The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Philosiphy Behind Menotring Teen Magicians, » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Denny,
Very excited you are here on the Café. I just wanted to see what you had to say about helping young people in magic. Some say it isn't good. Today's teen magicians are getting too dependent on dvd's and mentors. A lot of outsiders see this as being a hendrence on the creative mind. A lot of things I try to do myself. If I have a problem with something only then will I turn to my closest friend in magic. I personally have an issue with having more than one "director." Just want to pick your brain on this subject. Thanks.

Matt McCoy
(By the way I am a teen magician.)
zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
I helped mentor ben proudfoot.. now he's on his way to stardom. haha not from me, but I helped him.. he put in a LOT of effort. I believe hes only been at this for 2 or so years and has made a big mark.
Mike Goeller
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Mike Goeller
I was talking about this post with Denny the other night. The shop has been quite busy, and He likes to put a lot of thought into his answers, so he may not get to this before his time is done.

In talking about it we both agreed there is a difference between a mentor and a teacher.

Denny, from my own personal experience mentors through example, and through steering you in the right direction. I've asked him questions many times and the answer has been read this book or that book. Then I go and read it. Then I come back and discuss my observations. When I'm ready and I ask the right questions then he opens up an shares his opinions, and his thoughts.

This is a lot differnt then someone saying do it this way. This is the best version. Here let me show you my handling and my touches. If someone shares it all with you, he steals a lot of your personal growth. You grow by figuring out how to do something the right way. If someone says do it this way, sometimes your not ready for that way, and that person has stolen the benifit you would have gotten form researching and trying out all of the different options.

In my experience Denny has been the best mentor anyone could ask for, as he lets you have space and time to grow, before he shares his opinion. I personally feel finding a good mentor, someone to steer you in the right direction is vital. I never grew in magic until Denny opened his shop and I walked in. Up till then I knew lots of tricks but wasn't a magician.

This is just my own thoughts on this. Just thought I'd comment, thought it was a good question.

Mike Goeller
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
I know In my lil world .. and helping out with the MYI kids .. in our area .. I challenge them from time to time .. to Take and learn a classic OUT of a Book , it gives them a small but fun homework assignment for the next meeting .. and Special recognition if they follow through with a paragraph hand written .. on what they got from the trick etc , those who complete the Said Assignments . are too me the Go getters ,.. who make me sit up and take notice .. and will in return .. get the extra attention when it comes time to develope a routine
Just my shares on it ?
Keet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Philosiphy Behind Menotring Teen Magicians, » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL