We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What kind of half dollars? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
When I was younger, I was one of those people who used only Kennedy halves because that's what people were used to seeing and I thought it lessened suspicion. These days though, many younger specs have never even seen a half dollar -- they just aren't in common circulation anymore (though, like $2 bills, you can still get them at the bank.)
Lately, I've been using some "Eagle" halves I picked up in a coin store as well. I've been pattering about how the silver content of the old coins imbued them with certain seemingly magical properties. I don't do a lot of coin work, so I'm not yet sure of the overall pysochological effect of the older coins -- they certainly arouse curiousity, but so far only in a good way.
What do the more experienced coin guys think? Do Kennedys possess any advantage as seeming more "normal" than older, silver halves?
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Personally, I don't worry about having normal coins. In fact I like having "strange" coins, it helps me with the patter. I find the spectators get real interested and into your routines more when you are using coins they may have never seen. I also let them inspect the coins before and after the routines, if they wish, to relieve them of any suspicions.....

I use walking liberty halves and always amaze my spectators. They are also amazed when I use foreign coins, such as the English penny or the African dime.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Well I used walkers and franklins but I'm switching to silver kennedys, for a few reasons having to do with milling, and also its easier to find props. fingers, I mean this in the best way, but I'm finding it hard to beieve they are amazed cause your using a curtain coin.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I use Barber Halves for their soft qualities and people seem to enjoy them. Plus they are all 100 years old so there are a bunch of ideas for patter and no one has really seen them.

SPEED
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
The walking liberty halves are among the most beautiful U.S. coins ever minted, and still reasonablely priced.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
No brag, just fact Barrett. Actually the spectators are amazed at all the coins I use, it seems all of the time. My guess is that they don't see any of the coins I use in general circulation. I do, however, use Kennedy's for a few routines, because of the nature of the routines themselves. I guess my palming is pretty good, because I have no problem with any of them.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I can palm all of mine as well , except iv been having edge grip trouble with some remilled coins, anyways. what I was getting at is it would seem to be that its more intrigue with a rare coin. I mean amazment is a strong word for merely seeing a coin. I mean if the coins were azaming why do magic. id just be like "i have here 4 coins watch them look amazing!" ok, I'm being silly but you know what I mean.

a·maze·ment
1. A state of extreme surprise or wonder; astonishment.
2. Obsolete Bewilderment; perplexity.

intrigue: To arouse the interest and attention of
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Joshua,
You coming up to the fest this weekend?
I use Walking Liberties, Morgans, english pennies, and korean coins
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Going to try to! I keep forgetting about it, other things going on. I think ill run it by the lady, she likes that kind of stuff.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

And I do agree the walkers look the best. you guys might be able to answer me this. generally how is the milling on a walker compared to a 64 kennedy. I don;t really know cause mine are all shaved down.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sounds like you WERE using money and have gotten caught behind the times.

What do you want to use?

Money?

Your coin collection?

Your father's legacy?

Magic coins handed down from your teacher to you?

?

One of my friends sees ghosts ... almost on a daily basis. He has a strange business. He explains the world as it is today to the ghosts. Sort of a teacher. They pay him well but I have no idea how. But he also asks them for pocket change since he knows I do magic with coins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I indulge myself with my coins. I have a pile of walkers, Bens, silver JFKs, and clads, and I pretty much grab whichever ones I like the look of on any given day. I have e-[s that match my clad JFKs and my worn Bens and also English Pennies, so if I feel like doing something using a [ I'll carry the appropriate coins. most often though it comes down to what appeals to me when I'm filling up my pockets.
It's the same with Dollars, I have Morgans, Peace and Ikes, and again it's mostly what looks good to me as I get ready to go.
I even use Silver Eagles once in a while, although my repertiore is a lot more limited when I use them, as I find them harder to handle due to the size and weight.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-01 10:16, DStachowiak wrote:
I indulge myself with my coins....

Okay... now what about your audiences?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
(Sigh) You are right Jonathan, I frequently get loud complaints from my audiences, because they object to my using Ben Franklin Halves in stead of JFKs. "Hey, Bub! We only like our Magic done with Kennedy halves! Don't be such a selfish jerk next time! "
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
I use mostly Kennedy Half's that are clad but I just recently got a set of Schoolcraft Kennedy Silver Half's to match my others and I am slowly moving to Silver coins for my routines. I think that you can create some good patter and story lines when you use older coins that are silver. Also, the coins are more flashy and draws a spec's attention more.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

When you use uncommon props you open up a line of inquiry about the props that can distract from the magic.

Justify or face the denial.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I use 1921 Morgans, because it was the year my dad was born, that’s not just some line, it the truth and because of this the audience accepts it with out question.

On the other hand I tell them, I buy all my rope from a little guy named Keebler that lives in a tree. Hey, I do magic, do you expect me to use ordinary rope?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 12:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
When you use uncommon props you open up a line of inquiry about the props that can distract from the magic.

Justify or face the denial.

And just which Halves are "common"?
I'm not going to start performing with quarters or little Sacajawea Dollars just because they are "common".
Their small size opens up a line of inquiry about the ease of concealing them in the hands, which I find even more distracting.
People are intrigued by larger, less common coins, it's true. I welcome their interest, and freely allow them to handle the ungaffed coins to satisfy their curiosity.
I think that, if they are "distracted" to the detriment of the Magic, the problem lies with the Magic, and not with the props.
We are not talking about change bags and soot windmills here, but coins.
Are people "distracted" by the cups and balls? Spun brass cups are a fairly uncommon accessory, as are crocheted balls, but if the Magic is strong enough, it entertains.
I think we can disagree about what props we like to use, without "Holier-than-Thou" accusations of "denial"
(And trust me, denial is something I know a lot about)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

When you perform, what are the coins to your character?

I offered some contexts above.

Many in this field get to this question and jump into excuses over method stuff. THAT is a measure of denial.

Back to context: What sort of person carries such things in their pockets? What do those things mean to the person carrying them? <- that's theatrical character stuff. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That's why I've switched to Poker Chips for lots of my stuff.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What kind of half dollars? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL