The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What magic jargon do you dislike? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Patter cake, patter cake,
Magic man,
do me a trick,
as fast as you can!
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The one I have to count to ten on are the tricks that begin "This is an experiment".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
How do you all feel about "This is the first time I've tried this" as a set up for magician in trouble type stuff?

I've heard it about a gazillion times recently.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
First, just to set the historical record straight, the political slogan was "Tippecanoe and Tyler, Too". Tippecanoe was the location of a famous battle between William Henry Harrison and Tecumseh which Tecumseh lost.

My two personal pet peeves are "billet" for the use of a slip of paper and "experiment" when you already have the results rigged well in advance of the "test".

As for the use of the word "trick", while it is somewhat distasteful, at least it's honest. Most adults know there is some kind of "funny business" involved. While some may want to find out what it is, most don't really want to know, as it would spoil the fun.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
My list:

1) Chop
2) Stock
3) Silk
4) Billet
5) Color change
... and the list goes on and on Smile
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
PATTER would be my choice.
Cards never lie
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Oh, I almost forgot:

abracadabra
alchemy
allurement
astrology
augury
bewitchment
black art
conjuring
conjury also: devilry, diabolism, divination, enchantment, exorcism, fascination, foreboding, fortune-telling, hocus-pocus, horoscopy, illusion, incantation, legerdemain, magnetism, necromancy, occultism, power, prediction, presage, prestidigitation, prophecy, rune, soothsaying, sorcery, sortilege, spell, superstition, taboo, thaumaturgy, trickery, voodoo, voodooism, witchcraft, wizardry

I also dislike the word Magic

I do like the word "Trick" now.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I need to get my feke ready to use with my gaffe. First I'll set up my tumbler and I tell you, it's the Real Work. Not a pipe dream. Anyone have a houlette I can borrow?

Ladies and gentlemen, I will now take these perfectly ordinary cards and place them in my houlette. Sir, would you please note the pips? Madame, watch as I place my foulard over the houlette. Walloo-walee, hey-bim-bom-presto!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Interesting note concerning a Mom whose "little darling" was a participant in a youth Magic Club a few years ago: She made it known that she objected to the term SUCKER TRICK... We acknowledged she had a point and corrected the reference (with an explanation of Magician Speak) at our next meeting.

Julie
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
That story makes me dislike the terms "Mom" and "Little Darling".
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
"You, too, are psychic."

When a performer is entertaining, it's OK that they've made us temporarily suspend our disbelief, making us believe that they are, for example, Hamlet or psychic. But after the final curtain goes down, that's when I'm more leery. If the performer tries to convince the audience members that they, too, are really Hamlet or psychic, then methinks that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Pick a card - any card . . .

now sign it . . . there is only one card like this in the world . . .
Cards never lie
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
now sign it . . . there is only one card like this in the world . . .

Cool! I've got to use that one.

(Thus proving that de gustibus non disputandum est) Smile
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Sorry, but I don't know latin very well. My guess would be that it means that the statement is not in dispute. Am I close? Smile

I, too, would have to add the word "patter" to my list. Personally, I prefer the word "story".
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
More along the lines of there is not arguing taste, I think.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Well there is arguing taste, however futile it may be.

I on the other hand will take the high road once again and say everyone but myself is wrong.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Clynim, Jim's right, and Josh is right, too - anything can be argued about. That doesn't, however, mean it's necessarily rational to do so. If my audience has never heard the "only card in the world" line, then it's a good line, in my opinion.

///ark
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Mark, I was simply trying to take a stab at translating "de gustibus non disputandum est". I don't know what the word gustibus translates to in english, but I too "non disputandum est" to literally come out "not disputed is" or "is not disputed".

I can see now where gustibus might be related to gusto or taste and another word for dispute is argument. So Jim's translation of "there is no arguing taste" makes perfect sense.

You are absolutely right about old lines and new audiences. If they've never seen or heard it, the trick is, in a sense, reborn through fresh minds. That's why even the oldest magic tricks still impress today.
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
Abracadabra
Presto
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Clynim, I should have just written "Clynim, Jim's right." That was the only part of that post I was directing to you. Jim's translation is indeed correct, and your attempt at parsing was pretty close, too. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

///ark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What magic jargon do you dislike? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL