The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A short clip of Max Maven (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
WRONG!

The whole routine which origin is older than Maven himself has been presented by mr.Maven according to some people that I trust here for more than three decades with some nice arrangements along the way
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Look at this clip of Max, and try to answer whether it is equivoque or a double envelope:

http://www.cuatro.com/multimedia/video.h......o_13.Ves

Feel freed to PM me...

Lee
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 18:26, espmagic wrote:
Look at this clip of Max, and try to answer whether it is equivoque or a double envelope

But... why?
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11963 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 18:26, espmagic wrote:
Look at this clip of Max, and try to answer whether it is equivoque or a double envelope:

http://www.cuatro.com/multimedia/video.h......o_13.Ves

Feel freed to PM me...

Lee

Its easy to find out for a mere $299.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
I still don't get it Candini: do you mean this is on sale ?? I thought this was exclusive propriety of mr.Maven and not something else
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
It's a truly terrible logo idea, as it ends up looking like "Mav Maven". Also - he just looks plain weird, don't you think??? Even so - what a clever performer. Mind you, was that a trick in the first clip? Didn't seem like one to me! Crazy.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
The second clip is a minor miracle dressed up to look like a minor miracle.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
But minor miracles are what big miracles are made of!

A little bit goes a long way. A CT and a NW can get you some serious press if you know what you're doing.

I for one like the three-envelope effect, and am curious about the method.

R
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
By short no one is talking about Maxs height I hope...
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
It's not a big miracle though, is it? Even if the envelopes are not faked, it is at the end of the day just a one-in-three punt. Big deal. No - not a great effect. Presented with great gravitas, yes. But not a great effect.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 19:13, Top Hat wrote:
not a great effect. Presented with great gravitas, yes. But not a great effect.

Aaah,but that is exactly what makes an effect a GREAT effect:the presentation

And also lets examine some details:max maven gives the chosen envelope for him to open and this is a great "unspoken" psychological implication that the envelopes could not be faked or double ended to the people watching
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11963 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 06:09, Mariagi wrote:
I still don't get it Candini: do you mean this is on sale ?? I thought this was exclusive propriety of mr.Maven and not something else

I is Max's. His lecture notes from 1978 on Ebay for $299. Coupon Caper is suppose to be in there.

Quote:
On 2007-02-13 19:15, PsiDroid wrote:
Quote:
not a great effect. Presented with great gravitas, yes. But not a great effect.

Aaah,but that is exactly what makes an effect a GREAT effect:the presentation

And also lets examine some details:max maven gives the chosen envelope for him to open and this is a great "unspoken" psychological implication that the envelopes could not be faked or double ended to the people watching

Very well said. All the little nuiances Max uses that certainly cannot be purchased
AJX
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AJX
Maven is almost certainly a Klingon- he uses no gimmicks at all.
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
Quote:
It's not a big miracle though, is it? Even if the envelopes are not faked, it is at the end of the day just a one-in-three punt. Big deal. No - not a great effect. Presented with great gravitas, yes. But not a great effect.

But its plays very strong on the audience, I use it in every show and the reaction is always very good! It is so easy to do but a nice tough from Max seems to fool the most of You...
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Candini thanks for your help

I've PMed you back with a subtlety I saw only Paolo Cavalli using:i hope you like that gem
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
>at the end of the day just a one-in-three punt. Big deal.

I think one of the selling points here is the certainty. Yes, it's only one chanace in three, but (the spectator reasons, and they DO reason this out because they've done it with me) he wouldn't try it unless he knew he would be right.

As I said, I've also performed 1-in-3 effects, and I have seen spectators follow this train of thought. This "But how could you be sure I'd pick that one???" response makes it more than just a lucky 1-in-3 guess (to them).

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11963 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Mariagi.

I performed this tonight on stage with a different type of envelope (not color ones and it brought great reactions. I use lots of comedy when I see the audience heading in that direction. I got lots of play from this one and stretched it out so I only did this and a closer and was done. Incredible.

I am use to performing bank night variations so the envelope prediction was not anything real new to me.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
I think it would be more effective if only one envelope was used. The other two just serve to dilute the effect. My $0.02.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
>I think it would be more effective if only one envelope was used.

Yes, of course -- you're right!

Only one envelope ... with a note inside saying "You will pick this one."

Effing brilliant.

R
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Indeed. Would blow them away. Are you by any chance related to "Max Maven", "Rory Raven"?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A short clip of Max Maven (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL