The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Jerry Andrus Is Terminally Ill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hi Everyone,
Last evening at the meeting of the Portland Society of Magicians, Jerry Andrus announced to all of us that he has advanced prostate cancer. This hit everyone in the room very hard. Jerry is very dear to many people around the world. Please keep him in your prayers.

Once a month we hold our meeting here in Portland. Jerry always attends and performs his amazing magic. Last night Jerry didn't perform. It seemed odd, we were all expecting something great as usual. Instead he walked to the front, with seemingly great discomfort in his body and made the announcement. He read us a letter that he had written 9 years ago on his 80th birthday. In what I can remember from his letter, it was about his acceptance with his life and the coming time when he may leave us. A few of us felt it is his way of letting us know that he is ready and saying goodbye.

We are going to try and do something very special for him in the next few days / weeks.

Please hold him in your thoughts and prayers.

Brian Proctor
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
That is very sad news Brian. I will definately give Jerry a call and see if I can cheer him up some. Smile
I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag, but Jerry is scheduled to be our very special GUEST OF HONOR on the Café in March 1st thru 7th. While discussing this with him he made no mention of this illness. I will keep him in my prayers. Smile

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Jerry and though he is not feeling himself, he's determined to be here alive and well come March. I for one am looking forward to it. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I only know Jerry Andrus from reading about him and his magic. I know he is a man of great integrity.

I'll keep in my my prayers too. I wish him the best.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
This is terrible news. I've been an Andrus fan for as long as I can remember. I hope he still decides to attend Kramien's this year. I am very much looking forward to finally meeting him and shaking his hand.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
My prayers and best wishes to Jerry and his family.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Mona Morrison
View Profile
New user
chicago area
26 Posts

Profile of Mona Morrison
My prayers and healing thoughts go out to Jerry. He has always been a wonderful, sharing person and an amazing magician.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Sad news indeed.

He has had a long and exceptional life and will live on in our memories.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
This is terrible news.

I saw Jerry at a couple of lectures in the very early 80's and both times he was extremely cordial and helpful. I told him I was performing his "Miser's Miracle" while table hopping, and he offered several tips.

A couple of months after the last lecture, I ran into him in the lobby of the Chase Hotel during registration for the Midwest Magic Jubilee. He remembered me and said "Here's something new" and began talking about holistic medicine and accupressure, and suddenly a three inch, four or five pound solid steel ball bearing dropped out of nowhere into my hand and literally, and I do mean literally, buckled my knees. (And I was pretty jaded at that point.)

Later that weekend, I was lucky enough to eavesdrop on a long and riveting conversation he had with someone else about god, the universe and whether or not there was any such thing as "random."

I love the way this man's mind works. I love Jerry Andrus' work. He struck me as being a very kind, fascinating, and brilliantly creative man.

I am very sorry to hear that he is not well.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 21:51, SethKotkin wrote:
He lives on now. Let's send all positive energy to this interesting and wonderful person.

Agreed, this is probably a good time to remind him how much we enjoy his magic, illusions and his positive and wholesome attitude.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Our warmest thoughts and deepest prayers are with you, Jerry.
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
This is very sad news.
I only had the great good fortune to meet Jerry Andrus once, back in the 70's, but I remember being bowled over,both by his boundless creativity, and his friendliness. Over the years I have been repeatedly amazed by one original idea after another from this wonderful guy.
All positive thoughts to you, Jerry.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I can't think of anyone more deserving of our prayers...

God please care for Jerry. Help take away his pain, and help him find solace.

~Jim
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I wish I could shake his hand and give him my wishes in person. Bless you, Jerry.

Steve
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Here's Jerry's address, if you would like to send him a card or note:
Jerry Andrus
1638 East First Avenue
Albany, Oregon 97321

The Portland Society of Magicians is planning an evening tribute to Jerry on Saturday, March 3, 2007. It will be held at 7:00pm at the Oregon Stamp Society Building, 4828 NE 33rd Avenue, Portland, OR 97211. (Note: Do not send cards or mail to this address.)

If you would like to send a note or card to Jerry as a surprise to be given to him at the tribute, please mail them c/o: Ken Magee, 1220 SW 3rd Ave. #1525, Portland, OR 97204. Ken will see that Jerry gets them on March 3.

Regards -
David
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Also, here's Jerry's e-mail:

andrus.jerry@comcast.net

- David
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
David,
Thanks for putting out this contact info. I know there are a lot of us out there who can't make the trip to Albany, OR. but would like to send some love and respect to a man who has given so much to the art.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Just a reminder that Jerry's get together is tonight at the Oregon Stamp Club building. Address is stated above. Please take the time tonight and come see Jerry and express your care and gratitude for a man who has made a difference in the world of Magic.

See you there!

Brian
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hi there everyone, I made the trip down to Oregon from Seattle to attend. I was warmly greated by Brian when we got down there and he drove us over to the event. Jerry was very surprised at what was going on...I don't think he knew that he was getting honored before he got there. Jerry looked in good and was able to get up and talk to everyone for a bit. I enjoyed watching him take the time to talk to everyone after and take lots of pictures to aanyone that wanted one. Jerry Andrus is truly a great man and I was glad to have the oppurtunity to hang out with him for a night. Thanks to all the guys in Portland for putting this together. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Brian, it was great to see you again last night. I had a blast and will never forget the night that was all about Jerry and Dwight. There were so many people packed into one room. I didn't count them all, but it seemed like 80 or more in what would normally be a room of about 15 for monthly meetings. The turn out was incredible, the show of support and respect for Jerry was AMAZING!
The highlight for me was seeing the huge smiles on Jerry and Dwight's faces when Reed McClintock did his special command performance for these two kings of magic at the Voleur restaraunt. This was a night that many people will never ever forget. It will live on in the hearts and minds of all who were there.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Yes,Is great to see Two Brian again!
yesterday is unforgettable. is a sad news to hear about Jerry health problem, but I saw a lot the great support yesterday,a lot the poeple drive from long way to support Jerry,Jerry is a great man, I am so lucky I can meet him by person and learn a lot for him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Jerry Andrus Is Terminally Ill (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL