The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Show Themes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
I was thinking the other day and thought this would amke for an interesting topic, what kind of approach to an illusion show hasnt been attempted yet. For example you have Franz Harrary with his whole futuristic theme, Criss Angel with gothic type illusions, David Copperfield with a lot of story based illusions, Greg Frewin with a lot colourful magic, Seigfreid and Roy with there unique approach with lions and tigers etc.

so my question is, what theme(s)/ style(s) do you think havent been attempted yet, or that you would like to see attempted in illusion shows.

For example I think it would be cool if there was an illusionist who made his show in a circus kind of theme (if one is not already doing so) and using acrobats and clowns as assistants etc, and doing magic with things that you would find in a circus eg, girl to lion, vanishing girl on trapeze etc.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Harry Blackstone Jr. Had a circus theme to part of his act, and Mark Wilson had his successful "Magic Circus" series on TV.
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
Sylvester the Jester does routines around a Cartoon theme.

Lets see.. one could do a pirate theme. I saw a theme around the Phantom of the Opera a while back. With a pirate theme you could do things with pirate swords or production type items for the stollaway on his ship, etc. One is only limited by your imagination.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
A Historical Military theme might be interesting:

Match the effect to the era and use military props accordingly,

Cups n Balls standing at a Roman Table and using wooden drinking cups,

Guillotine using Napolean era French Uniforms

WWI soldiers doing an escape while in a gas chamber wearing period gas masks

WWII...
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
You magical historians could do a better job of deciding what effect went with which era better, but you got the idea
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Do you really consider Sylvester an Illusion Act .. I think not.

Steve
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
"Lets see.. one could do a pirate theme"
It isint an illusion act but my friend mike does a pirate theamed show/
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
John Bundy does a pirate theme show I believe.

The "ShaZzam!" show had several themed segments; Kithchen, Space, Jewels, Inca,Toyland - each segment with specific illusions, many unique and original as created by John Daniel (Former owner of Owen magic, and a very well known West Coast illusionist)

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Yes Blair, we do a Pirate theme illusion show.
We have done (still do) circus, superheros, Magic time machine, Christmas, Ragtime, wizard, medieval, and cartoon to name a few.
"Spooktacular" is our flagship Halloween show but we house over 7 different shows just themed for the Halloween season.

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Ah .. Mistress Morgen .. do you have a Polka themed act?? Then you would really have something.

Steve
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I always thought a 50's themed diner would have a lot of possibilities for a "themed show"...

-A juke box illusion (Kube-Zag, Thing That Go Bump, etc.)
-Tim Ellis's "Runaround Sue" Cups and Balls routine
-Costume changes
-do a levitation off the soda fountian (or the "bar" area)... use a hoola-hoop for the passing a ring over the girl, etc.

Just a few ideas!

-Bryan
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Steve,
Why, do you need one?
Hummm.............let's see:
The Barricaded Barrels done to the "Beer Barrel Polka" ending, of course, with tapping one of the barrels and filling a stein. The beer leads us to Beer Thru a Lady....and.....I got nothing LOL
Sure you don't want a Beer theme show? Smile

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Hey Bryan,

One of the larger magic shows in Vegas (?) sold off a complete 50's segment.

It was listed (with photos) in an old issue of Magic (or perhaps Genii).

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
There is always the water filled sub trunk, except that it would be beer. The problem would be that whoever went in the trunk might not want to come out.

The water levitation using beer instead would have issues because the audience would come up for a drink and see the workings of it. Also, you would end up with a drunk assistant.

On a more polka theme, do a compressed illusion that looks like an accordian.
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Bryan.. The closet I know to a "50s" themed Show.... Is James Dammares Show. His style is very 50's Smooth Frank Sinatra thing.
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

The show I was referring to above had a full soda fountain counter set for sale, and a 50's booth with a magic Jukebox also.

Blair Marshall
"Shazzam!"
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Two words -- Home Improvement.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
OK, chmara, I can just see it:

Assistant is in the sawing box. It is made of unpainted wood. A regular hand saw is presented, the magician shakes his head. He askes the audience, "What does this illusion need?" The audience yells out "MORE POWER!!" He drops the saw and pulls out a chain saw, starting it up. The assistant screams. Sawdust flies as he cuts through the box and the assitant. The halves are divided withouth blades being put to cover the ends, but they are angled away from the audience. The magician takes a nail gun and "taks" particle board over the severed ends. Since there are no openings on the sides of the box for her arms to see her legs, he takes out a small saber saw and cuts holes in the sides. The boxes are tipped up to the cut ends are on the tables with the head and feet in the air. Then he steps back, admires his work, and wheels the halves off-stage.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Home Improvement?

Perhaps Harbin's Little By Little as kitchen cabinets, stack of (cardboard) boxes production of homemaker, Stove production, dancing broom.

Cool!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
How about "THE EGG" escape from Rudy Colby's second special?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Show Themes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL