The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mismade Lady (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WisMel
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of WisMel
Is it worth buying this classic. Klamm magic sells one for $2000 I believe. Is it a Sommers model? Thoughts on who builds the nicest or best version??
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Klamm sells the Jim Sommers version.

I owned one of Jim's Mismades several years ago, and each box is designed to break completely down so that it all can travel inside of one fiberboard case. Vey portable that way, great for the weekend warrior. It did the job and looked fine onstage.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Owens does a nice job, but any of the major builders would do a good job.

I believe J. Gaughan has made a few also.

Blair Marshall
"Shazzam!"
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
This was a favorite of mine when I was a kid but only the best-built ones will do...get a sloppy one and all the heat goes exactly where it shouldn't. In the words of Gary Darwin: "You couldn't get booked into the men's room in Las Vegas with this illusion."
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
The good old Mis-Made Lady .. this is actually my mothers favorite illusion. The audience really likes this one too .. but it's got to be built right. The depth in the box and the extra "parts" involved must be some-what believable.

You also need to consider where you'll be performing this one. This is a stage illusion, it doesn't play well in the living room.

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
John Bundy Has a movie of it on his website:
http://www.wackydracky.com/wackydracky_web_site_a_035.htm

It really looks good. It doesn't seem to be a "one-man" operation, although John has said he has done it that way.
Dennis Michael
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
All of John's videos are nice, but the Mismade Girl video shows why the lighting needs to be right to prevent the audience from seeing the "important stuff".
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 01:21, Chezaday wrote:
The good old Mis-Made Lady .. this is actually my mothers favorite illusion....

Same here, it is also my mom's favorite illusion. I performed this years ago at the Playboy Club for 6 months way back 1986 in my city when it was still there. What my mom hates most is my Monster Guillotine, she says that one day I might really chop off someone's head.

The base must be wide and beveled. I used the Osborne plans but modified the base. I am considering building a new one again in the future. It is possible to perform this surrounded and up close as long as your body parts are realistic and you just expose it for a few seconds.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I have a Mis-made Girl illusion myself. Interestingly, I got it from John Bundy. I believe it may have been like one of his spares.

John Bundy and Morgan do an amazing version of it, as shown in the video that Dennis posted. Their style and presentation really sell it, I always enjoy seeing anything those two do.

As far as my Mis-made...

It was more or less ready to go when I got it, but I decided to paint it and change some things. I have never performed it yet but I will soon, we have rehearsed it a few times lately.

I have always found it to be a great illusion, and I always wanted one. Just a warning, it does take a good deal of storage space but I feel it’s worth every bit of that myself. I keep ours set up and ready to go in our rehearsal studio.

It’s a time-honored classic of illusion. I won't say what I paid for mine (THANKS JOHN & MORGAN for helping out a starving artist!) But I would have been happy with it even if I had paid the price a previous poster mentioned (2,000$)

I'd say worth every penny, it’s a beautiful illusion...

Steven
erased_over_out
View Profile
New user
Miami / Stuttgart
4 Posts

Profile of erased_over_out
Can anyone tell me more about the "crazy lady" from Andre Kole? It's kind of like a Mismade Lady. I like it and am thinking about putting one in my show.

You can see it here on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9AciGcPRk
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Wilcox put out several illusions, some picked up by Henning, many years ago. Not sure if Andre's "crazy lady" is based on one of them, or is one of them (with a different look).

One Wilcox illusion was called "Mad Hat'ter" with three large hats being used in the same manner of Kole's boxes. (Head, hand, foot) I have seen this live and I believe he has added an "additional" touch to it, if memory serves me right.

Would be interested in hearing, which came first. I know Andre is a great inventor, but he has, at times, used other material in his shows.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Before you get your saw out you might think twice about the Crazy Lady. You’ll have to deal with an Angry Andre. He gets a bit protective when it comes to his creations. Very few if any have been released for other performers.

The Crazy Lady patter is the same for just about all his illusions. Same patter for the Zig Zag. "Wiggle your toes, wiggle your nose... She's my Crazy Lady."

Steve
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Hey Steve,

Do you remember the Wilcox series of illusions/plans?? They were advertised in Genii with photos of the finished products.

BM
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi,
Isn't the original illusion from Chuck Jones? I think he is the originator of the illusion.

Thanks
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Yeah, Chuck Jones is the originator of the illusion. Orson Wells had a variation on the finish where he just rearranged the numbers on the boxes to restore the assistant.

Matt
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Seems like one of the Paul Osborne books includes a variation on his Mismade Girl that would allow you to do the number rearrangement restoration.
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
The Mismade Girl is in Black Book, if I am right. Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
He Mismade Girl modification is on page 59 of Book Two. I don't think the Mismade Girl is in the Black Book. He does publish a set of plans for it, however.
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
Amosmc... Yeah you're right. I've changed the Mismade girl with Shes Come Undone. I don't know how. Smile
Sorry Smile
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What is the best Mis-made Lady illusion when it comes to the blades?

Mine used 6 blades, 2 of which were G***ed.

I've seen others with 5, another with 4, and one with only 3 blades. Also, some blades were either g***ed, but some were not.

Indeed, the less blades, the faster the cut and separation of the boxes. But the angles are more difficult to cover, right?

How many blades do you use?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mismade Lady (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL