The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need your help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Need any and all ideas for the upcoming spring.

I have gotten on at Busch Gardens Williamsburg this summer and will be doing a family stage show in their land of the Dragons area. ( It's their part of the park specifically for kids.) The theme of the show has to be loosely connected to Dragons but there's plenty of room to basically do whatever I want. The general criteria is that it has to pack small and play big, and no animals, they already have an animal show, and the main request is that is is packed full of interaction SO...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adam
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You'll obviously need a large Dragon Silk in the act: http://tinyurl.com/22ufbk
...perhaps a Blendo... and maybe some dragon balloon twist practice.

Jim Gerrish's "Lion Tamer" in Book One of the Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Show (on my site) could be reworked as a "Dragon Test of Courage."

Dressing a kid up as a Dragon could also be fun (don't forget the "Look out behind you; your tail is draggin'" joke). You could produce the various parts of the costume the kid has to wear from a "Chimney Screen" decorated as a Castle Tower (same Book as above).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
One of the puppets companies has a lovely bright dragon that sits on your shoulder and is worked by a lever at hip level. very bright & visual.

Which company am I thinking of? Puppets by Post in the UK sell them..
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Cool ideas guys, I'm thinking that I'm going to be the Dragons pet human and, I'm going to show the audience my tricks, or that I'm a dragon trainer and specifically a trainer of magic. That way I could do things that don't all have a dragon specific story like linking rings and stuff.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you're a "pet human" you should be wearing a leash, which you can penetrate through your neck, do the cut and restored leash, etc.

Also, you might be able to work "Dragon's Breath" fire powder in there somewhere, as if you have an invisible dragon and all you can see are the flames he produces.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
No strings my sister and brother in law live in newport news he is a new magi. Are there any magic shops or clubs in the area?
Pete H.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Marketing pointer: give someone something in every show that they can display (accidentally is fine) while they are in the park. These can be balloons, tee shirts, hats, necklaces, pieces of rope, Plastic cup with a drawing on it, box or bag, anything that shows that they have been to see the magician. (The boss will notice!)

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Steve Axtell also sell a great dragon puppet that spews smoke out its nostrils.

His site is http://www.axtell.com and Steve is also a member here if you have any questions.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
OK just focus in on BOBS idea about the give aways. Although everyone of these ideas is great, the leash, the puppet, golden! Thanks again guys. What's something inexpensive that I could give away that would be noticable?

Thanks again,

Adam
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Bob is dead on with this. You want to be marketing while you are there and there is nothing better than give aways at the show that people can walk around with and that get noticed a lot by the people who book you. Just remember that sometimes it takes money to make money. Meaning, that you may have to spend a little up front for your good give aways, but the return investment will be well worth the effort you put into it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 10:56, nostrings wrote:
OK just focus in on BOBS idea about the give aways. Although everyone of these ideas is great, the leash, the puppet, golden! Thanks again guys. Whats something inexpencive that I could give away that would be noticable?

thanks again,

Adam

Adam,

You could get those "Magician" stickers to give out. They can be bought in large rolls and the kids can wear them around the park.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
A little more showy would be a dragon balloon hat, but there's no telling how long they would last. Cardboard Visors with "Dragon Magic" imprinted on them might last longer and be appreciated on sunny days, but they would cost a bit.
Professor Spellbinder

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Adam,

You can even take a roll of cash register tape and a felt tipped pen and make a sash (like Miss America wears) with titles like "Dragon Slayer", "Ghost Catcher", "Magic Champion", "Magic Knight", "Magic Hero". "Magic Princess" etc. that kids will wear with pride all day long. Make your own color stickers with your PC and labels. You can even rubber stamp the kids hand with parental permission. That will "Dragon Proof" them for the day.

Scheme! You have a great opportunity. Develope it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
I can't say enough about Axtell's Smoking Dragon. It's beautifully made and worth every penny. I do a routine where...for most of the routine I don't reveal that the dragon can blow smoke...so when he does the kids go NUTS.

Again...worth EVERY PENNY.

--Jon
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Adam,

I would be very careful in deciding what item(s) to use as giveaways. I would avoid anything and everything that could be dropped, or that might get hung, or otherwise cause a problem on any of the amusemnent park rides. Also, I would avoid balloons or anything that might become a choking hazard.

I like Bob's idea of the stamp and the sticker idea the best.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Unless The BGW Olde Country has changed DRASTICALLY since I performed there in the 70's, they don't pay a whole lot to their roaming and area performers. Certainly not enough to give away a 5 or 10 cent gift to each of the hundreds of children who will pass through your zone in a single day. It probably isn't much better today. They were also VERY protective about giving things away. We had an arrangement for giving away one or two wizard hats, wands and magic scrolls during the show...which all the other "envious young varlots could purchase at yon shoppe of gifts for a 'mere' pittance." My supervisors always commented on how happy they were to see lots of children carrying these overpriced goodies after my shows. Please check your agreement with the park to protect your job.

That said, I REALLY like the "Wizard Charm" hand stamps, stickers and Dragon tattoos. Visibility, low cost and V.I.P. treatment for the children...a Busch Gardens value. Good luck. When I was there, it was a fun place to work!!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
COOL STUFF!!! Ok Apart from Bob's iead of giveaways what else would you do for a family show with LOADS of interaction with both kids and the partents both with the audience as a whole and with individulas for specific routines?

Thanks guys,

Adam
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Anybody else?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need your help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL