The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Friday Night Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
Magic Sojourn has been holding Friday Night Magic since Sept. 06, and it is gaining in popularity. On a good night we average around 25 people. Every Friday night magicians & non magicians are welcome to come into the shop for the chance to showcase their talent (learn a trick, perform a trick), to watch magic being performed, to meet local magicians & to discuss and learn the art of magic. People start coming in after 5 p.m. and stay till 8 p.m., 9 p.m., 10 p.m. until the business for the day is done.

For more info go to http://www.magicsojourn.com

Magically yours,
John B.
John Bodner
Genesis 26:3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you, and will bless you. For to you, and to your seed, I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to Abraham your father.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
I had a good experience stopping into the shop sometime before Christmas. I'll have to make it over there one of these fridays.

The shop is roomy, and was pretty well stocked with a variety of magic and books.

John was friendly and accomidating.

- Mark
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
Thanks Mark for the positive response. I try to stick with the concept of the old time Magic Shop, that I remember from my youth. For those that have not been to Magic Sojourn I welcome you and for my current customers I Thank you very much for keeping me in business.
My shop is located in Bristol, PA just outside of Philadelphia. Located on a corner of the main street of the shopping district of Historic Bristol Borough we are in a 200 year old building along the Delaware river. Every spring & summer the Borough has different festivals which bring in many thousands of people, to cap it off in the fall we have Bike Night which brings in over 15,000 motorcycles down Mill Street where I am located. The Bike Night venue gives local magicians the opportunity to perform both outside & inside the shop.
I always try different things to keep in business. I carry over 1500 magic supplies, with a hand full of novelty items & with a small line of puppets for the very small children.
As Mark stated the shop is roomy and the back room is accommodating for Birthday Parties & Lectures.
John Bodner
Genesis 26:3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you, and will bless you. For to you, and to your seed, I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to Abraham your father.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I'm going to chime in for my good friend John. I love magic sojourn. It is a genuine magic shop. John is always friendly. He keeps a good variety of magic. He is always helpful to his customers. Almost every time I go, there is someone there to hang out and session with.

I have yet to make it to a Friday night jam session (it is usually date night with my wife), but I would suggest to anyone to visit John's shop anytime.

Forrest Chapman
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
Thank you very much Forrest, I appreciate your support.
For all magicians in the Philadelphia, Bucks & Montgomery Counties in PA & for those in South Jersey, please come to Magic Sojourn (a brick & mortar) magic shop. Give me a chance before your next internet order.

Sincerely,

John B.
John Bodner
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Magic Sojourn is definitely a great shop. The people there, especially John, are so nice and helpful. I encourage anyone in the area to come out on a Friday and join us, it's awesome.
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
213 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
Magic Sojurn is a great place. I just started doing magic again after a long hiatus and John really helped me. After a couple of visits John knew what type of magic that I really liked. I haven't been to a magic shop like that since I was a child (anyone from New Jersey remember Mecca, Abracadabra(basement of somebody's house) or the Amazing Randi's shop in Red Bank).
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
John & Mike thanks for your supportive comments. It is people like you that make Friday Night Magic a success. As of late we are now averaging around 60 people on Friday night. Friday night offers a meeting place for magicians from 8 to 68, novice to professional. Both rooms are open, the Magic Shoppe and the Magic Room, The Magic Room is where I hold lectures & private parties. It is a night to network, to perform and to exchange knowledge & ideas.
This Friday 7/13/07 all magicians who attend can perform walk around down at Mill & Radcliffe Street at the Bristol Wharf area from 6 to 8 p.m. It is a community sponsored event by Bristol Borough Community Partnership, called "Harry Potter Night". At dusk they will be showing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at Lions Park on the Delaware River.
I will be closed on July 20, 07 and will be at Bristol Riverside Theater. Dick Gustafson will be performing 10 shows here from July 18 -22, 07. The Themed show is entitled Magic around the World. I will be in the lobby before the show, at intermission & after the show selling a few magic effects.
Richard and Joanne burst onto the entertainment scene in 1967 when they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. In 2000, in a Gala black tie ceremony in Hollywood , California , Richard was inducted into the Society of American Magicians Hall of Fame, joining Houdini, Siegfried and Roy, and other great magicians.
More info for these events as well as others can be found at: http://www.magicsojourn.com.
John Bodner
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I'd just like to interject for a moment to comment on how simply wonderful John's shop is. I've only known Mr. Bodner for a few months and have only been lucky enough to give him patronage a handful of times, but I must say this. John Bodner is a wonderful human being and magician. His shop is one of a few REAL brick and mortar shops left in the country. The guy isn't making a living selling make-up or clown wigs. I've attended a couple of his Friday Night Magic events and I have to say that John really knows how to throw a party. Magicians of all ages and skill levels gather at Magic Sojourn to chat the latest magic, read the newest magazines and learn the newest techniques in the magic world.

If you happen to be in the area, do yourself a favor and drop by the shop. You'll be glad you did...

Two cents spent,

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator
http://www.E-mmaculatedeceptions.com
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I appreciate John's efforts too. He's a sincere, honest guy, and he won't let you walk out of his shop with an effect you've purchased without him demo'ing the goods.

And, the shop's more than a place to get the latest new trick or DVD. I and my family really have enjoyed the Friday Night Magic sessions and meeting everyone of so many different backgrounds and skill sets. And, routinely meeting and learning from folks like John, Eric, Kyle, Arlen, and many many many others, pro and amateur, is like a mini-convention every week.

Hope to see you there soon . . .
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
Eric & Bill thanks for your patronage & support. Without my loyal customer base I would not exist. The comments over the past month about my business & myself is flattering to say the least. The opinions of others really do affect my business. By word of mouth Magic Sojourn has become the premier magic shop in the Philadelphia, PA region. Sometimes it is tough going because of random comments made by some people, like if I ran this business I would do things differently or I wish there were not so many kids here on a Friday night. Basically I have created a hangout for magicians to socialize, network & learn magic but some, not all might not understand that I can not differentiate between adults & children because this would affect the bottom line. I need to make a profit to stay in business and kids do buy magic.
I think I have established a reputable business that people want to come back to. Where else could you go and hang out for hours, get a free beverage, snacks and you are not forced to make a purchase? The only thing I ask is when making a purchase consider me first. I try to treat others as I myself would like to be treated.
Suggestions welcome from people who have owned a retail business or have been in sales. I want to continuously strive to have the best shop in the area. Again I want to give my heartfelt thanks to my customers, regulars & new customers.
John Bodner
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
We will be doing our regular Friday night magic sessions again this Friday, 7/27/07. We were closed last Friday because we were at the Bristol Riverside Theatre in Historic Bristol Borough(a few blocks from the shop) for "Magic Around the World" with The Gustafsons. I had the opportunity to watch Mr. Gustafson perform 8 shows without missing a beat. He had to switch his program around midway through because their assistant Jeannie sprained both her ankles. My lovely assistant & partner, Sharon, assisted in a few effects for the remainder of the program and did an excellent job.
Dick especially shined when he performed some of his smaller illusions like: Dr. Killem's Medicine Man routine, Chinese Linking Rings, Chinese Rice Bowls & his Borrowed Shoe Effect. Mr. Gustafson is one class act, very entertaining and very believable.
Thanks to all the magicians who came out to see Dick and Joanne Gustafson, and support the Theatre & Magic Sojourn.
John Bodner
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
Coming up on 1 year of doing Friday Night Magic this September. Glad to see everybody is still supporting this undertaking. I will be closed August 23, 24 & 25th 2007, I will be a dealer at the MAES convention. For more info check out: http://www.maesonline.org/conv2007.htm
John Bodner
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Alright John!!!! Seeya at MAES!!!!!
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
magicsojourn
View Profile
New user
Bristol, PA
24 Posts

Profile of magicsojourn
Seeya Eric. Also, thank you for the Lecture at Magic Sojourn. You were great!!!
John Bodner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Friday Night Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL