. It is not studio quality, but was done just for my own note-taking for the MAGIC magazine story on him in 1999. Still, it's neat to hear his own story in his own words.

Just don't ask me when it will happen. Too many other things on the burner right now.

I am sure that some day there will be a book.

Regards -
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Doug Henning video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL