The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Andrew Mayne's bowling production Vs Kevin James's Bowl-A-Rama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Could anyone compare Andrew Maynes's bowling production on his video Shock F/X with Kevin James's Bowl-a-rama?

Which one is better?
Does Andrew's version need special body load?

Hengky
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
The Mayne version doesn't need a body load...but, to compare it's difficult, both effects have some great points and flaws.

I think it's more of a manner of your budget.

As for my opinion, the Mayne version is very good. I mean very good for the price. Wow!

When you present it correctly, it's a killer.

Humbly

Kuffs
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
What is the effect with Andrew Mayne's bowling ball production? Every description of the video just says, "produce a bowling ball in an amazing way" or something along those indescriptive lines.

Brian
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
The effect from a spectator point of view is, that you produce the ball, from an "empty" grocery store paper bag.

Check out the demo at this link:

http://www.weirdthings.com/newvideo.html

enjoy...

Kuffs
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
Thanks.

I just checked it out... I don't know if I'd put it anywhere near the category of bowl-a-rama. Kevin James' routine is great...

Brian
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I think like someone already mentioned that they both have their ups and downs.
When it comes to how much you're willing to spend, the Mayne bowling ball production wins by a landslide in how little you have to spend to get the same great response you can get with either one with a great presentation.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Could anyone compare Andrew Maynes's
>bowling production on his video Shock F/X
>with Kevin James's Bowl-a-rama?

Technically, Bowl-a-rama is a transformation of a drawing on a sketchpad into a real bowling ball. Mayne's is a production from a grocery bag that is handled and suggests that it is empty.

Kevin's is more structured and has deceptive elements built-in to keep people from figuring out where it came from. This is a stage effect where you can walk out carrying the sketchpad, and nobody knows what's going on until it happens.

Andrew's is more 'impromptu' because it's not as structured, although obviously setup and thought is required, but as in his video, I think the bag should be already on stage when you perform, and there's less 'proving' before and after. It's more of a subconscious force that the audience believes it to be empty.

Both are excellent in the right circumstance.

Brian
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I use the bowling bag version by mayne...its great. For those who think its difficult get a 5 pounder or shape up. Both are very good. I'd say they are about the same.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Mayne's version is SOOOOOOOO simple to perform. I'm actually using this as an opener for a show on the 20th. If you have a ball and a paper grocery bag, you are set. Great effect.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Bowlorama is clearly a much superior stage illusion. The handling that I saw on Andrew Mayne's website looks okay but certainly not the high impact of Bowlorama. It does cost way more but the effect is simply that much better.
Magixspinx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Magixspinx
Quote:
On 2003-01-11 02:10, kuffs wrote:
The Mayne version doesn't need a body load...but, to compare it's difficult, both effects have some great points and flaws.

I think it's more of a manner of your budget.

As for my opinion, the Mayne version is very good. I mean very good for the price. Wow!

When you present it correctly, it's a killer.

Humbly

Kuffs

KJ version doesn't use a body load..
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I have modified Mayne's version to use a folded paper bag & no body loads, but Andrew get's all the credit for the initial inspiration.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
The difference between the 2 is about $730 bucks..
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
You mean $730 minus the cost for the bowling ball. I agree that Mayne's is a much cheaper way to go but since were just talking I've taken away the money aspect and am just looking at the effect itself...comes down to personal preference but I'm with Shawn Farquhar/Murray Hatfield who both tell us that (on one of the bowlorama threads) that the money is some of the best they've spent...I strongly agree.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Who buys Bowling Balls?...Arn't they FREE at the bowling alley?............

( just kidding of course!!!!!!)
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
I built my own. If you know how the suitcase version works, it's easy to do it with a giant skecth pad. It doesn't have to be a bowing ball. I'm working on a fish bowl production. I also built a mini version for my family show with an 8 ball, it kills. I did it right under my roomate's nose - it fried him. So there are all sorts of things you can do if you put your brain to work.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Andrew Mayne's Bowling Ball production is so much more than just a bowling ball production, it is a great all around utilty principle. I use it to fill up a basket with apples at the climax of my applecadabra routine. Also, check out Andrew's book Mayhem... where he uses the principle to transform some coffee beans into a cup of coffee.
By the way, you can also produce a bowling ball with it... quite startling.
magicswan
View Profile
Loyal user
springfield,ma
253 Posts

Profile of magicswan
Yeah, he also does a production of a t.v. from a briefcase, kinda cool. It's an old clown gag, that's how it all started. It's in a book by David Ginn, Clown Magic. Easy construction. As I said, if you know the "real" work it's easy to make your own and you save a lot of money.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
The July issue of the Linking Ring 2004 (have yet to see it) will contain a New Zealand Parade. In it I have explained a routine using Andrew Maynes bowling ball production or an appearing 'pole' product. It is much more than just a production and you'll get a good five minutes out of act.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you get Andrew Mayne's book, the bowling ball from briefcase is in there.

To me, it looked like it was the same as Howard Flint's bowling ball production, which I saw him do at a convention in Houston in 1981 or 1982. This, in turn, goes back to Robert-Houdin's "Inexhaustible Portfolio." Kevin's is different.

Both are somewhat angly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Andrew Mayne's bowling production Vs Kevin James's Bowl-A-Rama (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL