The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown phone effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Not me, I guess that you were the only one.. Smile
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Good to see this gag's still going strong. I'm sure there's plenty more milage in it yet. Keep flogging, guys!
Hello.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
No you're wrong, when Criss Angel did it there was a camera cut away between the phone ringing and it being answered... and when it was answered it was Criss's mother who wanted to say she still worried about him, despite how incredibly amazing he was...

Ellusionist have a one trick DVD featuring this effect but you have to use a special technique from the Phillipines where you lick the phone.

Someone actually used this effect to claim a million bucks from Randi, but I heard he backed down... mayeb we should start a thread on that...

:)
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
In Criss Angel's effect both the caller and the callee were stooges, the phone was gimmicked, and the whole thing was camera edited...
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I heard that Brown was a ventriloquist, and threw his voice at someone in the audience,using NLP to influence them to believe that their phone was ringing.

I believe this is entirely possible, given Mr. Brown's remarkable abilities.

- entity
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Actually as this whole thread seems to have been started by Thom Yorke (see picture) this may be a clever ploy to NLP people into buying more Radiohead albums...

Not such a bad thing...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2236 Posts

Profile of magicmind
No, this is an old effect...used to be done with pagers. This was a planted gimmick phone and a spec that never knew he owned one...hence the suprised look. This has already been revealed on U toobe.
Pay it forward
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
1. Laugh
2. Chuckle
3. Nervous Chuckle
4. Kill, Maim, Destroy
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 14:23, Stephen Long wrote:
Good to see this gag's still going strong. I'm sure there's plenty more milage in it yet. Keep flogging, guys!


He's right. This could easily keep going into a 4-page thread. OMG. I'm still laughing so hard. I can't believe it's still funny!
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
OK let me clear this up...

This effect was actually used by David Copperfield in his last tour. He used the gag every night by having a pre-recorded cell-phone ring tone played in the theatre so he could do the line, although in his version the ring tone was backed by a Phil Collins power ballad and a wind machine.

But in fact the concept dates back to the 19th Century, when Maskelyne developed the idea of having a boy run into the theatre with an urgent telegram, and the performer would yell “Accept it not, for it be bad tidings”.

The secret method was revealed in a diagram included in Jim Steinmeyers latest book, and also by a 12 year old from Ohio on YouTube, but he also added in an effect involving mentos and Diet Coke, and some clips of the hot girls from the OC.

Of course, all effects are ultimately ripped off from someone else, and in fact this was first used by a little known performer called Jesus who did a popular bit where he would tell the crowd “Don’t cast the first stone, it might be bad news”.

This was included in volume 3 of his DVD series “Easy to Master Messianic Miracles”.

His work continues to be copied, most recently in the new DVD “Naked on a Beach after Walking on Water”…

:angel:
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
268 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
Now that one made me laugh. Smile
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Virungan, you are getting yourself into a big trouble by revealing all these secrets, especially that of “Easy to Master Messianic Miracles” DVD series. Do you have any idea how many millions of people believe the effects published in those DVD series are real? Imagine how mad they will be at you for revealing it all in a public forum!
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I know, I just had a really nasty letter from Mel Gibson... I think he had been drinking.

I think that DVD series was first published in scroll format in your part of the world, but it never got published after Uri bent it out of shape...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Let's end the jokes now, and explain what really happened.

The fact is that the phone rang and Derren - very annoyed at being interrupted, and known for his colorful use of language - looked in the direction of the sound and exclaimed:

"Donut arse fatties! Black nudes!"
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 14:34, Virungan wrote:
Ellusionist have a one trick DVD featuring this effect but you have to use a special technique from the Phillipines where you lick the phone.


Pmpl
Mostly Harmless ^_^
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Huh? Smile
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20029 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 15:28, Omid wrote:
In Criss Angel's effect both the caller and the callee were stooges, the phone was gimmicked, and the whole thing was camera edited...


Caller and callee, stooges, then why the gimicked phone and camera edits? LOL.

Criss needs better stooges.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 23:17, Virungan wrote:
OK let me clear this up...

This effect was actually used by David Copperfield in his last tour. He used the gag every night by having a pre-recorded cell-phone ring tone played in the theatre so he could do the line, although in his version the ring tone was backed by a Phil Collins power ballad and a wind machine.

But in fact the concept dates back to the 19th Century, when Maskelyne developed the idea of having a boy run into the theatre with an urgent telegram, and the performer would yell “Accept it not, for it be bad tidings”.

The secret method was revealed in a diagram included in Jim Steinmeyers latest book, and also by a 12 year old from Ohio on YouTube, but he also added in an effect involving mentos and Diet Coke, and some clips of the hot girls from the OC.

Of course, all effects are ultimately ripped off from someone else, and in fact this was first used by a little known performer called Jesus who did a popular bit where he would tell the crowd “Don’t cast the first stone, it might be bad news”.

This was included in volume 3 of his DVD series “Easy to Master Messianic Miracles”.

His work continues to be copied, most recently in the new DVD “Naked on a Beach after Walking on Water”…

:angel:



Hi. Lar. I. Ous.
AJX
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AJX
In comparison to what DB's next series consists of, this amorality is nothing. You have been warned:
http://thegallows.typepad.com/the_gallow......dex.html
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
How terribly naughty...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown phone effect (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL