The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Chubacabra Exhibit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I doubt it Doug.

You'll be safe in your cave and the regulars of society will be none the wiser.

And like you say...no one cares...the only reason you get them is because of the curiosity.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well doubt this... The site has had TONS of hits today from a piece Loren Coleman did on cryptomundo.com as a result of that photo.

Sorry to say, my hunches are rarely wrong. It'll blow over sooner than later I hope.

At least he said I was a 'genius'. Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
This is why you truely are 'the man' Doug!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Only a genius? How insulting! You're so much more!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam.

Looking up Loren Coleman's impressive credentials in Wikipedia...I guess I'm flattered he would think that. Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Of course it will blow over very soon. I first bumped into your site through a Snopes.com piece about a Mer photo that was circulating on the internet. Probably nobody remembers that.

This should in no way harm the business because nobody is supposed to know what sort of strange thing they might be seeing ahead of time. Does it matter whether they wonder "Is it real?" "Is it a gaff?" "Is it a joke?" or "Is it a Higley?"

Personally, I'd be willing to pay more than most folks charge if I knew I were going to see an authentic Higley Zibit.

I wonder if all those British charity supporters that viewed the Zibits this year suddenly found out they were all gaffs, how many might pay again to take a second, even closer look?
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Perfect points CJ.

It's like my argument that most exposure of magic means zippozero. The example being the Svengali Deck which has bben exposed to MILLIONS with no affect except more sales of the thing because NO ONE remembers! Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Today it's a front page link on coast to coast am...good grief. Site is getting slammed.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
To suggest that us squeeky clean honest Showmen could possible sink to such a low level as to exhibit a fake would be enforced by too many knowing that there are such unscrupealus people who are prepared to make them....I stand by my original posting on this. Plant the seed of doubt in advance and less people will believe! So less will pay.

Yes I believe there is a real Father Christmas, Magic is real not trickery and its impossible for me to get out of this gimmed Strait Jacket,,,,,if I was a nonbeliever the mortgage would not get paid!

Sell that lie!!

Ken
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Regarding 'sinking to such a low level'...This is on my site Ken for the Replica Skulls ( hjttp://JungleSkull.com )

"Regarding showing of Scientifically Accurate Replicas and casts in your show or attraction: You may or may not know that many museums do not show the actual super star specimens...these are often stored below or many miles away. Correct Casts are used. (Foolertainment at work.) Art Museums have a practice of displaying a REPLICA (ie: blatant Fake) of a famous Painting unbeknownst to the viewing public. It's a long tradition...sometimes it's for security purposes and sometimes they just can't afford the real thing! And in many cases they don't tell the paying customer. I do not recommend you lie that it's real when asked. So technically it is not a 'gaff' thus I use the term Legit not as a superior term...just different in that these creatures really did walk the earth and eat folks. (Well, some did...)"

We sink not. Also people will pay to see a fraud just as much maybe even more. It will be forgotten anyway.

There are countless Millions (actually Billions) who are potential customers for the shows and only a few thousand will see a sneek peek on the inside from the links. Not an issue really.

And you are absolutely ciorrect...there IS a Santa!
Higley's Doug's Museum
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
!I appreciate your support Doug!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
You have no idea and thank you. I have struggled to keep this out of the public eye in many ways for many years and of course lost a few tons of income because of it. But it was inevitable with the internet that someday it would be discovered by 'outsiders' on a large scale and not just some kid with a web page stealing a photo or two. I have kept it off eBay for purely reasons of loyalty to the showmen...even when a few sales would have pulled us through some really tough times...so I'm gritting my teeth and weathering this as best I can without making drastic knee jerk changes to the site...but that may occur as well if the onslaught doesn't slow.

I have ONLY promoted on the Café for that reason...a deep core belief in what we are doing and the way to do it is for 'us' only...those who 'get it'.

I always knew though HOW it would come and WHY it would come...and the only reason it's taken so long is that most all the showmen 'got it' and displayed properly without drawing 'heat' or scrutiny.

I'm trying to look at it like any magic dealer site where anybody can go in and see what's available to no detrement.

Most sites and dealers would kill for this kind of exposure and the hits I'm getting but then they don't mind selling to just anybody...I have nothing to sell to 'muggles'...though I did rehab the Legit page of skull replicas and Dino stuff which I may use as a diversion and camoflage.

One thing for sure...coasttocoastam is a powerhouse!
Higley's Doug's Museum
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
Sorry to let my bias show, but I'm surprised that Coast to Coast would take the time to debunk ANYTHING.

Chris
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Not a debunk...just a support of Loren's 'Investigation'...hahaha.

You can count on Coast To Coast for one thing (well two) Gloom and Doom it's the End of The World.

By the way...there may be some mis-direction showing up on my site over the next couple of days. Not to be concerned.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
OK...busted my tail making changes. Hopefully you won't notice but those coming from coast to coast and Loren's site will be given 'just enough' to wet an appetite.

Never mind how I did it. It was a lot of thinking and work though. So all you showmen can relax...secrets are safe....for now.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
For all my showmen who are following this...I'm serious as a heart attack about WHY to follow the guidelines and not lie about the Zibits. Set up debate with the customer whether it's a hoax or not...let them wonder, create a mystery, but don't flat out claim a lie and ruin it for others who READ the How-To, follow the How-To and understand WHY it works.

If you do want to go old school, that's your business of course but, as much as I neede it, I don't want your business if you do. Simple as that. That's old time sideshow scam attitude that the customers are marks to rip off and make a fool of...that just isn't the way it's done these days and succeed with my stuff.

Cripes, even an old hard core midway showman like Kondini gets it and made a major score by using his head for more than poundng nails into! Smile

I created the How-To to start a rebirth of the grind shows...and it has done that big time. My values and principls haven't changed and the chemistry and dynamics haven't changed as to why the rebirth occured and continues to grow in leaps...But it only takes one or two to cause the venues to begin to question whether or not they want a little show to work their lot.
Higley's Doug's Museum
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 13:45, MagicSanta wrote:
No one knows what David said to this fellow and if he is a Coast to Coast listener, one of the worse radio shows I've ever heard (Art Bell was particularly bad) he, the poster, likely slanted it to fit the 'we believe anything' atmosphere.

Doug and I have had many convewrsations regarding the HOW TO.. but let me just comment on this one aspect that is particular to the states. I will get folks asking me if I know of Art Bell and Coast To Coast... In my Professorial tones, I reply that "Why no, what is that? (Knowing full well about Coast To Coast), they then begin to breifly tell me about the program and where I can turn in locally, I thank them and that is that...

is it real?

If I may ask Kondini, how did you handle that question when posed by the royals, et al?

ciao
abigkahua
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I would say..."Wouldn't we all like to know the answer to that one! I know this, it;s REALLY strange...don't you agree?"
Then Change the subject. As long as they ASK the question there is belief with a touch of doubt. LEAVE IT THERE.

If thjey say "That's not real." Notice there is actually a question mark there in the asking even thoug unsounded. It translates to "It's not real...is it?"

Leave them their belief and their doubts. They leave you with a dollar. Fair trade.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Just leave them with "You have seen, you are the judges" I just present what ever they are and take your money!

This always gets a laugh and puts the ball into their court.

Also,,,,"That`s not real" Reply "Isn`t it"

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Chubacabra Exhibit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL