The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » J ack right about Randi from the get go. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
There was no exposure on Randi's site this week. I think that's a good thing. Perhaps he has thought twice about it. I don't really know.

There are internet magic shops that expose dozens of magical items and principles. Should we not also be discussing them, if exposure is the issue?

- entity
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
The problem I have always had with him and others is the mass media exposure.

In fact I could care less about his web site and books becouse a person must go searching for that information.

It is a price to be paid.

However mass media exposure is different animal.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
My only concern about the proposed JREF website exposures was that the information might be picked up by wire services, mass media, etc.

- entity
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lets at least be honest.

You guys gripe about exposure because you feel it affects your pocket book.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Danny

Exposure does not really hurt my pocketbook. I've had people sit down with me, people with preconceived notions based on a television show, but when we get started, the looks on their faces change and we move along. I've been told by many that it was nothing like they ever expected.

Exposure does hurt some that I know though; it costs them in routines and effects. When the exposure occurs, many remove the pieces that were exposed, at least for a little while, and replace them with something else. It is inconvenient, and depending on what was exposed, it could be a costly item to replace.

I gripe about it because it is another bit of mystery that is gone. Some person wanting to make a name for himself, or make a point, spoils a mystery that could entertain. Who and what gives that person the right to decide what is good for everyone else? If I want to tell my child about the Easter Bunny, it is my decision, not some guy who didn't get his fill of peeps last year.

Tony
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
When you said earlier that exposure of methods doesn't really hurt any competent pro, I agreed with you. It doesn't affect me monetarily at all. My concern is that it affects those learning Magic. It makes their limited arsenal even more limited, and it gives young Magicians the impression that secrets in Magic aren't important.

As Tony mentioned above, it also takes something valuable away from the audience -- Mystery.

- entity
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 13:12, TT2 wrote:
It didn't suit me.

Lumberjohn proposes that it may not be "wrong" to expose one or two things (out of the many thousands) that are out there, if for a greater good.

I meant the description I quoted. And I maintain that it is a description that fits many but will be subjectively recognized only in one's enemies, of some kind or other. Or only in the ones one is prepared to actually speak of.

I am claiming that the "skeptical" mindset often displayed here is applied unevenly by the same people to different groups in society, for various reasons.

Millard, great to read your posts. I hope you are well!

/Bamba
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
TT2 wrote: "Look at Randi's life, he is obsessed with Geller. Do you think Uri thinks twice about James Randi, on any given day?"

Hell yes! Ever since Randi helped expose Geller for what he really is on national television via Johnny Carson, Geller has been obsessed with Randi, sending hundreds of letters through his attorneys and initiating several lawsuits. If it weren't for Randi, there would be many more people around today who would believe that that publicity slut really bends spoons with his alleged mind.

I think if Randi's mission were to simply expose magic secrets he would just post a link to that super secret site where all magic is revealed - Youtube!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My belief is and was and always will be they were BOTH very clever marketers. They need each other.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
But only one of them is being honest.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Which one? How do you define "honesty"?
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Honesty:

–noun, plural -ties.
1. the quality or fact of being honest; uprightness and fairness.
2. truthfulness, sincerity, or frankness.
3. freedom from deceit or fraud.
4. Botany. a plant, Lunaria annua, of the mustard family, having clusters of purple flowers and semitransparent, satiny pods.
5. Obsolete. chastity.

I think it's pretty easy to figure out which one, TT2.
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Quote:
On 2007-02-19 15:27, DJM wrote:
Honesty:

–noun, plural -ties.
1. the quality or fact of being honest; uprightness and fairness.
2. truthfulness, sincerity, or frankness.
3. freedom from deceit or fraud.
4. Botany. a plant, Lunaria annua, of the mustard family, having clusters of purple flowers and semitransparent, satiny pods.
5. Obsolete. chastity.

I think it's pretty easy to figure out which one, TT2.

I don't...
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
See Danny and Scott this really had nothing to do with anything you two were going on about.

Just a simple comment.

J ack

H.O.A-X

Click here to view attached image.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1419 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
"Obsolete, chastity". At least one of these "Honestly" describes the "great debunker".
That, and being "of the mustard family, having clusters of purple flowers and semitransparent". Smile

Posted: Feb 20, 2007 7:59pm
Geller on the other hand was often accused of being just "a plant".
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Chastity?
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1419 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 20:19, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Chastity?

I know, funny how that got in there ! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » J ack right about Randi from the get go. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL