The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » It's In Tarbell » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Hey, Denny -
We've had some great conversations at your shop about this very subject, and truer words were never spoken. Most sayings you hear people use either come from Shakespeare or the Bible. Most magic effects and routines can be found in some fashion in Tarbell. I know you've written about this in your email newsletters and emails, but I thought if some of the people on the Café haven't read or heard yet what you have to say about it, they'd really benefit from hearing your thoughts.

Thanks, Charley

Me talking to other Café members: Since I discovered Denny's studio around 5 years ago, he's helped me so much in my growth as a magician. His thoughts and advice and suggestions for props, effects, showmanship and especially the things I buy 98% of the time, Books, have changed the whole way I look at and do magic even after 30 years of considering myself a magician. Through him I discovered books like David Bamberg's "Illusion Show", "Milo & Roger" and other magicians' biographies that have more lessons and ideas than many of the books of pure routines. They are like having a post-graduate education in magic, history and all, with the added benefit of having the invaluable opportunity to learn personally from someone who has walked the floorboards around the world and sincerely has the best interests of his customers - and students, if I may - in mind. It's at least an hour's drive from Gaithersburg to Essex, but I consider it a highlight of the day when I go.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Charley,

One of the things that impressed me from the start about Denny & Lee's Studio is the emphasis on Magic Literature.

I'm especially impressed by the kids that come into Denny's, and the way he helps guide them to the "real stuff", rather than selling them the latest trick from YouTube.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I finally had the pleasure to visit Denny in his shop last summer. I happened to be with my Mom, who got to see an up close egg bag routine. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I just happened to be in Baltimore. I had done business with the shop in Vegas once, and by mail order. I just wanted to meet Denny. After some time talking about my show and what I do, I mentioned some routines I'd like to pursue, and without hesitation, I was pointed to just the right two volumes of Tarbell. Although somewhat embarassed to admit I was in magic this long and still didn't have Tarbell, I was happy to leave with those volumes that day.
Denny Haney
View Profile
1945 - 2019
48 Posts

Profile of Denny Haney
I guess this would be a good opportunity to send out a copy of one of my recent newsletters on the Tarbell Course in Magic:

Tarbell Course in Magic

A NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION FOR ALL MAGICIANS:
"Before I buy another book or another trick, I will complete my Tarbell Course in Magic!!"

1-Did you know that over half of all questions asked of me are answered the same way.."It's in Tarbell!!"?

2-Did you know that over half Of the entire Lance Burton stage show is in Tarbell?

3-Did you know that many "magic websites" are selling you tricks or "one trick DVD's" that are taken right out of Tarbell?

4-Did you know that if you do not own (and read) the Tarbell Course in Magic, that you will spend most of your life in magic depending on others to answer your questions?

5-Did you know that many magicians have already spent thousands of dollars on "new effects" because they didn't know that they were already in Tarbell?

6-Did you know that the knowledge from Tarbell would enable you to sit down with almost ANY famous magician and talk magic on the same level??

6-Did you know?.. You WILL know if you read Tarbell!!!!
==================================

HERE'S A STATEMENT FROM HARLAN TARBELL, THE GREATEST TEACHER IN ALL OF MAGIC:

"I know that you have been anxious to make rapid progress toward your goal of becoming a master magician…
Remember that my chief purpose in this course is to teach Magic…to teach you its fundamental principles. Do not, then, make your chief purpose in learning the course to be the learning of effects. If you do this, you lose the value of the course. You will never become a Master if you overlook the principles."
HARLAN TARBELL
=====================================

SO WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT???????

The Tarbell Course in Magic will be your "core" from which you learn. You will be exposed to ALL kinds of magic and you will find yourself enjoying certain things that you never thought you would be interested in. I honestly believe that you should buy no other books until you have completed this course. There will be no need to wait for the next TV special or DVD to be released to decide what you want to learn. The Tarbell Course in Magic is extensive and yet is one of the least expensive investments in your art that you will ever make. Buy these volumes one at a time and you'll find that you won't even miss the money you've spent. One day you will realize that you now have the complete course at your fingertips and it didn't really affect you financially. I have put a brief description of each volume on this list. Just look at the subjects covered and I think you will agree that these are fine books to invest in. Whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced student of magic, these books will be so rewarding to you. For those who already own the set, go back to them. It has probably been many years since you've read them. Read them again and see the "new stuff" that jumps off of these pages. If you already own "some" of these volumes, make it a point to complete your set now. If you don't have any of these volumes, you can start with Volume 1 or 2 and then start to collect them all. Each volume is extensive. Don't let that scare you. Although you will refer to these books so often that you will eventually read them cover to cover, it is NOT necessary that you read them that way from the beginning. Jump around in these books, pick out some things you like, just look at what is available in the world of magic.
I honestly feel that you should go nowhere else until you first get these books. TRUST ME!!!!!
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
462 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
That was an excellent post Denny!

I'd acquired my set of Tarbell books while still a little kid fogging up the display glass at Tannen's magic.

I must confess, that once treasured set of books, are collecting dust in storage while I'm looking elsewhere for material. (In fact, I'd just made a purchase from Denny & Lee Smile) I better unpack those books and finish reading.

Thanks for nice, gracious "kick in the pants" Denny Smile!

BTW...It was very nice to meet you at last years's MAES in New Jersey!

Bosco
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'm almost ashamed to admit this but I didn't own the Tarbell set until about 5 years ago and I've been doing magic for 40 years. My wife called Denny for some advice on what to get me for Christmas that year and of course he recommended Tarbell. Funny thing was Denny asked how old the young man was and my wife had to say I was 55. Guess I could consider myself going through my second childhood.

Anyway, thanks for that suggestion, Denny. I can't believe I went so long without them.
Where the magic begins
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Thanks, Denny!
David Bond
View Profile
Regular user
Maple Valley, WA
107 Posts

Profile of David Bond
I find it amusing to visit a newsgroup or forum and observe the posters discussing whether some trick on the latest magic special used stooges or not. Typically the trick in question is a variation of something from Tarbell and of course no stooges were necessary. When I was a kid my family used to vacation in Seattle and each year I would drag my dad down to Sid Brockman's so I could purchase the next volume of Tarbell.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
(owning a tarbell book or all of them is a necessity in any magician's collection).

I just learned a funny about Tarbell's Volume 6 book.
He spelled my dad's name wrong. So I have to ask, did
any of the newer printed edition ever corrected that?
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
I'm feeling very high and mighty as I read through this thread. Why? Because I, just like every other young magician my age (18), have always desired to be the best magician that ever lived.

The thing about this is that just about every young magician my age will (or already has) repeatedly stuck their nose up at books such as Tarbell, Expert at the Card Table, and Stars of Magic.

Now, unlike these people with big egos and poor sense of direction, I took the words of advice of nearly every magic elder here on the Café, and those that I have met in real-world situations. I bought all 8 of the Tarbell books, the Stars of Magic book, and The Expert at the Card Table all within a year of each other. After hearing rants by people like Denny that the young kids only want stunts and toys from Ellusionist, when they should be reading the works of Vernon and Tarbell and Marlo and Elmsley, I feel good knowing that I took those first few financially demanding steps.

Whenever I get asked by someone who is in their first few years of magic (I'm only in my 4th) if I have the hottest new trick out from Ellusionist, I simply tell them "I might...". When they ask what I mean, I send them a link to Denny's shop and tell them to stop wasting their money on David Blaine this and Chris Angel that, and to put down a small $180 to make an investment on something that they will use nearly every day of their lives, for as long as they remain loyal to their art.

I pride myself in having taken the advice of someone so wise (except for being such a heavy smoker, hint hint) and so talented, and putting my heart and soul into sharing in such a wonderful tradition among magicians.
Thanks for everything Denny, and keep up the good work (and quit smoking, hint hint)...
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I received Volume 4 when I went to Tannen's Magic Camp almost 30 years ago. For the next twenty five or so years, I looked at it and the most interesting part was Randi's and George Schindler's autographs in it I got at the camp. But I kept shaking my head and saying, "This is babyish. "Course In Magic". I don't need this, it's for beginners."

Denny was the person who motivated me to respect the Course and complete it along with Burton's "Tarbell Companion" and "Tarbell Study Guide". It is now the most treasured set of books in my magic collection. And several of the routines, such as the P&L Vanishing Wand, have become a solid part of my program because of re-discovering them in Tarbell.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Speaking of the companion and study guide, if anyone wants to sell theirs, I'm interested in getting them second hand...
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » It's In Tarbell » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL