The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with manipulating cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Quebecer
View Profile
New user
Quebec
17 Posts

Profile of Quebecer
Hi ! I m kind of new in magic (well, I did some when I was younger but not really seriously). I m trying to do some basic card manipulation. And I got some difficulties. For example, with the thumb fan, I keep getting a gap at the almost extreme right of the fan. Is my pressure wrong ? what would you suggest me ? (except practicing, I know that).

I got some other stuff, like for make a "snap appearance", I bend my cards to much and break them, etc. But I will make other posts on that sort of things.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Howdy Quebecer

If you go to the forum heading: "pick a card--any card" > the workers

The card prestidigitator's can answer your questions there, that is the forum for experts in the questions you have.

And welcome to the café, good luck with your flourishes.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
If you haven't already got Jeff McBride's 'Art of Card Manipulation' volumes I can highly recommend them. Also Lewis Ganson's books are great if you prefer books to dvds,

Diane
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sounds like you need live support. I advise you to go to a magic shop in your area and ask for someone who is professional in that area. Another idea is to join a local magic club.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Fanning looks easy, but requires a lot of practice. You need to play around with your hand positions, the pressure, the hand movements against each other and so on. Then comes the part where you need to train your muscle memory - doing the same move hundreds of times . . . a day, until you get the knack. Okay, it is not THAT bad, but that is the basic idea.

This actually holds also for most complex sleight of hands.

Hope this helps
Andy
Cards never lie
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I have to agree with Dynamike. You may be doing something wrong even if you are reading the right material and watching the right DVD's. Find a magician and say that you have been practising, show him what yu can do (regarding the fan) and then tell him where your probelm lies and ask for help. I cannot think of any magician that would not help you.
dodgechargerrt30
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
158 Posts

Profile of dodgechargerrt30
I think you need McBrides dvd's they are amazing and he is a wonderful teacher but if your on a budget get volumes one and 3 because vol 2 is for split fanning (really difficult)

I hope this helps

I got the dvds and within a week I could fan, and do his closeup act at the end and back palm (one card) and do the ken Brooke production, snap production and a few other small things

that's just how good he explains his stuff

thanks

DC
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with manipulating cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL