The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Old style liquid roughing fluid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Does anyone know a supplier of the old style liquid roughing fluid that you applied with cotton wool(preferably in the UK)?

I've tried the aerosol/spray can version but find it stains the cards and certainly doesn't last long enough for regular usage.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Not a UK site, but here's the product you should be looking for...
http://lighthousehobbies.com/CatalogDetails.aspx?id=9032

Here's some interesting info I pulled from a post last year, too:

"The original ingredient for roughing fluid was carbolic acid (now it is called "phenol"). Testors Dullcote is the same thing. Most of us are familiar with the spray (Dullcote #1260) but do you know that the liquid is still available? It is sold as Testors Dullcote #1160. There are some applications where it is much easier to apply roughing fluid with a brush, cotton swab or cotton ball. It is possible to buy phenol in the form of disinfectants also (e.g. Lysol)."

Best of luck!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Just a note before you pick up your big bottle of carbolic acid. This stuff is not only highly poisonous, but caustic as well.
The amount of carbolic acid (or phenol, the active ingrediant in Carbolic Acid) in Dullcoat or Krylon is small compared to a bottle full of pure carbolic acid.

I don't know if you've got kids Barry, but this stuff can be deadly even in small quantities.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Its funny you should mention that as I often wonder what chemicals are actually on a deck of treated cards. I mean, are they suitable for a child to handle? Possibly not.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Carbolic acid was the original ingredient, way back when... . I seriously doubt if anyone still uses it in its pure form for the exact reason mentioned in Silverking's post. Nasty stuff, to be sure! Testors still contains a small amount, though, which is something to be aware of.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Krylon or Testors is basically a flat lacquer that, once dry is fine for handling by anybody.

I'm not sure what trace amounts of Carbolic Acid would do to a kid, but I'd never touch the stuff myself.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Thanks for the info lads.

Dunno about the old style liquid roughing fluid being dangerous but the fumes from the spray can variety is enough to take out an army!
Barry Allen

pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I only spray outside.
johnnyboy
View Profile
New user
Portugal
47 Posts

Profile of johnnyboy
I used to manufacture the liquid fluid, which was applied with a soft pad of cloth to the card. The solvent would evaporate leaving the resin coating penetrating the cards surface. For some reason the cheaper quality card would have the best results. We used to wonder why, until Sherlock Holmes solved the mystery. The better USA quality cards where being made with a special coating which made them more durable to use but the coating prevented the solvent absorbing into the card. A card with a smooth surface will not allow adhesion.
I know have a better system which we apply with a special roller to all our products , it does not distort the colour of the card, no fumes. However if you use one of the Sprays which are on the market you should cut out a card board mask and spray the centre of the card, if not the spray can enter the edges of the laminate and stain. Wow i:m going for a lie down after all that
7o but rocking on
mchristy
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC area
25 Posts

Profile of mchristy
I'm not sure what's available in the UK, but I've had some luck with "RUST-OLEUM American Accents Clear Top Coat" It's has on the label as "7902830 Matte Clear"

I've only made 2 Invisibles using different brands of cheap decks, but they've worked well, and I've been pleased with the results. Nothing has yellowed or curled up on me yet!

I'm going to try it on some bikes this weekend.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Johnnyboy - have you got a website as I note you sell/manufacture?

Lads thanks for all the advice so far. I take on board what some have stated about spraying outdoors and I have tried this - although any slight gust of wind can cause one or two problems!

My main concern is the actual can variety roughing spray - it just doesn't last anywhere near as long as the old style liquid.
Barry Allen

gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Here is a tip for those of you who want to make "old Style" roughing fluid. Go to a costume supplier and purchase a small bottle of spirit gum. No dilute that with pure rubbing alcohol at approximately 5/1.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In the 60s what was common knowledge was using Gum Arabic and alcohol.

It was not without problems. After about three years the treated cards yellowed. But it was what we knew to do and it worked.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
chrisgq
View Profile
New user
WV/Florida
58 Posts

Profile of chrisgq
I just used Krylon Matte Coat for the first time and its works great for me. It's been a few months now and I have'nt gotten any staining
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In an absolute emergency and especially with jumbo cards, you can shake up a Coca-Cola and spray the cards LIGHTLY with Coke. It will stick once but it also makes a noise when you separate them. Yet it will get you through the show.

Someday I need to write a book on, "It's Showtime and My Luggage and Props Are Where?"

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I used bottled roughing fluid, many years ago, I put a cotton ball into the opening and used the bottle like a magic marker. Worked great! When I was done, I just removed the cotton ball and replaced the cap.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
LOL Bob, I would definitely buy that book!

I also love this quote:

Quote:
In the 60s what was common knowledge was using Gum Arabic and alcohol.
It was not without problems. After about three years the treated cards yellowed. But it was what we knew to do and it worked.

I would have done that in a Dana Carvey 'grumpy old man' voice and ended with 'and we LIKED it!" Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Old style liquid roughing fluid (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL