The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What kind of half dollars? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I use Barber halves cuz I think they're cool looking, but they do arouse suspicion sometimes. I'm switching more and more back to normal half dollars. I think it's easier for people to think 'gimmicked coin' if it's a coin they're not familiar with. Just an observation.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Having just today heard the term "Barber Half" for the first time, I thought I'd buy myself one. Or two. I live in Norway and I know little about US coins, their sizes and handling properties. Our coins are small and very unappealing in terms of design compared to the photos I see of old US coins.

So I was wondering... What other nice coins would be a good match for a Barber Half in terms of size? Something copper or brass maybe. It can be foreign coins or other US ones. They would have to be or look a bit old and cost less than $100 a piece, which is what a foreign coin would start at here I think. Smile Any tips? I don't know what to search for and they don't list the sizes on eBay.

BTW... I found some very pretty Barber Halves on eBay. Especially one coin that kind of jumps at me. But it doesn't have the extreme wear I see in some others. Only a little. So more wear is always better then? This is also new territory to me. Here a coin is a coin. I'm learning.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I noticed that Akira Fujii uses Barber halves with very good detail brought out by dark backgrounds, probably deliberately applied. Barbers with fine detail are expensive, but beautiful. I use worn Walking Liberties, myself.

BTW, I remember that Goshman used forty 1964 Kennedys in his act. He was the first to show me how much slicker the later sandwich Kennedys felt and he advised me to use '64s.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
The one I bought on eBay yesterday had exactly that; fine detail brought out by a dark background. But I would guess that this is just the way the silver oxidizes, combined with wear. The contrast may also be exaggerated in the photo, since I also assume that a (90%) silver coin won't be golden like the photo shows. It's the camera's color profile which is wrong I think.

Still, very beautiful. I payed about twice what I had planned. But it is still a third of what one would cost me here in Oslo. No buckets with cheap coins here.

I guess I'll have to wear it by using it if I want it super soft. Smile

Click here to view attached image.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Seated Liberties for me, pre-civil war.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I did actually find a few cheap coins in Oslo after all. A very unenthusiastic man in a coin store produced a small box of leftover coins that were $1.50 each. He looked very suspicious and demanded to know what I wanted them for. Nervously I did the mistake of trying to impress him by changing one coin into another, after first sneaking one coin into my hand while clearly picking up another. This change I screwed up unusually badly. For some reason my hands were really shaking and my fingers were completely stiff.

This is probably where one should have pulled the parachute chord and just left it alone, but I was locked into it somehow.

He just continued to look at me coldly like I was the biggest moron he'd ever seen, then turned his back on me and went back to his work while I picked out a few coins. I felt more like banging my head repeatedly on the counter. But there you go.

I got a few functional copper coins with dates ranging from 1855 to 1865, allthough they look very much like modern coins so perhaps they are anniversary ones or something. In any case, nothing very soft or very pretty or very anything. But functional for now. Good sizes. The lesson I learnt was also quite valuable.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 06:49, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
The one I bought on eBay yesterday had exactly that; fine detail brought out by a dark background. But I would guess that this is just the way the silver oxidizes, combined with wear. The contrast may also be exaggerated in the photo, since I also assume that a (90%) silver coin won't be golden like the photo shows. It's the camera's color profile which is wrong I think.

Still, very beautiful. I payed about twice what I had planned. But it is still a third of what one would cost me here in Oslo. No buckets with cheap coins here.

I guess I'll have to wear it by using it if I want it super soft. Smile


If you want soft, there are plenty of very worn cheaper Barbers on ebay. The one you bought is a beauty and with that much detail, I would think that it would be fairly expensive.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 20:39, Glenn Godsey wrote:

If you want soft, there are plenty of very worn cheaper Barbers on ebay. The one you bought is a beauty and with that much detail, I would think that it would be fairly expensive.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey


Yes, I did see a ton of more worn ones. Just found it all a bit overwhelming at first. So many coins to look at. Unfortunately most sellers seem to sell single coins which will mean that I may get a bad deal on international shipping unless I win a lot of auctions from the same individual and get combined shipping. In any case a lot of individual coins to look through.

Many eBay coin dealers seems to not ship worldwide. Or they have a $9 handling fee on a $5 coin. I did spend a good deal of time communicating with one person who sells bundles of 5 coins, but he seemed very eccentric. Started asking ME about the cost of the shipping. Or if I could pay for his shipping at the post office here or something. I don't know. It all became a bit surreal.

But I will try again. Always exciting to enter into new teritory. I'm glad I have you guys to turn to for advice. Smile
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 16:57, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
I did actually find a few cheap coins in Oslo after all. A very unenthusiastic man in a coin store produced a small box of leftover coins that were $1.50 each. He looked very suspicious and demanded to know what I wanted them for. Nervously I did the mistake of trying to impress him by changing one coin into another, after first sneaking one coin into my hand while clearly picking up another. This change I screwed up unusually badly. For some reason my hands were really shaking and my fingers were completely stiff.

This is probably where one should have pulled the parachute chord and just left it alone, but I was locked into it somehow.

He just continued to look at me coldly like I was the biggest moron he'd ever seen, then turned his back on me and went back to his work while I picked out a few coins. I felt more like banging my head repeatedly on the counter. But there you go.

I got a few functional copper coins with dates ranging from 1855 to 1865, allthough they look very much like modern coins so perhaps they are anniversary ones or something. In any case, nothing very soft or very pretty or very anything. But functional for now. Good sizes. The lesson I learnt was also quite valuable.


Noobini,
great story - thanks
Cards never lie
lubdub
View Profile
Regular user
bloomsburg, pa
107 Posts

Profile of lubdub
I use silver walking halves due to the reason they look nicer(imho) and have more weight to them. I only polish the coins if they're in horrible need of it...other wise, the patena is left on it.
only a magician can play a liar but then all magicians are liars
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What kind of half dollars? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL