The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Don't like it, Change it...New Magic Word (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Jim Poor started a thread in the New to Magic section that made me think...He mentions that there are words which make you cringe, one of which is his pet peeve, "trick."

Here are my thoughts on it, and since I don't want to corrupt his original post on discussing various other words I chose to start this new post so as to keep his on-topic.

Trick causes me woes on the forum, because I know it is a word that is not very well liked by our community, and when trying to discuss a gaffed object that is used to demonstrate seemingly magical qualities...it seems easier to use the word trick, but I find myself trying to find other ways of saying gaffed object that is used to demonstrate seemingly magical qualities without the word trick as not to lesson the value of what I am trying to say due to the perceptions of many readers with respect to the word "trick."

Long sentence...Take a breath.

And it is not really proper or accurate to substitute the word effect for trick in all cases as an effect is something that is perceived by spectators and not an actual object.

I say we invent a new word, vote on it, and adopt it as the term to be used in referencing a gaffed object that is used to demonstrate seemingly magical qualities.

I nominate Gobum for Gaffed Objects Used in Magic> G. Ob. U. M. Gobum!

Pronounced Gah bum, not Go Bum.

---------------Example of use:-------------
Magi Alpha: "Hey, I saw a new Gobum on the Penguin Magic website, it looks really cool!"

Magi Omega: "You're not tricking me are you?"

Just a thought, hey, if it's our industry, and we don't like the connotations of the word, why not just change it?

------------End of example of use--------------
Watcha Think? If not Gobum then what would you consider using?
What other choices do we think would be an appropriate substitution for the malady that is "trick?"
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
What about GOB (Gaffed Object) - pretty obvious that they are going to be used for magic?

The term GAFF also comes up from time to time.
Cards never lie
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
Some books that I have tend to substitute the word Trick with Mysteries. Like Self-Working Card Mysteries, etc.

Mysteries is 3 syllables though compared to the 1 syllable "Trick". I suppose convenience comes in as well. Likewise, the word gaff is also one syllable, which is so much more economic to the speaker. Perhaps that's why people also refer to them as such?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
A trick by any other name is still a trick.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mustlovemagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of mustlovemagic
Easy there, Habu. You might be putting just a wee bit too much thought into this secret magic stuff.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 01:39, mustlovemagic wrote:
Easy there, Habu. You might be putting just a wee bit too much thought into this secret magic stuff.

Well actually just getting a bit of a laugh here. Thought it would be fun to see what people would come up with for imaginary terms to replace the word trick with, and yes it was partly to see how many people would actually think I was serious. Smile Smile

Personally I have always called magic stuff tricks and probably always will in my own home, but I do go out of my way on the forum as it does stir up some feathers to use the word.

But you have to admit the posts about one tiny five letter word has kicked up some interesting discussions. Smile
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
LOL. I'd like it better if it were pronounced Go Bum. Smile

How about Pokazuha? One of my favorite Russian words.
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Here is a little "brainthump" for you.

I am a magician, can I "Brainf%!k" you?
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I always think of a "trick" as the mechanics of the thing - the props, moves, and sequence of steps required to produce the desired outcome. (This is all that many amateur magicians learn, hence the disparaging nature of the term; nonetheless, it's still useful for describing "what you do".)

Add "presentation" and you get an "effect", an entertaining bit of magic.

String together two or more "effects" in a logical and entertaining manner and you get a "routine".

Put together a few "routines" and you get an "act".

Have a few successful "acts" and you get a "career". Smile

Makes sense to me.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I like the way you put that Airship, or may I just call you Air? And if that's an Air Ship is it hot air or helium? And if it's Hot Air, Can I just call you HOT? Well on second thought, lets just keep it at Air. Smile

By the way, I have to comment on a Gobum supplier. I ordered a Gobum from Midwest magic. I got an email from Tim saying he was in Cancun and would send the Gobum on Monday when he got back. On Monday he called me at home and apologized, telling me that when he got back to the store he found he was out, but they would be in Friday. He asked me if I would like to cancel, or wait for him to ship the Gobum on Friday.

I was very impressed that he not only checked his order status while in Cancun, but gave me a personal phone call for a $28 Gobum order he could have just waited to send. So thanks to Tim at Midwest Magic for his courtesy in dealing with my Gobum!
www.magicbyhabu.com
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 23:00, Habu wrote:

Just a thought, hey, if it's our industry, and we don't like the connotations of the word, why not just change it?

Good idea, I think a new word will settle the arguments over the word 'trick'. I don't think it would make sense to say "Want to see a gobum?". In your example it would make perfect sense. We SHOULD agree on a new word that represents the object and the 'trick'.
'Pick a card, any card'
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
I seem to pronounce the word as gobum as Go-Berm rather than Go-Bum. And it all sounds very fantasy like to me. Maybe I'm just associating gobum with gollum from Tolkien too much.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1986 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 10:30, blink_inc wrote:
Here is a little "brainthump" for you.

I am a magician, can I "Brainf%!k" you?

I would have to say no.... My wife gets jealous.

I think a anonym (Assuming the thing were a person....) for anything magical might be uh.

Did you see the uh I did yesterday? the uh was great, I think I flashed the uh, but the audience was surprisingly dull. When I uh'd the uh, that last uh made all my other uhs seem like uh.

At least we'd spend less time spell checking
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Anyone watch Arrested Development?

"An effect, bro. A trick is what a *** does for money."
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Final countdown plays.....

GOB appears producing card fan after card fan.....

He makes the family yacht disappear in front of a huge crowd....

By sinking it.

Synonyms for Magic: abracadabra*, alchemy, allurement, astrology, augury, bewitchment, black art, conjuring, conjury, devilry, diabolism, divination, enchantment, exorcism, fascination, foreboding, fortune-telling, hocus-pocus, horoscopy, illusion, incantation, legerdemain, magnetism, necromancy, occultism, power, prediction, presage, prestidigitation, prophecy, rune, soothsaying, sorcery, sortilege, spell, superstition, taboo, thaumaturgy, trickery, voodoo, voodooism, witchcraft, wizardry

Synonyms for trick: ambush, artifice, blind, bluff, casuistry, cheat, chicanery, circumvention, con*, concealment, conspiracy, conundrum, cover, deception, decoy, delusion, device, disguise, distortion, dodge*, double-dealing, duplicity, equivocation, evasion, fabrication, fake, falsehood, feint, forgery, fraud, game, gimmick, gyp, hoax, illusion, imposition, imposture, intrigue, invention, machination, maneuver, perjury, plot, ploy, pretense, ruse, snare, stratagem, subterfuge, swindle, trap, treachery, wile
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
Airship nailed it.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Get a "career" and then get a "life".
Cards never lie
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1986 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I, personally of course, (Who would ever say "you personally" to start a sentence at least) Have a career. Having a life is overrated. I know of at least two people in history who had a life, and later ended up losing it.

Is that where you want to be someday? Don't like push your conformism on me yo.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 22:58, Andy the cardician wrote:
Get a "career" and then get a "life".

How about I get a "wife" with a "career?"
www.magicbyhabu.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Don't like it, Change it...New Magic Word (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL