The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on Redesigning the Book Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Orvec
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Orvec
Sandstar,

I really like the idea of a book that you shuffle...that will have to be my next project I tackle.

R.
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
A book you shuffle! Would it have pips and faces?

Actually, whether you are serious or not, the idea is rather interesting. I'm a professional writer. Creating a book with pages that could be shuffled and yet would maintain an odd storyline in whatever configuration would be an amazing challenge. And as a book test even more fascinating. Perhaps in an old looking form. I could imagine something like that being created by one of the secret societies back in the late 18th century. You see, here we go with a mysterious story.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4766 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Creating a book with pages that could be shuffled and yet would maintain an odd storyline in whatever configuration would be an amazing challenge.

There has, in fact, been a legitimate book published where you could read the chapters in any order and still come out with a coherent story line.

It's been a while--at least twenty years ago that I saw it--maybe someone knows the book I'm talking about?

Jack Shalom
Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
I'd be interested in knowing more about such a book if anyone has a title.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2567 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
What feature would I want in a booktest.... An instant out so that if/when things don't go quite to plan (for whatever reason) you have an imeadiately accessible fall back position to get you back on track.

As for new presentation ideas... how about having two books of names, like those used for helping new parents choose a name for their baby, handed out to two speckys. Each choses a name from their book and both choose the name of the other specky.

Cheers Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11968 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 08:41, jakeg wrote:
The ideal book test for me would be the one that I heard Dunninger do (on tape) for a studio audience. It sounded something like this:
open a phone book to any page
run your finger down the page to any name
the name that you are looking at is

No matter how he did it, it sounded great.

Ah yes, this would be my idea of a great book test. What a legend!
ravi
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of ravi
The book of Lies came up in previous posts.

I developed the ideas for this over the years because I wanted the book to do the "mentalism", not me. The mysterious things happen "because it is in the book". It can be done with many books and one other possibility than the Crowley book is mentioned in Psychological Subtleties 2 by Banachek.

The concept for developing a NEW approach to the booktest should be to ask oneself:

1. WHY am I using a book?

2. Does the effect create a GOOD justification for using a book to select a random word?

I personally think that all new booktests get their justification by ANSWERING this question. If the booktest does not answer this problem, I do not see any advantage!

I stopped doing something within this routine, I want to tell you now:

Sometimes I am a little weerd myself, so I tried several things to add to the booktest. I asked myself:"What else could happen TO(!) the book?

I came up with something that I put the "Magic within the book itself" concept to a direction that was too much.

BUT, I can see many applications for the concept itself ( and use it in another routine).
So what did I do?

During the routine (SEE PS2 by Banachek), the spectator would touch the Book Of Lies by A.Crowley. Usually the spectator would remove the hand within seconds with a shocked exression on her face because.....?????

Well because the Book on the table turned cold as ice!

I had some fun with it but that was too much, especially within this routine.

You can do much but sometimes much is too much.

Ask the questions I have mentioned above. If YOUR booktest can give a GOOD answer for it, you got a good one.

Ravi
I N D R I D C O L E

DEAD AnD GONE
Orvec
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Orvec
Hey all,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm on a public library terminal at the moment, so can't write back in depth at the moment.

Just wanted to say that the other day I came up with a method that will allow you to know where the book was opened if you somehow can't get the page number or the word on the page. You can also use it over and over again with the same book, and it is instantly resettable. You do have to have the book back in your hands, but it is absolutely foolproof - the "out" if you somehow mess up.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2239 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Brother Bill, I have always been intrigued by book tests. I presently have two in the works leading to production. I won't tip what they are here; but you may find the methods and approaches interesting/ refreshing.

KOTAH
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4766 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2007-02-03 19:17, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Creating a book with pages that could be shuffled and yet would maintain an odd storyline in whatever configuration would be an amazing challenge.

There has, in fact, been a legitimate book published where you could read the chapters in any order and still come out with a coherent story line.

It's been a while--at least twenty years ago that I saw it--maybe someone knows the book I'm talking about?

Jack Shalom

Okay, I remember the book now--Hopscotch by Julio Cortozar, first published in Spanish but I read the English translation back in college. You could read the book several ways, hopscotching from one chapter to another. Not really practical for mentalism, but a fun ride that could give you ideas.

Jack Shalom
Orvec
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Orvec
Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know that I've pretty much finished putting together the instruction manual that would accompany my book test - almost 50 pages of instructions! There's quite a lot of information in there, dealing with all the different routines, effects and gaffs.

There are some additional features involved that I haven't mentioned here or in the Inner Thoughts thread.

I'd post more information, but I'm pretty sure that would fall under the category of an "ad", so PM me if you are interested and would like more information.

Thanks,

Rick Orvec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on Redesigning the Book Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL