The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope loop to linking ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I posted this elsewhere, but I think it will get more exposure here.

I'm looking for a way to take a loop of rope (sort of like FLIP uses) and at the end of the rope number, transform (hopefully visually) the loop into a linking ring as a transition to a linking rings routine.

Is there a method out there for doing this? Where can I find it if there is?

I have a couple of ideas, but I don't think they are very practical. (A rope [ over a ring for one, but that way the flexibility of the loop is lost.)

Thanks and Best,
Jim
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2599 Posts

Profile of John Long
Jim

I am not clear about what you want, when you say "transform (hopefully visually) the loop into a linking ring "

- Do you want a linking rope routine? There are gimmicked and non-gimmicked versions of this.

- Do you want the rope itself to transform(i.e.; turn into) into a ring?
use a m****r goblet, or some other method to do a switch

- Do you want a ring to suddenly link onto the rope?
There are *many* ways to do this. You could start with Fulve's Self Working Rope to find a number of ways to do this. You will also find a lot in the Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, or if you want a DVD, Daryl has a very thorough 3 DVD set, but you can find what you need in the two books.

- There are ['s for rings, They are sold under the name Jardine Ellis Rings, and they can be used to get the ring on and off the rope. I've seen a video of someone doing this, it looks good, but my hands are way to dry to do the sleights with that shape of a [.

John
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Hi thanks for getting back to me.

I want a loop of rope to transform into a ring. I'd like to do it "plain view"

Forgive my ignorance, I'm usually better at reading **** but I'm not sure what a m****r goblet is. Point me to a resource?

Thanks
Jim
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2599 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ok, I don't think it is inappropriate for me to use the actual name of a marketed prop - do a search at your favorite dealer for a mirror goblet.

There is a demo at this site, but it is somewhat expensive:
http://www.thetrickery.com/full/Magic-Tr......6081.htm

I bought a cheap "mirror wine glass" from
http://www.maxello.com/index.php

Last December, I used it to change a pile of dirt into a piece of rope. It worked just fine.

As far as in "plain view", wellll, while holding the glass in an outstrectch arm, I covered briefly it with a silk, then wisked the silk away to reveal the change. I worked on doing the change by just waving my hand over the glass, but I needed more practice than time allowed, and I think the glass sold by Trickery would work better for that method than the one from Maxello.

As I re-read your initial request(especially the comment about a *rope*-[ ), it seems you may have a different type of effect in mind than the rope to ring switch I talked about. I am not aware of any effect that will accomplish the transformation more visually than the mirror glass, but let us know if you come accross something.

John

John
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
John,

Thanks again. The original thread I asked this question in re-awakened overnight and there is an idea there about a hold out and some flash string. Now I have some things to think about and work with.

Thanks again
Jim
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2599 Posts

Profile of John Long
Can you post the other link. I would enjoying reading of other's perspective on this, and it sounds like that may be closer to what you wanted!

John
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=45

I'm thinking something along the lines of splitting a piece of rope, wrapping it around the ring, wrapping some flash string around that, or "stitching it together" with flash string. Then switch that preparation in at the last second to replace a loop of rope the same size. Flash, pull of the split rope, and go from there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope loop to linking ring? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL