The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Last Thing you get, First Thing You Need » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
In my one visit to the shop in Baltimore, you offered a truism that made me laugh, and I wonder if you might expound on it......

I was talking about the kind of show I do, and the venues, and noted your Lefler tables. I had recently acquired one through my local shop and remarked how I can't believe I lived without it. You said "it's the last thing you get, but it's the first thing you need."

I was wondering where else you see this playing out in magic among newer magicians, or older ones for that matter. Aside from the obvious "books" - what has the modern magician tended to dismiss as passe, that ought to get another consideration when working for real audiences of laypeople?
Denny Haney
View Profile
1945 - 2019
48 Posts

Profile of Denny Haney
Thanks for the question.
I think the main thing we, as magicians, tend to overlook are the "classics" in magic. Audiences really do love them. They really have stood the test of time.
Below is a copy from one of my newsletters on "classics:"

COMMENTARY ON “CLASSICS.”

PERSONAL OBSERVATION:
I would advise all of you to take the time to read Mike Close's interview in Magic Magazine this month about the recent "marketing" of magic tricks, books, and DVDs. Mike has hit it "right on!!" There really is just too much being promoted and sold that is absolutely "unecessary." We keep falling into that trap of "What's New??" and soon find out that it is mostly a rehash of what has been around for years or it is something that is just not practical or, in some cases, even good. Do yourself a favor. Stop wasting your money on magic only because it's new. Stop to think if this "new" item REALLY contributes to your learning or to your show. Think of the effect.....is it similar to something that you are already doing and getting great response from?? Is it such a definite improvement over the effect you are already doing that you will replace your existing effect with this new one??
Because of this computer age, almost ANYONE can publish a book or produce a DVD. There are people who have been in magic only a few short years who are producing DVDs and booklets. Don't you think it better to buy works created by "experienced" performers?? It seems to make sense to me. I want to learn from someone who performs for real people all the time. If they are offering items from their own repertoire that they have performed for many years to make a living, then THAT is what I want to see.
Of course there are exceptions to the rule. There are some extremely creative and skilled younger performers out there who have much to offer. These performers will eventually become our future teachers in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Last Thing you get, First Thing You Need » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL