The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Edgar Bergen... Psychic Reader! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1322 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Just a brief interjection for any here who love Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy as much as I have since childhood... I stumbled on this clip of Edgar doing a psychic reading for Charlie (with little success). It looks like a USO type performance for military personnel... Wonderful!

Bergen never mastered the non-moving lips part, but the entertainment was always TOP notch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qjCho5Jo3E

Seth
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Thank you for the reference to the Edgar Bergan clip. It was a real treat for me.
Bergan's real strength was on radio even though he did appear in a number of
movies. Yes, his lips obviously moved but it didn't matter. It was what Charlie said not how he said it. Charlie and W.C. Fields always had a real radio fued going..in jest of course. Wasn't Edgar's daughter Candice something special? Since we are on nostalgia, this months issue of the Big Reel has an article on an old tv program called The Great Foudini (a puppet).He was the creation of Morey & Hope Bunin. If interested you can contact Eric Bunin at ..ebunin@nyc.rr.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
As I understand it, his lips didn't move as much when he was in Vaudeville, though he was never the world's most skilled ventriloquist. But when he went into Radio he just gave up.

People loved him for his memorable characters and impeccable comedic timing. And isn't being in a comic duo easier when you play both the parts? Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Bergen
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
My understanding is Edgar would be more careful with his lip control if he knew another ventriloquist was in the audience.

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Cute routine, Mortimer was always my favorite, yup, he was...yup, yup, yup
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Wonderful clip! It was amazing how much life Bergen gave to Charlie, considering that the puppet had only moving mouth and head.

bob
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That was a good act.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 20:10, Bob Baker wrote:
Wonderful clip! It was amazing how much life Bergen gave to Charlie, considering that the puppet had only moving mouth and head.

bob

Yes..It is a superb lesson of impeccable timing.

Best.
Rich
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
As noted, Charlie McCarthy, unlike modern high-tech vent figures, had only a moving lower jaw and head, which was on a stick. Very primitive by today's standards. Moreover, as I understand it from a ventriloquist friend, the mouth was operated by a ring that was tied on a string. The very lowest of low tech.

The message here, whether you are a vent or a mentalist, it's not the fancy props you use, but your ability to entertain the audience. Bergen was a storyteller and Charlie and the clan were his very simple props.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
To my great enjoyment..I just watched this again.

There is another lesson here for all performers..including... ME!..

This skit was so well rehearsed that Mr. Bergen could probably do it in his sleep.[notice all the perfectly executed interactions]WOW!

That allowed him the luxury and flexibility to use his execution and presentation to ENTERTAIN...BIG TIME.

Best.
Rich
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
First time I have ever Seen Edgar Bergen. didn't know who he was before this thread. Thanks for posting this.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Here's a nice Wikipedia article about Bergen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Bergen

Testament to how great his characters were was that his greatest popularity was on the radio. Think about that!

Bob

P.S. Say, wasn't that Dunninger fellow on the radio, too?
Metone
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Metone
Does anyone know where to find the old movies with bergen in them?
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Don't hold me to this, but I think YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN, in Edgar, Charlie, and Mortimer costar with W.C. Fields, is available on DVD. Several years ago, I bought the VHS of FUN AND FANCY FREE, in which Edgar starred for Disney; I have no idea if there is a DVD version of that film, but Disney does seem to be releasing most of its library on DVD.

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
I own many old movies including silent films. Almost any movie is available either in vhs or dvd format. Edgar Bergans films are availble for instance from http://www.bestprices.com. Of course there is always the old reliable search (google.com). The old films had movie STARS while some of todays "stars" are actually just movie ACTORS. Those interested might want to subscribe to a monthly publication called the BIG REEL. It only concerns old movies and sells many of them in the original film venue. You might be shocked at the price of an old movie on film. It also contains a lot of reading material about various actors and movies and will give you numerous sources for buying old movies on video and dvd.www.BIGREEL.COM. Enjoy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Edgar Bergen... Psychic Reader! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL