The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Midnight In The Dark Museum REVIEWS ONLY (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
MITDM is a hella great book. Virtually every effect is worth the price of admission. Book collaborations don't always work, but this one makes for a powerful alchemy. I hope thoughts are already heading in the direction of a sequel of equally fine quality.

Definitely, a work I'm proud to own and look forward to using.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I hear murmurs of sequal wafting through the mist...but any sequal is determined by the sucess of the 1st installment. There will have to be quite a bit more sales happening before Jim puts more into another version.

I don't know the above for a fact just rumors...but I can tell you from doing my own books for years, it's not a cheap enterprise or easy to do, especially if you know your stuff. It is more difficult if you are a REAL writer and strive to be entertaining. This usually means you are more critical of your own stuff because you know what you are doing and hopefully can tell the difference between good and crap. Jim nor I would ever put out crap...so a sequal will not just appear out of the fog.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I agree, MITDM is a wonderful book, as are the other recent books of Baba and Christian Chelman. Unfortunately, I don't YET own any of Doug's terrific creations, but I hope to very soon. Meanwhile, I have some things I can practice with (and maybe inflict on family members) until I have the proper items. Just reading and dreaming of doing some of the routines is enjoyment enough, but I can't wait to do the real thing!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
As you know Bill, Jim wrote the book 'inspired' by my props and routine but one does not need to own any in order to enjoy the book's rewards. Since this uis supposed to be the Review thread I'll clam up now.

yeah I know...fat chance....besides Jim should be commenting here it's all his fault.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Michael Midnight
View Profile
Regular user
Southern Swamp
104 Posts

Profile of Michael Midnight
Received the book this week and I think it is wonderful. I do not have my props yet either, but Doug is right in that there is lots here to use with other items. A great book, full of ideas for years to come.
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Got my Dark Museum book over the weekend & I am going through it slowly, savoring each morsel.

I need to save some bucks to order a ETMP set. But I also need to save to get Baba's 'Vo Du Ma Gik' book.

When I am finished reading, I will post some of my favorites, but leading the way are "Digital', 'Born Under A Bad sign', 'Sinister Happenings in the Dark Museum' & 'Curious Giorgio Strikes Again'. (I am nearing Baba's offering next.)

Just to make sure about the layout of the routines - When a routine doesn't have a author/creator after the title, I'm assuming that it is by Jim Magus. Is that a correct assumption? BTW, Jim's ARCANA OF BIZARRE MAGICK is one of my all-time favorite books.

Extremely glad I spent the money.

Marqus
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Your assumption IS correct. Jim included an author credit on anything written by someone other than himself.

:)
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I love the book! I have already begun working on a couple of routines with props I have on hand: Tarot cards and a finger in a box for starters. There are lots of interesting ideas in the book that can be developed into a somewhat different direction.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
ANYONE ELSE!***%$#@!

I'm sure they have reached many a hand by now....

another work that will enter the tomb of history...

working on book II myself....but 'twill be a long time .....some other things first....

love fraters!

GGLIM:.
Baba
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
My review of MitDM:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......10&0

Jim and Doug, I salute you!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
What can I say ?
The book is awesome. Jim Magus did a fantastic job of putting it all together, blending not only different styles of the various contributors along with his own highly esteemed input, but blending the various props as well in neatly organized logical cateogories.
How can you go wrong with a Jim Magus publication ? Well, you can't !!
There's everything here from the in-depth 20 minute long presentation to the 60 second cheap scare (from yours truly: had I any idea how palid my entry would appear compared to all the other more colorful contributions, I would've at least attempted to put some more thought into it !)
The book really opens up the possiblities of what one can do with Doug Higleys' (in)famous creepy props, but the book also points the way to achieving many a great effect even without them specifically: indeed, it's an excellent manual in teaching effective PRU: Prop & Resource Utilization.
Another book goes on the "Must Buy" list this year !

PS I can't wait until Jim re-releases Arcana again this year.. w00t !!
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I gotta say, wow, Ive read, and re-read, and theres so many subtle things to learn, to know, to adapt in here...

I am PROUD to have rubbed elbows with your good Mage..

on a side note,
recently got Kotahs new book (we traded; we're traders.) ....WOW...a plethora of info....but ill save this for its own thread....THANX KOTAH, yours in on the way..

Baba
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Oh, yes...what beautiful things all you folks contributed. I am honored to know you!

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Midnight In The Dark Museum REVIEWS ONLY (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL