The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » When do you get into your costume? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We constantly talk about the props at a show but seldom talk about costume storage and transport.

Do you change to your costume at the show site? How do you transport and store your costumes?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Execllent question -- I store the costumes on a rack in my office, and dress before leaving for the gig.

CW
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Hey Bob, good question!

If I am doing a small show, I dress before the show. If I am doing a big show, I dress at the show. There are dressing rooms backstage and we do costume changes during the show. I hire 'dressers' to help us change clothes quickly.

If I am doing a small or medium show and am traveling by plane I have one complete show outfit with moccasins in my carry on. I also carry my 'packs small-plays big' emergency magic in my carry-on. I perform in Blackfeet regalia which is pretty hard to replace at Walmart.

I transport my big show clothing in large rubbermaid trunks. Everyone's show clothes are in there. Show clothes stay with me and do not go home with the cast.

I store my big show clothes AFTER they are all washed and completely dry in the rubbermaid trunks inside my Wells Cargo Trailer. My small-medium show clothes are kept in free-standing zippered 'closets' in my sewing room of my upstairs magic studio.

I hope this helps.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Bob, if I am doing festival / fair work I keep my costumes hanging in the van I travel in. However, if I am doing local shows I put on my costume and make up (if I am in clown) at home and drive to the gig. You would be surprised at the number of 18 wheeler drivers that honk and wave at the clown driving down the road, even had a fire engine hit his horn at me (that's LOUD.)

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Wear it under my suit. Change right after I step into the phone booth and remove my glasses. Smile
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Autumn,

This is something we seem to have in common.

Small gigs are usually in street clothes anyway for me.

Theater shows have rolling racks of costumes in zipper bags we use in a period of a two hour show. (I've never had a "dresser". Consequently, I have gone out on stage without being fully zipped, needing a lick with a comb or brush, or dragging a loose shoelace.) For theaters my rule is I never am seen off stage in costume.

For studio work (mostly TV commercials) I have shocked folks a few times when they saw me arrive in street clothes and next they saw me in costume. I think I can change behind a piece of scenery in almost the speed of light! (Now where is that security camera?)

Lucy is actually a better costume packer than me. After twenty years as a model, I think she could put a department store in a shoulder bag and have room for lunch.

Paddy,

I had a friend "Starr" in the midwest that was a professional clown. When it came time to renew her driver's license she called and politely asked if since she drove in her work clothes, could she get her driver's licence photo in her work clothes. The answer was "YES!"

However, when she showed up for the photo in her clown makeup and costume there was a sudden problem. I wonder why?

Photius,

I'm watching you! The Daily Planet is not in Texas! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
leverkus
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of leverkus
You can change your clothes in your car....open a little the door so your feet can come out...no problem with that, unless youre too shy
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 10:49, leverkus wrote:
You can change your clothes in your car....open a little the door so your feet can come out...no problem with that, unless youre too shy

There's no security camera either!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Metone
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Metone
For me it is always best to change at the event. After loading equipment and getting dirty setting up. It also helps me to transform into character.
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
It all depends on the venue. I prefer to change at the venue if possible. My set up takes 20 seconds so I can enter in character if necessary. My costume is Penne Velvet so it can be crushed and stuffed anywhere, however, I usually hang it on a coat hanger.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Metone,

I agree! It helps me get into character too.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I bring my costume with me in a "suit bag". You know the one you would get when you buy a new suit? Than after setting up my show, I change into my costume. I rather it that way --- at the stage I am at..I do not have stage hands or many assistant hat know how to set-up my show.. so I do it all myself...and well that means lugging my cases several flights... and getting my pants dirty (I'm in Canada... wet snow and slush sucks).
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
I wear most of my costume to the show, all but my shoes. I change them just before I get out of the car.

With size 22 clown shows I worry about get stuck on the gas petal... and going for a fast short ride.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Usually change at the venue, the dressing room is pretty much the second nail on the right!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I change at the venue, I do however show up in decent clothes so as not to look shabby. It takes me 1-hour to set up my show and by that time I am usaully sweating and need to wash up. I carry a travel bag with me that contains all of my hygeine items and then I change into costume 15-minutes before showtime.

Rodney

P.S. If it is a birthday party I dress at home except for my shirt and tie I stop and put that on right before I arrive at the venue so my shirt is still crisp and not wrinkled.
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1714 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
When touring (we do over 100 theatre shows a year) or even in cabarets, I always change in to trousers & casual top at Hotel & into shirt, and jacket or vest about 25 minutes before show time.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
The answer depends on certain factors, which include where I'm coming from, what I'm wearing at the show, the type of show, how much work it will be to set up, whether there is a dressing room, and how much time there is between set up and the start of the show. If it is a tux I'll be wearing on a work day, I wear a pair of black pants and a white shirt to work, so there is less to put on at the show. Or, if there is time and good reason to change into a clean set at the show, what I'm wearing serves as a back up in case something tears, gets dirty, etc. For the wizard costume shows, I can wear most anything underneath that does not show, so the costume goes on behind the car at the gig before I enter the home. Changing into costume in front of the audience can spoil the magic of entering the venue in character.

:magicrabbit:
BenHFarrar
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of BenHFarrar
I'll always change before I leave for the gig. I always wear a suit (no matter what the event) and I want my first impression to be as strong as possible. I don't mind wearing my suit anywhere. I just look like a business person and don't stand out. I will usually change to another spare shirt after the show (a more casual one).

I suppose things are different if your a clown! You will always stand out until everyone else starts wearing clown costumes!
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
If I am doing a walk in and do it show, and going right from my house or office to the show, I arrive dressed, walk in and do the show. Often I will change into more casual but still professional garb AFTERWARD, if I am to be around for a bit.

If it is a show with a lot of load in, I set up, then cool down and then change.
Philip Hilton
View Profile
New user
Scarborough UK
35 Posts

Profile of Philip Hilton
For me it depends as to the type of show and what my character is. For example if I'm playing a masked, or period character I will if possible change just before I go on stage, or perform. If it's a school show then I will turn up in costume. I think it's important that children do not think of the magician, but instead of the character and the magic & illusions. After the show I will change if I can before mixing with people. A lot depends on what it is I'm doing.
Cheers Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » When do you get into your costume? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL