The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » seance mishaps unexplained and funny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Hi!

Have any of you stories about things that happenned by mistake or even weird/unexplained things that happened while conducting your seance? Any funny audience stories?
Smile
Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
New Orleans 2003!
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Ellen,
It's a scary mishap not a funny one. It happened to Jim Magus and you can read about it here.

http://www.bizarremagick.com/jimmaguspage.html
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Yikes...I should say so!

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Ellen, this didn't quite happen at a seance, though it did happen at a party where I'd done a seance, but it scared the living daylights out of me.

When I was at university, I shared a large house with five other people. Like me they all had too much time on their hands, and so, as a consequence, our house parties got more and more ambitious in scope and theme. This particular party's theme was horror. So we decked the ground floor out like a crypt, with a lowered glowing green ceiling, and dungeon walls. We installed something called 'The terror chamber' (described in another thread). I held one of my first seances in the attic. And my friend Ed came up with a beautiful concept he called 'The Inca Temple of Doom'.

Now, the ITD was an awful idea, that was stunningly brilliant in the context of a student party. Trust me, if you haven't built one of these, you haven't lived! In essence, the ITD was a blacked out obstacle course, constructed with sheets, and sturdy pieces of furniture that inebriated guests crawled round in the pitch dark.

Constructed out of furniture, blankets and sheets, this tunnel ran around the outside of a large bedroom. It had a rudimentary switch in it, so people would crawl into a dead end, curse a bit, then have to crawl backwards to find their way out. And of course, inside the tunnel itself, were many pots of foul goo, slimy spider threads, and icy hands etc. In the centre of the room, in the small tunnel free space, sat the grandly titled 'Operator'.

Now it was the operator's job to work sound fx and other features. Explorers of the temple had to pause at the end of a corridor whilst a scary threatening voice challenged them to dare enter the ITD. Then they'd be pushed down the corridor, to find that the ceiling lowered steadily, forcing them to crawl into the hellish mouth of the ITD itself. As well as working the tapes, the operator would squirt water and silly string into the tunnel at strategic points, to surprise the supine explorers, and grope about in the dark with a hairy claw hand.

Anyway, my seance had finished, and at last I felt able to have something to drink. I also thought that it was about time I had a go operating the temple. So there I was, having a great time, nursing a bottle in the dark, and squirting water, poking people, and so on, little suspecting the horror that lurked around the corner.

It happened like this. I'd played the introductory music, and felt the tunnel rock as someone started crawling down it. I'd heard the characteritic grunts and curses, and followed this visitor to under the desk where the spider thread dangled in wait. Then, inexplicably, it all went very still. Initially amused at this, I prodded with my claw, and sprayed some silly string to see if I couldn't move things along. But no response. An eerie stillness descended. So in my slightly drunken state, I tried to figure out what might have happened. The person had come in, crawled under the desk, and stopped just pass the spider threads and...

I saw it all, the ITD had claimed its first victim! There in the dark, with a spider thread (actually some greased up clothes-line) digging deep into the neck, a student lay garotted. I made a tentative attempt to see if I couldn't unwrap the rope, but the 'corpse' was wedged in. So I started shouting for help. Obviously, given the nature of the party, it took some considerable time to persuade people that I wasn't joking. But eventually, help arrived..

Now, unfortunately, the ITD was not designed for speed, and my first two helpers thought it best to reach the 'dead' student through the tunnel itself. This only led to three people being stuck, rather than one, and what appeared to be a small scuffle broke out between the first two rescuers. Lots of cursing followed, but eventually, I managed to get some people to join me in the small operator space. However, this space was only designed for one, so the helpers had to find places to stand on top of the tunnel. This was fine if they stood on hefty furniture. But when they found those parts of the tunnel constructed out of sheets, then they too found the ITD pulling them into its inky depths. It was absolute carnage. People lay knotted in sheets, or dazed under fallen furniture. And that was just the rescue party.

Anyway, eventually, we managed to get the lights on, and establish some semblance of order. Closer examination of the 'dead' student confirmed my initial diagnosis. No movement, no sound, no life. The only thing for it was to dismantle the tunnel, to create some space, so we could lift the desk and get to the body. So out of the mighty ITD came chairs, and blankets, and assorted bits of bruised furniture. I'm told, that quite a crowd had gathered in the corridor outside to see the ITD disgorge herself of her secrets.

Finally, there was enough space to lift the desk, and shuddering at the thought of what we might find, we moved it away. The student lay face down and still. One of us picked up the courage to turn this body over...

And there, in the middle of this carnage, with an enigmatic smile fixed on his lips, one of my fellow housemates lay fast asleep, sweetly oblivious to all in his drunken stupor.

I laugh about it now, but at the time...

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

P.S. If you're of a youthful disposition, don't let this post put you off constructing an ITD yourself. Trust me. It's a hoot!
-- QCiC --
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
You have such great stories Caleb!

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
New Orleans or BUST 2003!
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Ellen, thanks for that, but seriously, that's the gospel truth. Smile I have witnesses, pictures (somewhere) and everything!

And I still encourage everybody to try and make the ITD. If I find out even one of you has had a party, and not constructed this LIFE-ENHANCING attraction, oh I'll be so cross! Smile

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I once conjoured Al Capones spirit, and he just wouldn't go away! He's still haunting those poor people. I can't say anything else, the law suits are still pending.

D_Z
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » seance mishaps unexplained and funny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL