The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Hoodwinkings manuscript (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
I'll try to get two birds with one stone here...

Performing at the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island is quite different than performing at the theme parks. For example, instead of presenting one show several times a day all week long (as I did at Disney's Animal Kingdom), on Hilton Head Island, I perform an average of 32 shows per week...and 17 of those acts are completely different. It's taken a looong time to get to this point.

Disney gives me the freedom to change my material as I see fit...it keeps things fresh for both the guests and me. About every thirteen months or so, I replace an act entirely. "Hoodwinkings" is the private name I gave the act that occupied a 30-minute time slot during the middle of the week. I replaced that act with "PredictAbilities" when the Disney folks extended the time-slot to 45-minutes. It was the excuse I needed to change things around.

"PredictAbilities" is a longer act by about 15 minutes, but uses only a deck of cards and a small dry-erase board for props. Nothing is gimmicked.

By the phrase 'character-based mentalism or magic' I'm referring to effects that I have either created or adapted to specifically fit the character-role I play at the resort. The guests see me as a sort of island-codger, a guy who looks as if he is ready to spend the day fishing in the creek. I blend magic and mentalism with tall tales and fiddle tunes...depending on the circumstances.

Therefore, I tend to perform close-up and parlour shows with props out of my pockets...or props that make sense for my character to have with him. For example, I use a small dry-erase board. When I bring it out, it has high/low tide information on it. As I erase it, I'm mutter, "I hope those kayak tour guides don't mind me borrowing this for the show...". See? Now the audience has an acceptable reason for why I'm carrying a dry-erase board of all things.

I know a lot of mentalists don't care for using playing cards in their shows, but I've never seen the logic in that. Today, more than ever, playing cards are common household items. Audiences love unexplainable feats happening with stuff they own, too.

When I pull the cards from my pocket, if a guest asks, "What are you doing with those?" I shrug my shoulders and say, "Sometimes the fish don't bite and I need something to do; but after a while even Solitaire gets old. Wanna see what else I've learned to with these things?" And, we're off and running.

In the realm of magic, I love the chop-cup effect. However, I use an old bait can and round cork bobbers for props...my final load is a large ball of tangled fishing line. See? Character-based.

All this being said, the scripts in my Act-series manuscripts are written with you guys in mind and so the audience has no problem seeing the cards and few props as logical tools for these 'experiments'.

I know this answer is long-winded, but I wanted to be clear.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heck, I just ordered one. $20 for what is described seems a steal.... $20!?!!?.... please see my thread on manuscript gems for under $50 (although Mick is alive)!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 10:04, Mick Ayres wrote:
When I pull the cards from my pocket, if a guest asks, "What are you doing with those?"

And really, how often has that happened? (Not very often, I'll bet.) We need to get over our fear of cards.

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Not a fear Chet, just a dislike.

Plus, I think I'm allergic. Every time I look at them, I see spots.

Tony
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Uh...twice, Chet. But over a period of seven years here, that ain't bad. Both times, the question was asked in curiosity...not as if I'd just pulled a handful of old bait-fish out of my pocket.

Yo, Tony...but WHY the dislike? What'd cards ever do to you? Smile'

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Is hoodwinkings a e-book or download?
Always in motion is the future
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
'Hoodwinkings' is sent immediately as a downloadable pdf.file or the printed book can be snailmailed to your home address. Add a fin to cover the shipping.

Best,
Mick
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
I want to thank the diners here in the Café for the startling reception I've had with 'Hoodwinkings'. Putting bread-and-butter items "out there" is always risky...and in this case it was a entire act. However, the PMs and idea-twists I've received on the routines have been both encouraging and clever.

Again, thank you all for the response. Keep it close to the vest?

Best,
Mick
magicetc
View Profile
New user
Chris
14 Posts

Profile of magicetc
Mick and I talk on a weekly basis. We have worked together on fund-raisers and is always generous with his thoughts and time. One of the great things about talking with Mick is his hammering out ideas long before they are published. And it is absolutely true that Hoodwinkings (as well as his other material) is for paying audiences. His livelihood depends on it.
As to the issue about "cards," see T.A. Waters and others who balk at this inside prohibition. I love sleight of hand and I love to ring in a deck (you won't know when either). Mick and I have talked about my memorized deck routine, etc., and one thing is sure about audiences- if it looks like manipulation, it probably is. So when Mick does an act with cards, it will kill with no artificial division between lay and magic audiences- he fools both and fools both badly. But it doesn't look like he's doing anything. If you know Mick, he can hold his own with the top 5 card guys in the country. But again, he'll fool you because he's that good. I spent an afternoon watching Mick do one of his versions of a pass (it wasn't really a pass) but even AFTER he told me what he was doing, I couldn't see it. So I absolutely and whole heartedly endorse Hoodwinkings

Chris
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
I purchased this manuscript from Mr. Ayres yesterday, and it was promptly delivered to my mailbox.

I won't go into the details of each effect, and obviously I have not performed it yet, but I can't wait to get this act polished and on it's feet. I think it is a great example of "packs flat, plays big."

I don't know Mr. Ayres personally, but it is very obvious that he has a remarkable understanding of relating to audiences.

Thanks Mick for a truly exciting contribution to the art!

To anyone on the fence about this one, go for it! I almost feel guilty getting so much for just $20.00.

Cheers,

D.T.3
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Hey, many thanks to Chris and DT3 for the generous comments about Hoodwinkings!

I keep receiving one criticism over and over...that Hoodwinkings is underpriced.

In this day and age, there are a lot of "limited" edition manuscripts being offered for high fees...particularly in the field of mentalism. However, I still believe in the idea of offering a good product at a fair price.

I'm very happy everyone feels they are getting more than their money's worth.

Best,
Mick
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
When it comes to cards........ I'm all Thumbs............... So I'm giving this a TEN THUMBS UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very good indeed Smile Even for me.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Well, I will have to take the leap. I don't want to kick myself after the price goes up!

John
emptycupmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of emptycupmagic
You WILL NOT be disappointed John.
I can't wait for the price to go up.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
I don't want to even reveal the name of the last effect in the routine, because it will spoil the surprise, but John, you will feel you got your money's worth just for the last effect!

Those who want to check out some other great ideas from Mick, check out the July 2001 Linking Ring if you have it. Among the great effects in his one man parade is a great little number called Rhyme Time, which is literally an award winning effect!

I really can't wait for Predictabilites...Mick, you are making it too easy for us! (Thanks ;-))
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
I don't think there's much I can say, praise wise, that hasn't been said. I can offer Mick a pat on the back for being overly fair to mentalists everywhere.

'Hoodwinkings' is one of those works that could easily have been treated as 'exclusive' and packaged at a price ten times as much as Micks asking... Seriously..

I'd love to see a comic, a musician, or any serious performer purchase a 30 minute act for twenty bucks.
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Don,

Are you sure my One-Man Parade was the July 2001 issue? I thought it was July 2002. I have a few vanity copies in a box somewhere but don't want to dig for it...I'm hoping your copy is close by. Smile

(sigh) You'd think that I would know this...

Best,
Mick
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Mick, you are right I just checked and it's July 2002. Great tricks in there!

Cheers,

Don

Oh, and Hi Top Hat! How's things?
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Every once in a while someone comes along that has it all. Not only are they blessed with charisma, talent (by the trucks loads), an amazingly creative mind and the intellect to put it all together but also one heck of a nice guy. Now anyone who has ever had the pleasure of meeting him knows I am talking about Mick Ayres.

Over the years I have had the pleasure of calling Mick a friend and I have been fortunate enough to compile most of his offerings to my library. To say the least I am a fan of Mick’s work and that’s why I was so excited when “Hoodwinkings” was released to the magic community.

I almost hate to admit this about myself but I have become over the years a bit of a trick collector. I am always pumped up about purchasing something that has caught my eye and that enthusiasm last until I get the effect/book etc. and start practicing. I am happy to report that this is not the case with “Hoodwinkings”. I have had my copy for about a month and a half and I still get excited about practicing the routines (the act) within those digital pages. I am really looking forward to making it part of my working repertoire.

Mick you hit a home run with “Hoodwinkings”. Great job.

Thank you.

Tony Torres
...the magic that creates Memories!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Excellent. I just read over Hoodwinkings and worked a couple of the effects. I love it. Any card-man, actually, you don't even need to be categorized a card person. Anyone can perform these effects. I shouldn't be saying this, 'cause now everyone will.

The show is fun, easy to perform, all the stuff is there. It's solid as a rock too. I mean even reading through I could sense a beginning, middle and an end.

I will certainly be performing some of these effects on the way to learning the entire act.

Thanks Mick!

John Cesta

PS: Well worth my impulse purchase price of $17.00 for an instant PDF. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Hoodwinkings manuscript (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL