The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bending PVC Pipe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Greetings!

I'm working on a prop that needs 3/4" pvc pipe bent to odd shapes. Upon heating it I find it very workable but bending it then creates creases. Filling it with sand isn't convenient since it runs about while heating/shaping. Any other ideas as to how I can bend "snake-like" bends in it without creating creases is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Hi Clyde, long time no hear! Can you use one of those spring type pipe bending units that plumbers use to bend copper pipe without it collapsing? I assume you have them in the States. If it works on copper piping, it must be able to work on pvc pipe.

Just a thought.....

Mick
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
I made a simple levitation hoop this way- here's what you need to do. I used 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch successfully, but I've heard the larger sizes will tend to collapse when bending. Also, use "schedule 40" pipe as it has thicker walls. If you look at the hardware store, you'll notice the difference. Now, get some 3/4 inch plywood and make a form to bend it around. In my case, it was a big circle since I was simply making a hoop. Make sure your form is as perfect as you can get it- the pipe seems to pick up any little bumps in the finished product. Heat your pipe with a hand held propane torch. There's a knack to this- you want to get it really hot, but slowly, so that it doesn't scorch and catch fire. Also, do this outside because you will produce bad fumes. For me, I heated and bent about 12 inches at a time, and contined around the form. Let the pipe cool and you're there! Don't be discouraged if you don't get this on your first try. I made three hoops before I was happy. Patience is the key- get the pipe really soft and you can make perfect bends. Good luck!

Phil
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Thanks for the help and for the greeting Mick! Smile

The bends I need to make are sharper than a bending tool (for copper pipe, etc.) is able to make. Mine is in the shape of a dollar sign. The two rounded sections are fairly easy to do- its the sharper beginning and end of the bend that tougher to do without it crushing. I'm going to buy a spring for the inside of the pipe and see if it will prevent it from crushing in that area. If that doesn't work I'll seal it full of sand prior to shaping it.

Thanks!
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I have never used a propane torch to bend PVC...Too hard to control. For the heating I always used boiling oil on a hot plate. It heats the pipe very uniformly, and that seems to help with collapsing.
Just my imput.
Gwyd
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
When using the sand inside, I just push end caps onto the pipe and add a tiny bit of duct tape to insure they stay put. Though I admit to not having done such sharp curves.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
VisualRiddles
View Profile
New user
Clarion, Pennsylvania
41 Posts

Profile of VisualRiddles
Would pex pipe work? It's not as sturdy as schedule 40 but it bends nicely with a little heat. Oh and I'd use a heat gun instead of a torch.
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure theres no way a copper pipe bending tool will work on PVC... I worked in a hardware store for a few years, and we had some small sections of pvc that had been pre bent and shaped. I know they have sections like this available in like 1/2" and 3/4", but any bigger than that I am not sure. Never really tried to heat up a pipe, but I bet that's your best option.
I like cards.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I often melt PVC to make artificial bamboo. If you have to keep it "puffed up" you could fill it with sand, and cap the ends, or preassurize it with air from a scuba tank, and cap it off. Also, rather than make a bending form that is just a flat shape, make it the thickness of whatever pipe you are trying to bend, and give it a top and bottom surface that overlaps by the same thickness as well.

This way you are bending it in side a groove. If the edges can't pop OUT, there is less chance of it caving in on sharper bents.

Heat it by boiling (Water works, though I never thought of oil!) or with a constant heat gun is less risky than a torch. If you DO use the torch, PLEASE have fire extingusiher on hand, and use a torch meant for weeding or pipe defrosting, rather than for welding, and PLEASE have welder's gloves.

Once the pipe is melted and bent to shape, you have to let it cool 100% before you remove it from the form, or it will spring back.

Any reason not to just cut this out of a solid substance? or if it has to be hollow, cut it fron lawers of wood or acrylic, and then laminate them together? Might be less effort if you only need ONE.... if you want to make more, then a bending form would be easier.

Let us see pictures when you're done!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Thanks for your input everyone. I heat mine over the gas stove. if done slowly it doesn't brown. I place it in water to set it and that too works well. I'll try the sand with caps and then a mold if the sand/caps don't work well. I'll let you know how I make out.
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
Please be careful not to breathe any fumes or smoke that may come off PVC if it should ignite. The fumes are toxic and could kill you, according to those in the aquarium business, where forming PVC is done extensively.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Thank you Dave! I will be working on it this upcoming week hopefully so I'll let everyone know how it went.

Clyde
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
Another way I have bent pvc pipe is with a spring around it (a soft flexable spring like one from a screen door but larger, Maybe a garage door spring) Some pumbers use these to bend copper cold. If you can get a spring that fits your pipe snugly enough you can heat it gingerly so as not to damage your spring and bend away. The spring will keep the round shape and can be slid off or if you make tight turns you can uncoil the spring carefully. Good luck Magic Tad
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
Clyde, What type of prop are you building? There may be other material which may be easier to work with.
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I am an electrician and there are several ways you can bend PVC pipe.
A propane torch is one way if you are very careful not to scorch the pipe.
Electricians have, in a pinch, heated up PVC by holding it up to the exhaust pipe of a truck or tractor. Not the best way.
The two most common methods of bending PVC pipe is with the use of a heat blanket or heater box.
http://www.toolup.com/productinfo.asp?ID......FD1C60D}
http://www.toolup.com/productinfo.asp?ID......79C8EE7}
These items are a little pricey but they can be rented.
When heating the PVC it should feel like a wet noodle before you start shaping it. If done correctly you shouldn't have to put anything inside the pipe like sand or springs.
The ideas made above are good for making a jig and I would suggest having a bucket of water handy and when you have the shape you are happy with lay a soaked towel on top of the hot pipe to speed up the hardening process.

Dan
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
I've always been extremely careful not to catch PVC on fire because I was told the smoke/fumes are essentially cyanide gas. Not keen on expiring in order to bend up some plastic pipe!
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Might try a heat gun. owln_1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Bending PVC Pipe (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL