The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of swords? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi does any one no how I can make a Bed all ladder of swords?
Any addvice on this would be great.
Mario
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Construction is simple enough...
Get training from someone who knows how to do the stunt. They'll give you the information you will need.
I'd talk to Harley or Todd.
Gwyd
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I built both of mine in my welding shop. (I didn't know if the ladder would hold me, and now it's built for stout and about 150 lbs)
Sword beds are similar to the nail bed, except you really have to be careful about your side to side play, otherwise you might wind up with some scars from it. (I got mine) (I'ts also best to get a medical stapler too to be on the safe side)

And yeah, it's best to get training, espically with the sword ladder.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
You welded one up? Is it collapsible? I would imagine that's one prop that would be heavy and cumbersome to take to gigs and such. I was going to recommend the 2x4 method, where you cut slots in a 2x4 for the swords to slide into. Red Stuart has good blueprints for collapsible props, I think ladder of swords is one of them, but to turn a ladder into a bed of anything requires some geometry.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Yup, the summitch is heavy as all hell.

But keep in mind I'm rather fat and I think that I would of broke the 2X4 one.

It's made to fold, but I welded a lot of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/L......0574.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/L......0573.jpg

I remember talking to Red about the collasable equipmentcase/sword ladder, I just never really got back to him since the last time I was at the SSG.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Looks cool but three words come to mind: Oh. Ver. Kill. Unless of course off-stage it's a house jack.

Visually, I would have hidden the cross supports behind the blades. It looks cluttered and could also lead to someone thinking they somehow support your feet.

In a perfect world, I would have tried to lighten the design by eliminating these cross members altogether, and having those giant blades give the support. Hanging the blades over a previously empty space can only enhance the overall effect.

YMMV.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's not a bad ladder, though it looks a bit heavy. The wide base give great stability. And if I'm not mistaken, when it folds up, the machetes go in the center. This is practical. The steel looks nice, but a coat of paint on some of it, would make the machetes stand out more. It's a little visually confusing, with all the steel.

Welcome back, Chance! Haven't seen your face here for quite a while!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
THAT'S A SCARY LOOKING LADDER!!! I LIKE IT!!!!
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
On 2007-02-06 09:08, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Red Stuart has good blueprints for collapsible props, I think ladder of swords is one of them, but to turn a ladder into a bed of anything requires some geometry.

TGN I'm guessing the only way to acquire some of these from Red is to catch up with him at an event? Let me know on here or via pm. Going to be doing some traveling and collapsible props would be a godsend. Unfortunately I got to the Philly Tattoo Convention too late last Sunday and had just missed Red, so I didn't get a chance to ask him about them. Let me know on here or shoot me a pm.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I've known Red Stuart for over 8 years during my career as a sideshow performer. In '05 he let me get screwed over, idly sat by and watched me get fckued in the ssa. He's a nice guy, never did anything out of malice towards anyone, but since then I have not spoken to him. There's a ton of reasons why I am retired, right here is not the place for me to get into it. You can find him through other channels. I'm thinking of a Silver lining somewhere in an unholy untalented toilet.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Red and I are something like 17th cousins, and share a birthday, though I'm his elder by 14 hours. We were both born in New Jersey, though at opposite ends of the state. He's a great performer, in the traditional sense of "sideshow", and a walking encyclopedia.

His props are portable, and are great for hauling around, if you only drive to gigs. They tend to be heavy, though well-designed.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I forgot to mention, we both ADMIT to being born in New Jersey!

Mario, you have a PM.

www.bladewalker.com
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 10:04, thegreatnippulini wrote:
I've known Red Stuart for over 8 years during my career as a sideshow performer. In '05 he let me get screwed over, idly sat by and watched me get fckued in the ssa. He's a nice guy, never did anything out of malice towards anyone, but since then I have not spoken to him. There's a ton of reasons why I am retired, right here is not the place for me to get into it. You can find him through other channels. I'm thinking of a Silver lining somewhere in an unholy untalented toilet.

Sorry to take the lid off of a cup of bad blood there TGN, nuff said. Perhaps Harley might be able to assist with me locating some designs/blueprints for some "more portable" props, whether they are red's ideas or not. Weight isn't an issue really, more like space they take up. And yes I will be driving to a lot of the places, chacnes are in a van truck of some sort. let me know guys either via pm or in here. Thanks.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You have a lot of options. I think you don't live too far from me. Maybe you should come for a visit. It's easier to show, than to describe.

www.bladewalker.com
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
That would be great, thanks Harley, I'll take this conversation to pm so as not to bog the thread down.

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of swords? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL