The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Higley's 'take' on Baltimore Dime Museum demise... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Having gone through the closing of my own 5,000 sq ft Dime Museum in 1994, I can certainly feel for what Dick is going through right now. Lots of trauma.

If I were to advise anyone (and I do almost daily in my gaff business) on how to avoid this devastating situation when dealing with the public and museum stuff it would be this and take from it what you will…

My own museum had many anomalies and sideshow exhibits but they were all in ONE room of the Museum (True Wonders Old Time Museum, Lake Tahoe 1993-94). The rest of the collection consisted of legit stuff…Actual Presidential antique exhibits, (even furniture from the White House!), a massive collection of fabulous Tin Toys and wind ups, 60 fully restored Pedal Cars, Robby The Robot and Movie Stunt vehicles and props. Celebrity collections of costuming from Sammy Davis Jr, Liberace and Bing Crosby an entire room of rare Toy Trucks, many Old arcade machines still a nickel or a penny. There was a lot to see besides the 9 ft 3 inch mummy of Olaf The Giant and the other bizarre gaffs and critters. Bottom line is…there were few who cared. Would you have paid $3?. Probably, considering the folks who visit this forum. But the general perception was the Museum was a repository for Freaks and the Grotesque. How many times did I hear, “I don’t want to see that stuff…yuk”

But you know those that took the time to listen when I told them what was really in there went in (not many) and wouldn’t you know it, MOST of them wound up hanging around in the big Sideshow room engrossed in the things they professed a desire NOT to see.

If I were to do it again (in a heart beat) I would make sure there was lot to see for everyone, as before but would play down the grotesque…word of mouth would take care of that advertising on the sly. Ripley's has tons of cool stuff but it's a Srunken Head people remember. But understand, it is the cool stuff that gets them IN, not the prospect of a mini head...even though THAT is what they focus on once inside. (generally speaking)

To be successful the Museum has to be inviting for EVERYBODY, not just those who appreciate a good Mummified Giant. That's why my How-To stresses this idea.

Sorry Baltimore. Your great loss. Everybody’s loss when a fine and rare collection is broken up. Gott be a big loss for Dick...I know when mine closed it *** near killed me.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Well everything is up for auction, check out http://www.dimemuseum.net for the info.

google the auctioneer's name and you'll find a listing off all the stuff for sale.

If you can, please, buy something...I'd hate to see any of this stuff end up in some crotchety old mans garage, never to be seen by the public again.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Working against that auction is the HUGE fees involved...both the auctioneer and eBay's fees are off the hook for that type of Live auction. I don't think crotchety old men could afford it for their garage...you'll find out when you become a crotchety old man...I'd love to be around to see that! (but unfortunately I think I'm already circling the drain...)
Higley's Doug's Museum
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Most likely I'll be taking your place in that catagory (crotchety that is).

Doug, you are not dying... you can't, you're a robot.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'll never die. I'm a Robot.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
For those looking for the auction stuff: http://www.opferauction.com/public/index2.php
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Doug, for your sake, I hope Lori dosen't forget to change your batteries.
Blog:
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Solar Powered dude. This is SoCal.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Snob.
Blog:
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Robot. Programed for Sun.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Snob, spelled backward, is BONs. May Doug always hit the nail on the head. Because he has again.

Doug and Jim Magus just put out "Midnight in the Dark Museum", a great piece of work! Many SS folks are terrified to think that an audience member could discover they had even a hint of interest in magic, but so what? This is bizarre at its best! There are chunks of entertainment gold, through the whole thing. It's a fertile breeding ground, for anybody with a festering imagination!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I think I twisted my neck on that one as it whizzed in from left field...
thanks Harley but I can't take any credit for Midnight ITDM...that's Jim's baby cover to cover...he just 'used' me.

good though ain't it.
Higley's Doug's Museum
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Sometimes it is good to be used... Smile
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You're welcome, Doug! Left field is my specialty!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
This auction has been cancelled. Yes, I know the website is up, but it is not going to happen. So, there is no need to bid on anything. It's not going to happen. Pay no attention to this auction. It's been called off. I might go down to Baltimore that day just to check to make sure that it is not going to happen. And it won't, so no need to bid on anything. Nothing to see here, so keep moving. Thanks.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Wow Todd does a really good ObiWan Kenobi impersonation, "These are not the exhibits you're looking for.."
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hmmm, Todd. Maybe I won't see you there! Who are you?

(James is working that night.)

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'm interested in the old Medical pieces Todd...when you go there to make sure it's not being held, bid minimums for me and when you don't win I won't pay you for them.

You know what's funny harley and Todd and others...for many years I joked with showmen that if you presented it properly and with a blind pitch you could show a turd and people would pay to see it. Looks like Dick took it to task.

In memory of the Baltimore Museum and Valantines Day I'll be making Turds (Faux Bio Material) tomorrow and putting them on a leather chord to add to the Dark Museum...you can call them Lincoln's or Clintons or Saddam Hussiens...hell how about Mozart's Final Movement. $10 a turd. What a deal. NOT!
Higley's Doug's Museum
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
Such Lovely Stuff...Too Bad I am driving that day to the next spot... Oh well...
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
356 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Well? Anybody get any of it? Was it a fun auction?

Report please.

Thanks!
DeWayne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Higley's 'take' on Baltimore Dime Museum demise... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL