The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Using Music In A Mentalism Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I want to start using music in my act to enhance the whole show experience. I have a lot of questions like;

What equipment do I use?
What types of music is good?
Do I fade in and out, etc.

Basically, if you haven't figured it out by the dumb questions above, I have no idea about music or audio in shows. Any info is helpful.

Thanks!
Josh London
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11874 Posts

Profile of John C
There is a music forum. Check it out. Lots of knowledgable people there. I think it's called F/X.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Neil Tobin has a fun and interesting system.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2890 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have the theme to The Exorcist playing softly in the background. Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2890 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Why is it that if someone just happens to have the same idea as someone else they are accused of stealing? Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Cuz it makes sense?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mrfluffy
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of mrfluffy
When I perform my syage act, I have various instrumental songs playing in the background. They vary from Massive Attack to the end credits to Donnie Darko.

I feel it just breaks up the periods of silence and adds sone "theatre" to what I do.

Am I lucky though, to be performing as part of a group and have a PA system and someone to operate it
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
That would be nice to have someone operate the music. I've posted this thread on the fx forum with no response. What is the best thing to use for controlling the music by yourself?

Josh London
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Hi Josh,
The system you are loking for is called the ICue2 and can be used to play and cue specific tracks from MP3 files using an iPod...

Check out this site http://www.virtualsoundman.com/

V
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Thanks V. That is exactly what I need! It is a little much though. Have you had any problems with it?

Josh London
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11959 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I use a SoundTech PA/CD player sometimes (150 watts). However, lately when I discover there is a dee jay there, I either bring a CD (mixed) or skip the music all together. Since I am dealing with so much audience participation, I found out it really isn't necessary for the majority of my routines.
aawb122pm
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of aawb122pm
Look at this for an interesting concept which also peoduces music and would fit into a very interesting show !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPG-LYoW27E&NR
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24099 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sound Tech has different models you can use. http://www.wirelesswizardry.com/comparison.htm You can control the sound by the gimmick on your ankles. It makes better showmanship showing nothing in your hands. A friend complains about the ankle method. That is why he has it on his wrist underneath his sleeve.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Thanks for all the help. After looking at all the different things it sounds that Virtual Soundman might be the best bet. Thanks again for all the help!

Josh London
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2987 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I use a laptop-and-RF remote system (which I found out about through the FX area of the Café). For more info, go here:
http://members.tripod.com/remotelaptop/index.html

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Check out the sound tracks from "interview with a vampire" there are some awesome tracks.
Regards Mark
E.O.I
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1901 Posts

Profile of chmara
Music (sound) , smell andf tactile are three senses often forgotten in mentalism.

If music is used as punctuation to an effect or series -- what would it be? Why not special lead in music for the whole show (modern synth stuff -- not new age though.)

Now expand to the sound of thoughts crackling through the air as you "concentrate."

Think of this too -- a low frequency rumble can induce fear.

But too - it is one more element to haul, time and synchronize and if you are a one man show ????
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Using Music In A Mentalism Act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL