The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Help needed Please!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Hello everyone.

I am a Party Stroller. However, I only charge 15 dollars and hour for my show. I do all the Gimicks you've heard of and some of my own invention.

The thing is, 15 dollars isn't much, And I would like to get more into Street magic in the down-town area. What im looking for is some good reputation makers that are in-expensive to purchase and of average difficulty to learn and un-beilavable to see.

Currently I know 20th centruy silks and I do a decent chop cup and cups and balls. Along with some TT and card tricks. I'm just looking for some-thing to advance my skills as a mage that will possibly carry over reptation to my party strolling so i could "up" my fees. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dustin
"The ability to amaze those who don't care is better than the ability to amaze those who do."
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Street,

Your question is sure to drag up some opinions, as well as several people pointing out that if you worked your way through this forum you would find the answers you seek.

But for what my opinion's worth, my suggestions would be: things like the cups and balls, Chinese linking rings, a rope trick, a silk trick and something like the Miser's dream, not necessarily in that order.

These tricks include plenty of natural sight and sound, and somethings pretty and fluid. That's my theory, that's what I'm working on for the coming season, and now all I need is some time to script it and some decent weather.

Hope this helps. See you on the streets.

Joe in KC
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Check out the Pro PK kit or M5 from wwwellusionist.com

If you want reputation, this is it!

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-01-29 23:30, ChristianGrisier wrote:
Check out the Pro PK kit or M5 from wwwellusionist.com

If you want reputation, this is it!

-Christian

This is probably not the reputation he is looking for.

On the streets it is not so much the tricks but the presentation.
You want effects that pack small but play big and are flashy and hopefully include members from ones audience.
You already have 20th century silks (which have a reset problem ) and cups and balls (you'll need a street set)
As mentioned rope tricks and linking rings are also great investments.
Get the Cellini DVD and study it well.
And remember above all it's personality and presentation that makes a grat street performer.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I'd like to second opnion linking rings...they are good all around...i honestly think its a good effect no matter what your doing...kids, adults, street etc...Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
Now Seattle. Before? Who knows.
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
The best think can do, if you want to perform on the streets is to go to the next fair or any place where ever you can find some street performers. That is not just magicians, but any of them. Juglers,singers,clowns,etc... and watch them how they work the crowd.
Becouse it doesn't matter that much if you have a killer effect, what matter is, can you get their attention and keep them watching what you are doing .
Vaclav Smile
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
Quote: This is probably not the reputation he is looking for.

Depends on what 'type' of Magician that he wants to be surely?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
some good rope stuff will always do. I like jumbo coin stuff for a crowd and sponge balls are always a winner.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Nitram is right, I am looking for a reputation that will possibly get me inside the restauraunt i am performing in front of Hehehehehe
"The ability to amaze those who don't care is better than the ability to amaze those who do."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Just wondering Streetwalker...

You say you currently charge $15 and that isn't much...

Why do you only charge $15 an hour? And if you already have clients who pay that - and think you are worth it, they should be reasonably ameniable to giving what you ask (more money) - if they think you are worth it.

And on the other hand, what keeps you from going to the next place and saying "Hi, I am a strolling magician with this (show your skills and talk about your previosu history of performing, show references...etc.)experience,and am available to amaze for only $5, $40, $50 an hour."

In other words what is keeping you from interviewing elsewhere and getting better paying gigs?

Just wondering...

Also classic street performing ala Cellini, Gazzo, Sonny Holiday, etc, doesn't translate well to walkaround closeup. Not that these guys could do strolling, but th ematerial and aproach is different. And they would do it differently. They have chosen to do Street magic .

For disucssion that are more relevant to strolling, try looking at the table hoppers and party strollers. It is a different game.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
how old are you?....

koz
kasperzghost
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of kasperzghost
Ok all u guys are telling him to go buy this and go buy that my adivece buy what u need and adapt it!!!, i have been doing magic in pubs and clubs for years and i did all for free and i never hung around one club when i had done magic for a few people!! u keep doin this and the people ask the bar staff and managment where the magician i!! trust me after a few visits the manager will approch u and ask u to work exlusivly in his club and then the price u want is the price u get but magic isn't about buying the lates gimmik its about making your own and pathing the way

kasper
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Help needed Please!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL