The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dark Mind Game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Warning some may find this clip upsetting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpF8cHvmOE
It is not intended for children.
You may have to turn your speakers up a bit to hear the cool stereo bits.

It's a new piece of interactive video I have posted to YouTube.

It is a rather dark mind game that the viewers may play along with against the Devil.

I put it together for a short film contest that Steven Spielberg and Fox is having.
The prize it a 1 million dollar development deal.
(My thought is it will be good advertising just to have my work on their site for the show).

For those who want to know it was shot with only one camera all camera movements were done digitally in post production using a 29 dollar editing program on my laptop.

I scored it using a laptop the opening piece I played the guitar part on.

Some of you might recognize the effect with cards used in the middle of the clip.
This will only be up for a few days because I will be sending it off to Fox Tuesday.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Best Wishes,

Jim

PS. Those who have my DVD will recognise the beginning.
I re-edited it to be used for this project.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Hi Jack,

Tried to PM you this but your inbox was full.

I enjoyed the film very much. Thank you for posting and I wish you the very best of luck in the contest.

Just one small detail before you send your entry into the competition. If you have a quick look, you will find that "experienced" is spelt incorrectly at the end of the film.

Thanks again for sharing.

Marcus
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
He should also look at spelling friends and remembered right.

I didn't like it. It didn't hold my interest, I watched it to the end out of politeness. Good luck with it though.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Thanks for the spelling help guys much appreciated.

I posted it to get a bit of feedback so that I might have time to fix things and re-edit.
If need be.

I may pull a bit more out so that it moves quicker.

Thanks again,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
As well as "remembered"and "friends" but I think Jack would be comfortable. Jim, you'll have to decide when you submit.

Wonderful premise and film. Thank you, Jim.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I really enjoyed the camera shots, looks very professional. But I think maybe you should make it a bit shorter, as it gets a bit slow at times..

BTW, looks like Jack is even crazier than I thought..
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I think that there is too much dialogue. You need to have some tension moments using silence. I would suggest from the moment you get up and walk down the stairs until the scene by the table should be silent, just for starters. With the background music only, not completely silent of course.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Also, I didn't really like the scream at the end, it reminded me of those silly videos you can see on Youtube where everything is silent and then a scary sound comes right from nowhere. It just annoys everyone watching it. I think you should either remove the scream or make it less surprising..
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
That was another point too, I thought it was out of character with the rest of the film. Get editing!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I am Salsa and thanks I needed a new bit of perspective.

Have already pulled some dialog and now have a moment of silence from the middle of the way down the steps until the scene fades in and the cards are being dealt. (About 16 seconds).

I do like the end bit because of the explanation directly following it.
Kind of goes together I think.

I forgot to mention that this is an interactive experimental documentary film.
Figured no one else would be entering such a thing.
(But I imagine some of you already figured that out).

Thanks again guys for the new perspectives and assistance.

Jim
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Good work Jack...much good luck and continued success,

all the best,
John Smetana
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was thinking of the four of hearts. You were correct on the geometric shapes. Excellent editing.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I had a tad trouble seeing the actual cards...when you revealed your hand (of cards) I thought the card I had chosen was still there. Perhaps a tighter shot on the cards when they are laid out on the table.

J
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Good luck with it Jim.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1778 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Jack, I enjoyed it even having a pretty good ideal of where you were going, I think a public & lay audience would really enjoy it. I would fine tune the quite moments of tension & correct the spelling before submitting it though. Good Luck
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
Hi,

Thought that was REALLY good. At the very least it was nice to see a more original premise for the princes card trick.

Thumbs up!

Simon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24100 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My bad. I thought he meant think of any card, not the ones on the table.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I miss Jack...
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I think Jim's mission is to try and win a million bucks from every person that is offering it..
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
So that is why J ack is dead and back. Cool.

Like the video: black and white is the way to go for the mood - no colour is excellent. Captures the whole dark noir aspects. Psych forces and the ghost card is good - except I swear somehow I saw the same card I picked... I escaped the Devil Smile. The whole concept of interactive format with the audience is also a good bonus - i.e. Dora the Explora etc. have proven this for kids - adults it needs to be sophisticated.

Things to think about changing: besides the spelling - the pace - because its video, you'll need to be thinking Simpsons level hits i.e. things jolting the person a few times every minute. Also, the character needs to be identified with by the audience to help hook them in - consider maybe a decline into madness as opposed to being freaked from the very beginning? Why the game? Some emotional hook to things - even Ghostrider (which will soon be butchered by Nick Cage) had a good premise that way. Also, the scream might not be needed at the end. Since you are going for subtlety - how about a pan to a doorway..the framespaces slowly begin to glow as smoke comes from under the door... pan back to you as the creak of the door is heard... a shadow falls upon you... and you start to huddle in fear... pan up to darkness....

Well, you asked. I actually consult to a bunch of film and TV productions - so PM me if you want any other suggestions.

Good luck!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dark Mind Game (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL