The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Denny's lecture notes » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Denny,

Long time, no see, friend. Just wanted to mention what is one of magic's best values -- your lecture notes. The most practical, no b.s., wisdom-packed words about a successful magic career that have ever been written. If any Café members are reading this and do not have these notes they should immediately go to http://www.dennymagic.com and get them.

Which brings to mind another thought -- Denny, you praised the Potassy book and dvds because they share the wisdom of a successful pro. I happen to know this other guy, like Potassy, very successful pro. Comes from Baltimore, wears Vans, owns a pig. Don't recall his name. All he has released is a performance dvd and some very smart lecture notes. Both valuable, but just the "surface of his wisdom iceberg". (How's that for a lame metaphor?)

Well, Denny, when are you going to release more product? Your smarts on the egg bag, bottles, about a 100 other things, are priceless.

One more thing -- and I've said this for a long time. You're about the best illusionist I know. Why? Because you're about the only one that maintains the same performing character when you perform illusions and when you perform platform effects. Funny and baffling doing the egg bag. Funny and baffling doing the canvas covered trunk. Too many illusionists are like this: forced funny doing the egg bag. forced suaveness doing the sub trunk. Result? Not so good.

Enough of my blathering. Denny, you the man.

Best,

Doc
QED
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, VA
74 Posts

Profile of QED
Good observation there Doc...
consistency of character... that's Denny...
He knows who and what he is, and so does his audience...
Know thyself, and to thine own self be true...
(hehe... I just beat you in lameness there!)
but it's true... figure out who and what you are, and there you go...
I'm still working on that one...
an audience will know when you are faking it... every time...
David Quidas
Alexandria, VA

I'm here to tell ya, and I don't mind tellin' ya, but I ain't sayin' nothin', if ya know what I'm sayin'...
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I picked up a copy of Dennys Lecture notes a few years ago. I will honestly say that they changed my entire way of performing magic...for the better! Denny "has been there and done that". Each time I visit his shop, there is new wisdom to gain. I will often travel to his shop just to pick up a copy of Genii, so I can talk to him again.

Denny, thank you.

David
Denny Haney
View Profile
1945 - 2019
48 Posts

Profile of Denny Haney
Thanks guys!!
As for Doc's question about releasing some of my other work, finding time is a problem.
These two shops consume most of my time.
I also have another problem......releasing things on DVD. If I had my way, I would write the book!!
Although I have had thoughts about releasing the Multiplying Bottles, Malini Egg Bag, Card Manipulation routine, Billiard Balls, Bill in Lemon, Cards Across, etc. on DVD I have some reservations.
I am not trying to play all "goody goody" BUT many of the things I have learned came from many other sources. These sources I respect and feel that I do not have the "right" to release other people's works.
I get very upset when I see new DVDs out there that are nothing but other's works that have already been printed in books. It's a pet peeve of mine. Since the Video and DVD have appeared, I see so much work that is already printed in Tarbell or any of the other classic works on magic. It's almost as if saying, "Okay, I'll do the reading for you and you can just pay me to show you what I've read."
Many have wanted me to do a billiard ball DVD. When I was fifteen years old, I signed a "secrecy" agreement with the Chavez College of Magic. I was not to reveal the information taught to me in that course. Many have said, so what....that was back in the sixties!!! I really don't see a time limitation on a promise. It is not my place to teach what I learned from the Chavez Course. The bottle routine I do is basically Ken Brooke's. The Egg Bag is based on Charlie Miller. This goes on and on.
The problem of ethics in this business is a major problem. Cheap knock offs of other people's work are everywhere. I really do not want to contribute to this.
Yes, if I really want to make a lot of money, I should release all of my material on DVD.
This is something that I struggle with in my own conscience.
We'll see what the future brings.
Denny
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
BTW everybody, here's the direct link to the notes http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=007077

Get'em.

Doc
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Denny,

thank you for this great and inspiring answer. If only more magicians would have this high ethic and moral . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
Thomas Okey
View Profile
New user
Lakeland Florida
50 Posts

Profile of Thomas Okey
Thank You Denny for such a great and inspiring reply.
I have never seen you perform but it was great of you to share where you got the insperation for the routines you mentioned. I appreciate that you don't want to expose/take credit for someone elses work but I also appreciate you letting me know where to go look.

The dilimma we have though is finding some of the out of print items you mentioned. When the material is no longer available to the magical faternity is it alright to print it? Probable not but does that mean that it is lost? That is the dilimma.

I hope I get to meet you one day!
Tom Okey
Denny Haney
View Profile
1945 - 2019
48 Posts

Profile of Denny Haney
Hi Tom,
Thanks.
I think you would be very surprised to find out how much of these classic works are still in print. You don't realize it because they are not heavily advertised on websites.
Most internet shops or "trick" type shops do not carry these older publications. Most only carry what is "hot" at the time or "new."
After thirty or sixty days, they have a discount clearance sale and move the product out and then they order the next newest product. They have to keep their money turning over as quickly as possible. I guess it's just good business.
That is why an "old style" magic shop is so good for magicians.
When I first opened these two shops, I searched out all of the books I learned from or all of the tricks that I always liked. I stocked my shop with these items. I didn't care how "old" they were. I only cared how "good" they are. I ordered cases of these items and stored them away in the basement. I constantly keep bringing these items upstairs to the shop and put them on display.
There are certain books or tricks that I will carry forever as long as they are still in print or being manufactured.
You would be surprised at how many magicians walk into this shop and see a book and say, "Wow, I thought this book was out of print!"
It is also surprising to watch Ebay once in a while and see booklets that we still have in stock, still in print, selling for three and four times the retail price.
If , for some reason, something is out of print but a friend of yours might have it, I see no harm in asking if you can copy the pages you need for your own personal use.
Denny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Denny's lecture notes » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL