The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Finger palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I find that keeping half dollars in CP while I'm reading, drivingwatching TV, etc helps me get my hands to relax better, so that my CP looks more natural. If I neglect doing this for a week or so, and then try to CP a coin, my hands appear contorted, as though I have some sort of affliction.
By the way, if you do it while you are driving, use coins that you can drop on the floor and not worry about, not your best walking liberties, or you are liable to cause an accident when you drop them (and you WILL drop them)
SortKwik on the palms helps a lot.
Silver and Copper coins "stick" better, clad coins are slippery.
Another thing to practice, that gets neglected a lot, is moving coins from one concealment to another, for instance CP, FPR, TP, FP, FPR, CP, and then change the order around, figuring out ways of moving from one to another.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I use a classic palm more then a finger palm. I don't know why but I like it more.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 01:41, mithrius wrote: The Ramsey subtlety outclasses the Downs subtlety by a light year, by my judgment.

You're right, the Ramsey Subtlety is a tremendous side benefit to the Finger Palm; thanks for mentioning it, I had forgotten to. You might not think that such a move would actually work, but it really does and is extremely deceptive. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
810 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 01:41, mithrius wrote:
Besides, the Ramsey subtlety outclasses the Downs subtlety by a light year, by my judgment.

The 'Downs subtlety'? Do you mean the Kaps Subtlety?

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10783 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mickey Silver one of the best coin workers of of out time
never I mean never classic palms
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 14:45, phedonbilek wrote:
Quote:
Besides, the Ramsey subtlety outclasses the Downs subtlety by a light year, by my judgment.

You're right. Thanks for correcting that!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8833 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey DS, I too do a little something that makes my CP work instantly better...Perhaps it might be of interest to others.

Besides practicing it everywhere like you, I usually also take and press pretty hard on the coin (usually a half dollar) into my right palm with the thumb of my left hand, and hold it there for about maybe :30 seconds, with my hand closing as tight as possible around the coin in CP position. When I let it go, my CP is instantly better as the muscles in the palm of my hand seem to have been forced to adapt quickly to the form/edges in holding the coin in place. Works every time, and I'm usually able to nearly make my hand flat in holding the coin. I came across this long time back now, in trying to develop a better CP. It has worked for me, hopefully it can help others. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
MB does that work in faster context as in the Ross Bertram vanish from his coin assembly in Stars of Magic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8833 Posts

Profile of Mb217
JT, I'm not sure...Not familiar with this??? It's really something I just do myself and it seems to work pretty good when you're using the CP. I've never heard of anyone saying they did this or used it even, just that I found out long ago that it caused the fleshy muscles in the hand to somewhat grasp the coin a bit more in line with a pretty good CP. Sorry, I don't know any particular history on it, besides my own experience with it. So since I don't know if it works or not with the Ross Bertram Vanish, then maybe it does.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
jedoonatmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
FL/residing temp. TX
228 Posts

Profile of jedoonatmagic
I had a hard time learning CP. And I dunno if anyne ever done this, but I use to force CP on my hand. At the time I had taken a flat tip wooden dowel and placed the coin on the end. I put my hand over the coin and would press the coin as hard as I can against my palm. Needless to say now that it was an act of desperation, but it worked, though do not recommend this method to anyone. It does hurt and it had left a little bruising, but I got it. LoL. What it all boils down to is preference. Do what is comfortable and natural for you. Nowadays, I rarely even use CP, but thank God for EG, FP, front/back clips, mutobe, and JW grip. =0)
One for the money...., 2 for a pass..., 3 for a Fly..., and 4 for matrix!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 15:39, Mb217 wrote:
Hey DS, I too do a little something that makes my CP work instantly better...Perhaps it might be of interest to others.

Besides practicing it everywhere like you, I usually also take and press pretty hard on the coin (usually a half dollar) into my right palm with the thumb of my left hand, and hold it there for about maybe :30 seconds, with my hand closing as tight as possible around the coin in CP position. When I let it go, my CP is instantly better as the muscles in the palm of my hand seem to have been forced to adapt quickly to the form/edges in holding the coin in place. Works every time, and I'm usually able to nearly make my hand flat in holding the coin. I came across this long time back now, in trying to develop a better CP. It has worked for me, hopefully it can help others. Smile -MB

MB,
I'm impressed, I just tried this, and found that I have a great deal more finger and hand dexterity with a coin CPed.
I wonder how long the effect lasts? Thanks for this tip, I'm going to experiment with it.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

How many of you tried this in context of the Bertram vanish? The one where you use your thumb to press the coin in place and set up the 'sucker' vanish. The word sucker is in quotes so folks remember not to play the audience as suckers by turning a good feint into a base jibe.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 07:37, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
How many of you tried this in context of the Bertram vanish? The one where you use your thumb to press the coin in place and set up the 'sucker' vanish. The word sucker is in quotes so folks remember not to play the audience as suckers by turning a good feint into a base jibe.

Jon,
I'm reading through the Bertram Coin Assembly, and I'm not sure I follow just which sucker vanish you are referring to. On p.137 theres a sort of feint, which I think is supposed to look like a clumsy retention vanish from the right hand, retaining the coin in the right palm. Is that the one?
The other one is on p 138, the lower part of the page, but this one doesn't seem like what we are talking about.
Could you clarify this when you get a chance, either here or in a PM? I am interested in your idea of using this exercise technique during performance, and I'd like to understand your example better.
Thanks!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

I don't have the book in front of me so this will be from memory.

In the coin assembly there is a French drop feint type vanish where you take the coin from the left fingertips and actually take the coin, pressing it into CP.

Or is this from Derek Dingle's version? hmmm perhaps Ross Bertram did the feint from under his hand as a take?

Been a while and the minutia are starting to fade into an Alzheimer's haze of obsolete technique here. <- that's a reference to all that coin stuff where you close your hand around a single coin which I worked from 76-80 to find or develop other options. Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Jon,
I suspect that may be it, because the feint in the Bertram version, seems more like feint retention vanish. I have been trying to find an excuse to buy Dingle's Complete Works, you may have given me one now!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Austini
View Profile
New user
CA, Temecula
48 Posts

Profile of Austini
I use CP a lot, but I also use FP. But all-in-all I like CP better becuase it fells more natural and is extremely useful.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I don't do much coin work. the little I did I tended to use FP much more and my next favoured move was the bobo switch. I like the hang ping chien as well. Even the venerable french drop is ok! Classic palm is difficult with small and light coins (it is difficult per se!): in UK our coinage is getting smaller and lighter all the time. The one exception has been the relatively recent introduction of the £2 coin which is a good size for a change (no pun intended). I do not like, for my audiences, using US coins though people who do coins a lot do tend to do so in this country. Our silver coins are all too small and light. The 50p piece is an odd shape and a few years ago they made it smaller and thinner.
I am a great fan of the Ramsey subtlety and use it with other props and object too (eg 'sponge' napkins). There is an equivalent move for the Downs palm. Oddly, I mastered doing a one coin downs palm 30 years ago and have never performed it publically but still do it for practice at home. If there is a routine that only needs a one coin DP (eg a misers dream?) I'd like to hear about it and where I can find it (dvd preferred to books)
BTW, I do like the Downs
mrsmiles
(UK)
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I am trying to master the CP at the moment. Started off with a Morgan, but then found a Walker to be relatively much easier to try a CP. Found that the Morgan kept trying to slip off the grip. I also discovered pressing a coin into the palm and exercise, contracting and relaxing, the muscles gripping the coin in the hopes of conditioning them for the CP.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-07 14:45, phedonbilek wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean the Malini Subtlety?

Phedon
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I think as many of you said before that it depends on the situation, maybe there are situations where a FP would be better than a CP and vice versa. For example if you are to conceal a coin in your hand when you are performing coin magic seated, I think the FP will look much more natural, xpecially in the finger rest position.

If you are performing stand up magic I think the CP is best for me. It also depends on what the hand palming the coin needs to do. Of course if you have the coin in CP and the hand is just there doing nothin it will look suspicious no matter the fingers are open, it will look much better in a finger rest position.

I've learnt the classic palm from David Roth's Expert Coin Magic volume 1, and even so I cannot CP a coin like David does keeping the hand that flat, but I took his advice of using the hand with the coin in CP all the time 24/7 using the hand to eat, to type in the computer's keyboard, even when I travel in subway I have the coin in CP and with the same hand I'm holding myself on the tubes the subway wagon has.
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Finger palm (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL