The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mitox - new book by Uk Mentalist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of drjohn
Does anyone know much about this new book from UK mentalist Phil Smith? I have read his posts on various forums and he seems to be renowned for his excellent scripting skills. Could be worth a look?

http://mitox.phillsmiff.com/
May your darkness come quickly
InvisibleMonkey
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of InvisibleMonkey
Could you be Phil Smith?
I think so.
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
I don't think so. I do, however, think that Mitox looks like an interesting book. I would like to see a review or comments from others before shelling out the £20 for the book though.

Should be interesting to see what others think of this.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of drjohn
HA HA I certainly hope not my parents would be mad about a name change!!

I have read phil's posts on the mentalist asylum forum and he seems to post up some intelligent stuff.

I am a bizzarist not a mentalist so I tend to adapt mentalism effects to make them suit my persona. As Harry said probably best to wait for some solid reviews before shelling out!!

http://www.arcanum-magick.co.uk
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
The following statements from the advertisement make the book look VERY promising:

"I like things to be simple and easy."

"I hate gimmicks and gaffs."

"I like backups in case things go wrong."

"I have been through Mitox and stripped out anything that wasn’t 110% great."

"I hate dealer hype"

"In Mitox I lay out ten great tips for creating your own effects"

"I am proud to present to you the last three years of painstaking study, development, writing and editing"

"Mitox contains the cream of the crop of my routines"

I like this fellow’s tastes and can also really appreciate the approach he apparently took to writing his book.

Often, it seems that authors keep the really good stuff for themselves. Other times, it seems they mix the good stuff with filler, so they can spread it out over multiple publications. This may not be reality, but I sometimes get this perception.

That’s why it’s refreshing to see someone put all his best material in one book. It may not be the smartest move from a financial perspective, but I think it’s the way classics are born.

I will definitely order Mitox.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Well, I just tried ordering it. It seems like, at this point, it may be a “pre” pre-order. I entered my name and email address, but there was no opportunity to pay. I guess that will come at a later date.

Elliott
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of drjohn
I decided to go ahead and order it as compared to some mentalism books this is relatively cheap. Phil sends you an e-mail to let you know he has your pre-order and apparantely the first run of books will be in a couple of weeks. I have spoken to a few full time pros who know of phils work and they said they ordered without hesitation as he has some very clever ideas. His main strength is in his patter scripting and use of simple methods. I will post up a full review when I get my copy.
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Before we go any further I'm not Phill Smith either, but I have read a number of Phill’s ideas before as well as some of his scripting thoughts and they are nothing short of brilliant. With his forthcoming book if it is anything like his previous writings it should be well worth waiting for.

As for a an automated response to pre orders, I don't think he has one set up yet, his reply to me was; As soon as I have got the first run in I will wing you an email with the details and the link to the paypal site.

Franklin
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
Fantastic! Nice to see I wasn't wrong, for a change Smile

By the looks of things, I will probably end up ordering this book as well. It seems that Phill has a nice following over here, and it was mainly the fact that I had not heard his name before that kept me from ordering the book last night.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi Harry,

I have to say that I doubt you will be disappointed.

I, too, have been a follower of Phill's work for a while and if this book comes close to some of the ideas he has already shared with a select group of people, then you are in for a real treat.

As has been said by a few people before me, one of Phill's great strenths is his impeccable scripting of each effect and his clear and simple methodology. I can't yet speak of the contents of this particular book as I haven't yet read it. However, I can assure you that I ordered my copy just as soon as I heard about it.

Marcus
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
It does look interesting, but if he is well known for scripting I would have him change this large blurb on the web site:

"When you perform mentalism do your audience believe it’s real?"

John
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
Quote:
On 2007-02-02 09:28, migit61 wrote:
Hi Harry,

I have to say that I doubt you will be disappointed.

I, too, have been a follower of Phill's work for a while and if this book comes close to some of the ideas he has already shared with a select group of people, then you are in for a real treat.

As has been said by a few people before me, one of Phill's great strenths is his impeccable scripting of each effect and his clear and simple methodology. I can't yet speak of the contents of this particular book as I haven't yet read it. However, I can assure you that I ordered my copy just as soon as I heard about it.

Marcus

Thank you Marcus! Would you, if you don't mind, let me know of the forums which Phill visits? I've not seen his name mentioned before but would love to see his posts.

Harry.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi Harry,

As far as I know, Phill does not post on any internet forums.

Marcus
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
I believe phill has just joined the Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......42&0

in his profile there is the site for the book
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
Ah, thanks for all the information and links everyone! I'm not sure where I got the idea that he posted in a forum from - I just re-read this thread and didn't see one mentioned anywhere. Looks like I could be doing with a book on memory skills instead.

Thanks again.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 12:31, drjohn wrote:
I have read his posts on various forums and he seems to be renowned for his excellent scripting skills.

There's where you read it.

I must say, I'm very interested. If only I had some money.
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
Quote:
On 2007-02-02 14:07, Andini wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 12:31, drjohn wrote:
I have read his posts on various forums and he seems to be renowned for his excellent scripting skills.

There's where you read it.

Ah, thank you. Unfortunately, now I'm confused.

Still, I've signed up for the preorder list and am eagerly awaiting the book's release.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi there, Phill here, just for the record, I'm not Dr John, or the Paranormalist! Its great to see all the positive comments here, (a little bit disconcerting though!).

It seems that there has been a bit of confusion about the preorder setup: the reason is that I am publishing Mitox myself, and dealing direct with the printers. I haven't had a payment system in place, because until I had some numbers for the first run I wasn't sure it would be going ahead. I can now confirm however that it is definitely going to happen over the next few weeks, so to anyone who has preordered: I will be in touch.

There have been so many people ready to be a part of something new, which is really fantastic.

Thanks again
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I haven't read the book
But can I just say that Phill is a flippin' genius
I can
Oh good thanks
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I'll add that as a result of an idea found in Phill's new book I am going out and getting a tattoo specifically for a mentalism effect...so, yes, he is a brilliant thinker, and very approachable! And no, I won't discuss the effect - you'll have to get the book to see and understand it...but it's worth it! <grin>

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mitox - new book by Uk Mentalist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL