We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What kind of half dollars? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I always here talk about putting coins into context of why you have them ect ect ect. but I yet to see this done in professional performance. I don;t do this either. to me its like who carrys old coins? the weird that makes them jump around and change. sometimes people take a initial interest in the type of coin upon initil inspection but by the end of the routine, I think the year and type of coin is the last think on their minds. the last time I had someone heckle me about the "realness" of my coins, the other spectators started to defend me, and basically told him that what he was stating was not possible. (the person spotted a nested shell) but the magic was so strong for all the spectators they defended illusion.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2534 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
The character that I'm portraying these days comes from the world of American film noir. Thus, he carries half dollars from that era. He doesn't carry plastic credit cards, and he doesn't have a cell phone or any other electronic gear.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 13:19, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I always here talk about putting coins into context of why you have them ect ect ect. but I yet to see this done in professional performance. ...

Time to step up to the plate.

Find what works for YOUR performing character and go with it.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Touche =D
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Jonathan is right on the money. To say I have four coins here because I want to show you how they jump from my hand to your hand is boring and illogical. But if you (your character) are someone who collects coins and you "just happened to be in a coin shop recently when a strange older man came in to sell 4 coins that had belong to his departed wife and to keep them would be to painful. He told a story of how his wife always kept the coins in a velvet bag on her person, where ever the bag went, the coins followed.I was so intrigued by his story I asked if I could buy them. So he put them in the velvet bag and gave them to me. I took them home and slid them out of the bag into my hand but the moment they touched my hand... they dissapeared and I found them in the bag. By the look on your face I can tell you do not beleieve me..please hold on to this bag.......
That is why you carry four coins or whatever you carry on you at any given time.
We need a reason to bring cards,coins,notepads etc.. out in the open. If we do not have a reason then we are no better than a court jester who "is DYING" to make the king feel entertained. I do not know about you guys but I do not want to give the impression I am just a "trickster" who is gonna fool ya.
Justin N Miller

"'We are the music makers and we are dreamers who dream"
-Willy Wonka-
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Justin I agree with you to a certain degree. I was with you all the way up until you said, "I do not know about you guys but I do not want to give the impression I am just a "trickster" who is gonna fool ya."

I personally have never claimed to be a magician with my audiences, and when introduced as such by people who've seen me before to their friends I'm QUICK to correct. I've always considered myself just a good guy who knows a couple of really cool tricks. I fool AS I entertain. I get paid to hang out and meet people. The tricks are secondary. It's about the people with me, not the tricks. The magic is a medium that facilitates me forming new bonds with people.

Am I wrong for NOT EXPECTING my audience to believe that what I'm showing them is real, honest to goodness, magic? I believe it's a slap at their intelligence. However if they choose to believe it on their own, I certainly don't discourage it, makes my job easier.

Maybe it's a matter of preference???? Dunno......

OH and JT is correct about giving the coins a reason for being used. The line I use most often I got from Dave Neighbors, " These are Walking Liberty Half Dollars, collector coins. Actually I collected them from someone's pocket this morning. Na just kidding. Actually they were my grandfathers. He gave them to me on his deathbed.....well, actually he sold 'em to me. But, I wrote him a check for them so its all good...."
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

I can live with that.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
I certainly agree with Jonathan, about having motivation that make our props acceptable for our audience. Eric and Justin both gave great but different examples, which shows why, the story has to fit our own personality or character. What the spectators will accept from one, maybe unacceptable, even laughable if some one else uses it.
Justin, I do like the storyline you gave as an example. It could be used in bizarre magic, presented very mysteriously and spooky.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Wow, thanks for all the responses. I do like the patter possibilities offered by old coins.
What about a "time travel" theme? "I'd like to take you back to the days of the old west (produce 1880s coin), south of the rio grande (change into Mexican coin?) ajnd so on using coins to "illustrate" the tale. As I said, I''m fairly new to coin work. Is there already such an effect out there?
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
There are some very nice large, silver coins from Mexico called 8 Reales. The dates will run from the early 1800s to the very early 1900. They are a little larger in diameter than an U.S. silver dollar but not as thick. They have an eagle with wings spread and clutching a serpent on one side and a cap (just the cap) like Lady Liberty has on her head on the Morgan dollar. They will run from $8 to up, in most cases.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Tom, Thanks, I'll look for one of those. When using older coins, do you polish them or just go with natural patina?
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
When I put set together, four or five the same date, I will use Flitz polish on the set to make the match as much as possible, then let nature take it's course. If you carry them together all the time they will age and patina the same. If you decide you want an expanded shell to match, I’m not sure who to use. You would probably have to provide an 8 Reales to the maker because they are not that common. So when you looking for them take your time, and get an extra one or two.
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 09:25, jussy wrote:
Joshua,
You coming up to the fest this weekend?
I use Walking Liberties, Morgans, english pennies, and korean coins

Off topic here but am I missing something? I thought you pretty much quit magic...
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

PLease check out the rumors thread..it explains it all http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&25

Justin N. Miller
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I got his x marks the spot for 10 bucks so I'm glad he did LOL =D I have had people start requesting to see it from hearsay
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi Barrett, I guess what I said before about the spectators being "amazed" with my coins would have been more acurately stated as being "intrigued" for the most part, but I have had a few that were simply amazed.

Going to the edge grip for a second, I think I had the same problem you mentioned earlier with my walking liberties and found if I relaxed my grip I had much more success. At first I had the impression you really had to grip hard when doing the edge grip, so as not to lose control of the coins. In the end I found I have better success holding them in a more relaxed grip, just enough to hold them in place, but no more than that and my edge grip has improved greatly.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I also found out I got some defective remilled coins, jamies going to replace them. yeah iv notice during curl palming that the amount of pressure makes a big difference on how well it goes. I'm still working out those bugs =)
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Sorry to hear about your coins Barrett, Jamie is a good guy I am sure he will take care of that problem. I am practicing my edge work also, not an easy thing to master.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
I love the silver 1964 or older, also love english pennys.
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
152 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
I also favor the silver Kennedy 1/2's. Spectators finds them interestng, nostalgic. I like size (visibility), texture, appearance. Matter of choice.
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What kind of half dollars? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL