The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins...asking for them (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
How many of you ask for coins for a trick you perform?
Anyone get any eyebrow raises because of it?
I want to go far...
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
In impromptu situations, yes I have borrowed coins.

Eyebrow raises? Meaning what?
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello Fraser,
Every chance I get. I live in Canada and I have some customized gaffs. Twoonie Shell, Flipper, Folding, Balancing etc. It always plays better, for me at least. My audiences are always suspicious of those "fake coins", meaning different currencies from different countries. Could be all in my presentation,don't know. After getting them warmed up with borrowed coins, that's when I introduce the "exotic" ones, like standard US Shells, C/S, Hopping Halves, C/S/B. Time after time the people I meet keep saying the same thing, which is " why are you using those coins? They're trick coins, aren't they? That's why every chance I get I go with the borrowed, currency "of the realm"
Jim
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
JimmyJ summed it up pretty well. If it fits into your routine to be able to use any coins, why not ask if they have them. It adds the "HE USED MY COINS!" when they remember the experience. Just always have your own backups, and let them be examined first to squall any suspicions.
Aim To Amaze
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 18:11, Jaz wrote:
In impromptu situations, yes I have borrowed coins.

Eyebrow raises? Meaning what?

what I mean by the eyebrow raising is that I know that some people think that the whole purpose of asking for the coin is to eventually get the coin from the spectator. I remember when I was first getting into magic, my mother and I went to a restaurant magician who performed for us and asked for a coin. Immediately my mom assumed that the purpose of this was to get it for a tip... she was right. Afterwards the magician handed put the coin into his pocket and then paused reached back into his pocket and said "oh that's right, this isn't my coin. It's your coin."

Tommy Wonder brings this up as well. The first thing he says during his opening Ring watch and wallet is "do you all have your hands on your money? There's no need, I'm a magician not a robber."

I was just wondering how the "borrowing of coins" affects the audience's desire to watch or to participate.
I want to go far...
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
You know it's very likely he was switching coins back and used the line mentioned to make the switch! My guess is he never intended on keeping the coin. But who knows?

maybe just comment and say, "May I borrow a coin, I'll be giving it right back." simple and takes their mind off the borrowed coin so they can enjoy your manipulations.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
It depends what effect I'm going to do. If I'm going to do 3 Fly, then I will always use Dollars. I tell them what they are, where they are from and why I use them. The reason I use them is because of the size and visibility for everyone to see. I never get questioned on them and I can hand the coins out if I keep the gimmick. If I'm going to do coin through table I will borrow coins. I have a coin through table which looks weird, even to magicians as it uses any currency, and values and nothing extra. It is really complex, and requires lots of practice, but the effect and visualness is something that you don't usually get. I would teach it, but I know that many people wouldn't care for the method or think it was too much work for the effect when they can use gimmicks or false transfers etc, but to me the method for myself is worth it. I can do a coins across with borrowed coins as well, doesn't look as clean or good as the 3 Fly effects I use, but it still works. Spellbound as well is a great effect if you jazz it up with borrowed coins changing in lots of different ways!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I don't like to borrow coins (though that will change as I'm starting to practice pencil through quarter). I used to borrow a dime for the dime and penny transpo, but I found that there wasn't much difference in the reaction so I stopped.

If you do choose to borrow a coin or a bill, you should make sure it sounds as little like "Would you like to see a magic trick, great! now take out some money." as possible.

Also remember that if your audience is seated it can be awkward for them to fish something out of their pockets. One of Darwin's Laws is to never make the audience work.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Charles Darwin, I really don't know too much about him. It is Charles Darwin right? However I suppose that having the audience fish out coins from their pockets also slows the routine down and might slow down the effect? Dead space.
I want to go far...
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-08 17:24, Fraser Orr-Brown wrote:
How many of you ask for coins for a trick you perform?
Anyone get any eyebrow raises because of it?

I do pen through Quarter. Many times they will say "Do we get it back?". I simply reply with " Of course you'll get it back...I'm not here for your Quarter", with a smile on my face.

It's really funny how they'll spend $60.00 on dinner then hesisite to lend you a Quarter. Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks for the explanation about eyebrows Fraser.

Jameson is talking about Darwin Ortiz.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
First, I believe he was citing Darwin Ortiz.

As to borrowing a coin or coins... probably easier if you enroll them in the entertainment before asking them to contribute to the activity or to get hands on (volunteer) participation.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
WOW DO I FEEL STUPID!! Charles Darwin... nice Fraser! haha Somehow I tied in the creator of evolution into magic haha! whoops. I've even just bought Darwin Ortiz's book Scams and Fantasies just recently! A story to share later on I guess!
I want to go far...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Charles Darwin would be the type to suggest that over generations of magicians, the "look" of conjuring would change to suit its venues. Mind you the magic shop seems to have gotten stuck in the early twentieth century and so is its own sort of venue.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
During impromptu situations you should ask for coins, but make sure your not panhandling. Tell them you want to show them something with their coins. Not " I want to see a coin ". It would be better if you did a trick before you borrow a coin, then they would trust you.
'Pick a card, any card'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins...asking for them (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL