The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thedisciple
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of thedisciple
I wondered what coins easily available in the usa or elsewhere are magnetic. Could any one help me? This knowledge might help in using a magnet sewn into one's pants or jacket to have coins hidden so they can be produced. I believe some current Brasilian coins are magnetic.
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
Canadian quarters and dimes are magnetic. Some American quarters, pennies and Canadian pennies are also magnetic.
'Pick a card, any card'
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Are coins purposely made magnetic or is more that coins are made of metals that are attracted to magnets?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
The only American coins that are attracted to magnets (I assume this is what you mean) are 1943 US Cents (pennies) which were made of steel rather than copper. The reason they were made this way was because copper was in short supply due to the war.
They don't look like normal cents unless you get them copper plated.
Any other US coin that is attracted to a magnet has been gimmicked. Vending machines in the US often use magnets to detect fake coins.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
*Sigh* Canadian coin workers have it so easy. I've used Canadian quarters for routines here in the US, and simply justified it by claiming I had a gig this past week in Canada and ended up with all this "useless change." Americans think it's funny - I just say it to justify why I'm using Canadian coins.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
That's easy enough for you, Brian, living close to Canada. In the mid-south I never see canadian quarters. They are as rare as hen's teeth.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Some Chinese Dollar-size coins I have aren't magnetic perse, but are made of metals that are attracted to magnets. I actually like that that's the case with them.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I have seen magnetic half dollars, I do believe they are from Johnson. They probably have quaters too.
Aim To Amaze
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
As montemagic stated, Johnson sells magnetic or steel shimmed coins if you are planning to purchase some. Also there are some top notch coin gaffers who make them as well. But you will pay more money through them than the Johnson coins.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
You can find shimmed half dollars, english penny and copper silver coins that are attracted to a magnet, here:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=2062
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
YOu can Get Shimed coins from the link above.. or you can go to your bank and ask them if they have canadian or coins from D.R. I belive some French Currency is magnetic 2 ...
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I found some Italian coins that are attracted to magnets, and are close enough to quarter size to pass, as long as they are face up, but the tail side has an image of the Roman God Vulcan with a bare butt, which might be an issue.Then again it might inspire some interesting patter.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
It isn't just Canadian quarters and dimes that are magnetic. Our one and two dollar coins are also magnetic. That is really nice!

Louis Jutras
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:29, Loual4 wrote:
It isn't just Canadian quarters and dimes that are magnetic. Our one and two dollar coins are also magnetic. That is really nice!

Louis Jutras

As far as I know, NO modern coinage is magnetic, however some are made from permeable metals. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeabilit......etism%29

If you want a magnetic coin you will still have to get to a machinist.

There is some chance your coin could be magnetized (by an applied HUGE magnetic field)though how long it would stay that way is ... complicated.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
thedisciple
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of thedisciple
Although it is only a terminology question, it is amusing to see so much in this thread about magnetic versus magnetizable materials (called by various alternate names such as permeable in the thread). Just because I started this thread and because my day job happens to be in the study of physical systems including magnetic, I thought I might mention, if I do not offend anyone, that at least in science terminology, magnetic does not necessarily mean *permanent magnet* type. If a substance has its tiny atomic magnets permanently aligned with one another, it is called a permanent magnet. If a substance has only *alignable* tiny atomic magnets which align in the presence of a permanent magnet but then get disordered in its absence, it is called magnetizable, magnetic, and so on. THAT is what I had asked in the original entry in the thread. Some canadian coins, some Brazilian coins and probably no current US coin, are magnetic in this way (not permanent magnets). Since I can always attach a magnetic coin of this kind to a permanent magnet that is enough for me to do magic. Other coins are neither permanent magnets (I have never known of any but it is not impossible) nor magnetic (or magnetizable) and I can't use them for the purposes stated.

The technical name for the permanent magnet materials (please forgive if I sound stuffy) is *ferromagnetic* while for the kind of coins I was asking about is *paramagnetic*.
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
I read somewhere on these pages that the Canadian pennies with a "p" under the queens head are magnetic.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 12:02, thedisciple wrote:
The technical name for the permanent magnet materials (please forgive if I sound stuffy) is *ferromagnetic* while for the kind of coins I was asking about is *paramagnetic*.

Thanks for the education. This thread was beginning to give me a headache. It seemed like everyone was using a different meaning for magnetic. It's almost as bad at any thread regarding 'impromptu' effects!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Part of our role as magicians is to keep technological knowlege intact and in context.

Be that the recipe for woofle dust or the meaning of 'abracadabra'.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:29, Loual4 wrote:

Louis Jutras

As far as I know, NO modern coinage is magnetic, however some are made from permeable metals. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeabilit......etism%29

If you want a magnetic coin you will still have to get to a machinist.

There is some chance your coin could be magnetized (by an applied HUGE magnetic field)though how long it would stay that way is ... complicated.

My bad... I meant that these coins will be attracted to a magnet... No need to do anything to them, a magnet will pick them up.

Hope this clears things up..

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Speaking of magnets, have a look at http://www.engconcepts.net.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL