The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Higley's book about The Dark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
OK..I promised Tony and others I let everybody know when the book was out. Because of all the hits I'm getting to certain pages I decided to move up the availability.

It's not a magic book but it is about the chemistry of entertainment in the dark and why it works.

Scary Dark Rides (From The Midways to Disneyland)is available in Hard Cover at $28 and Soft Cover @ $14.99 from

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=878317

Thanks all. You'll like it. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Boy did I open a can o' worms...er, Zibits...

good luck!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mine first came out in 1999 and went through 8 (eight) successful printings...it ain't your can or can opener Smile

I recently (last year) re-wrote it and planned to re-publish this spring BUT with all the hits I'm getting I figured now was the time.

Where were you in 99? hahaha and what were you wearing? Seems like a hundred years ago.

Thanks my friend

Doug
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I have not yet read the latest revision/incarnation of Scary Dark Rides, but I have read the previous edition. This is a must read for fans of the midway and dark rides in particular. It brought back many childhood memories of my first Dark Entertainment experiences. I have no doubt that those dark rides had a huge effect on the performer (and probably the person) I am today. Thank you Doug for encouraging me -- though your book -- to relive those experiences.

Dave
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Thank you Doug.

:readingbook:
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Ah, but tis my secret publisher.... Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mine too! Smile

I'll be expecting your order.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Ah, cant go on rides.....turbans too big they say....its probably just because they think I have a bomb Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Uh...like it say's on the book flap...It's for those who ride, will ride, can't ride or are afraid to ride.

I bought your book and I don't do voodoo, can't do voodoo and am afraid to do voodoo. haha

oh...and don't blame the turban, it's the shaky legs. Smile
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
It's not the turban or the shaky legs, truth be told, HE'S NOT TALL ENOUGH.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
And he screams like a little girl.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I just had to make a decision to take care of those who asked for signed copies. So here it is...

Soft cover or Hard cover available at the storefront at the publisher by clicking the image on spookybook.com

Note: SIGNED Hard Cover is available by using the PayPal link on the page.

All is readily identified.

Having my book in hard cover and being able to sign it has been a life long dream...thanks all!

This will be a very Limited Edition.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have a new 'twist' on the book thing...you'll find it at the bottom of the page...there is a question...but please don't answer it here...send me a PM or eMail. (It's at the SpookyBook.com page)
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Above post obsolete. But the book isn't! ;-) See the new cover.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
I ordered mine!

For those who are unaware, Doug's book is quite a hit among the people who form the membership of amusement park and dark ride historian/enthusiast organizations. I was aware of "that guy's book" before I heard of The Magic Café.
It is the only book of its kind published and is an essential part of a history of spooky entertainment.

I have my e-copy, but there is just something about the feel, weight, and smell (yes, smell!) of a book that makes me prefer the mystique of the printed page over the convenience of electronic information.

Chris
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I have a feeling it will be on interest for anyone who loves the dark, period!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
What about those of us afraid of the dark?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'd ask- what the heck are they doing around here? Well, we can probably use them as vict- eerr specs for Dark Museum effects...
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Why was my post deleted that asked about what the the difference was between the previously free online version of this book and the new commercial (for profit) version of this book?

It's an honest question.

What rule did I violate?

Who deleted it?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm.....

1) I don't know

2) Sounds honest

3) Beats me

4) Wasn't me

But I can guess the answer to your first question since I remember the free online version too:

1) Maybe everyone who likes Doug kicked his head to make him realize his work is excellent and he shouldn't hand it out for free

2) The online version is made of electrons, the book is made of different elements and is solid.

3) You get it signed by the High Higly - and thus it is collectable.

4) Maybe there is extra goodies...

Sorry Reese, I could not resist....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Higley's book about The Dark (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL