The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Daryl's Cross of India??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
I've been wondering recently about an effect I saw some 30 years ago at a convention in Boston. It was one of those between lecture moments where people are showing their stuff. At one point a few guys pulled me aside and had me watch a young kid do a coins across routine. The moment was quite magical to me as it was one of the first times I experienced someone doing a coin trick using sleight of hand as opposed to a Johnson Product item (they were all the rage at that time).

The effect as I remember it was that he held 4 quarters in each hand (a few were mine). He would simply cross and then un-cross his hands and the coins would magically pass from one hand to the other. At the time my speculation was that he was dropping the coins from one hand and then catching them with the other as he uncrossed his hands.

I eventually forgot about the effect until a few years later (about 15) when I obtained a copy of Daryls "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler" and read the effect "Mysterious Cross of India". At that time I had convinced myself that the mystery had been solved and I finally knew what I actually saw. This was based on my having never seen any other effect with coins where they pass with the crossing and un-crossing of the hands.

Recently however I've been thinking about this trick and that day long ago. One thing I remember clearly is that there was no table and the coins were simply counted into "my" hands after each one passed. After which they'd be picked up and the next coin would travel.

Knowing how Daryls routine is accomplished the whole thing just doesn't seem to fit. That said I'm reaching out for opinons and information. Was I simply a witness to Daryls routine but in typical spectator fashion remembering the effect quite differently?

Or....... is there another effect similar in appearence and effect but with a different method that I somehow have over looked?

I'd love to hear some opinions on this, not that I'm loosing sleep over it but every once in a while I just sit and wonder.

Larry
"you could look it up" Casey Stengel
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8841 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You might reach out to Vinny The Godfather here on the Café. He has a nice coins across called "crossing the delaware" where a phase of it does this sort of hands crossing move and the coins go across. Reach out to him, he's a wealth of information and a very good magi.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Larry,

The only other coins across that matches your description is Shigeo Takagi's. In his routine, the arms cross for each "jump". However, he used at least as many coins, possibly more, and his routine would also be unruly without a table. (what with all those coins)

I'm guessing that you saw a gutsy young kid taking a few chances with Daryl's routine. In fact, the methodology relies upon boldness, so doing it in the spectators' hands might be a step in the right direction. You know, that's really a pretty sound idea....

Of course, given that you were at a magic convention, your very first instincts could have been right, as well. Was the kid Akira Fujii?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
Curtis,

Thanks for the response and insight, someone else has mentioned the Tagaki routine in this context to me. Although I've never seen it I've always associated the Tagaki routine with something David Wiliamson does. What makes this more interesting to me is that I saw this around 1978 and the Daryl book came out in 1980. As for the indentity of "The Kid" I have no idea who he was but he obviously has left a mark. I like the thinking re: his being "gutsy". Do you know if the Daryl routine was around before his book came out? Perhaps some early Daryl lecture notes?

Thanks again,

Larry
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10786 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Larry my routine Crossing the Delaware uses just 4 coins no extras...
when I first created this routine I did with American quaters hence the name lol
anyway I use a slight I call The Gosh Pien Chein.. it is invisible and can be dpne in spectators hands or on the table...^(medafter goshman)
just pm me ill send you a demo of the routine which is very quick and the handling and any one else that is interested in this technique
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Vinny's routine looks great.

Thanks for the reminder of the cross of...by Daryl...

What's old is new again. I love reaching back to bring things to light of day.

Things in the hand have potential for great impact...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
Is it possible it was Ross Bertram's from 'Stars of Magic'? The hands don't cross per say, but the fists come very close to one another. It's one of the seminal handling of the plot which would definately be in vogue thirty years ago.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
One doesn't see the R.B. routine very often. Seems like I have only seen one person do it(and well) in the last 20 years.

This nearly normal guy doesn't use Ross B. idea though it is intriguing.

memoriessssssssssssssssss

harri9s
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
Could be the Bertram routine, I'll go and read it. Perhaps "The Kid" added the crossing of the hands to the Bertram routine to help cover the transfers?

Hmmmmm, interesting.

Larry
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27148 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-16 12:00, bozo wrote:
Is it possible it was Ross Bertram's from 'Stars of Magic'? The hands don't cross per say, but the fists come very close to one another. It's one of the seminal handling of the plot which would definately be in vogue thirty years ago.

seminal? to what?

IMHO the Geoff Latta HPC approach is more likely "seminal" and thanks be to "Presto" for getting that ball rolling. Add a non-sequitor load for the left hand and you've got a short trick worth doing. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
Jonathon,

Please don't in any way interpret my response as dis-respectful, but what the heck are you talking about? I love a riddle but you left me totally in the dark.

Larry
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Sounds a lot like cross-eyed coins across by Dave Williamson.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17148 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 04:44, Curtis Kam wrote:
Larry,
The only other coins across that matches your description is Shigeo Takagi's.

Yes...I attended an Arnold Furst lecture in Virginia (early 70's), and in his
notes was this effect by Takagi....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I must say that I saw Crossing the Delaware, the vinny's effect and it os so clean, I was fooled the first couple of times I saw it. Your Goshman Pien Chein looks amazing. And its a great technique indeed, it looks very clean.

Best Regards
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Daryl's Cross of India??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL