The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Jay Inglee Coin Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Hi there

I'm a big fan of Jay Inglee's work, and heard he'd published a coin trick in the old Magic Man Examiner #3 titled "The Mermaid's Blessing". If anyone has a copy, could they send me a brief description of the effect? I was just wondering if it was worth tracking down a copy of this elusive issue.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I can't say if it's worth the effort, since I'm not sure how hard it is to track down MME#3. I can tell you that it's a good example of a coins across designed from the effect backwards. In other words, it seems that Mr. Inglee had a clear picture in his head of what the routine should look like, and then he worked out the moves to accomplish that.

The basic idea is that three "Mermaid" coins are removed from a cloth bag. The bag is set on the spectator's cupped hands, as a sort of landing pad. One at time, the coins vanish from the magician's hand and appear on the bag. And there's an inevitable surprise for the third coin.

It's a good routine, the moves are a bit beyond basic, but nowhere near impossible. Good luck.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Thanks Curtis

I was curious what a coin routine from Mr. Inglee would look like, as I primarily know him as a mentalist/bizarreist. I thought perhaps he'd have some weird presentation for the effect.

thanks again for the info!

Matt
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You're welcome, of course. I think I may have given you the wrong impression by talking about just the bare bones of the routine. You're right, there is a presentation tied up with a hint of a fable. It really is the most important part, and it provides a reason for the coins to travel across. The story is not so much bizarre as it is fanciful and charming.

So I'd say the presentation isn't "weird" just imaginative and it evokes a bit more emotion than usual, without being heavy. The illustrations of the coins (I've never seen the coins in person, although I hear he sold them at one time) make them look very appropriate for the story, and help sell the piece.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Hi Curtis

With a trick title as evocative as "The Mermaid's Blessing", I wondered if he'd used a fairytale or fable presentation. Thanks for the helpful description, you've really intrigued me. I have a real fondness for fanciful presentations, so it looks like I'll try and track down a copy

Thanks again

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Jay Inglee Coin Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL