The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dollar size coins and others (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Is it a good idea to start working with dollar size coins as well as halves? If so what is the best dollar size coin to use? What is the least expensive? Would Franklins be a good coin to use? also, where can I buy walking liberties for a low price?
Michael
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Well... I guess that my hands are different than yours.
And so the coins should be.
Really, the best way is to find out what fits your needs best.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Personally, and due to hand size, only do a couple of effects with dollar size coins.

Best is subjective.

Franklins are as good as any.

Cheapest? Eisenhowers.

WL where? EBay.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Are eisenhowers all right? are the reletively soft?
whats the price difference between franklins and eisenhowers?
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
Eisenhowers are the cheapest of the old style dollars you will be able to find.
They probably will not be "soft". You probably can pick them up at a coin store for about $1.25 to $1.80 per coin. Because of the silver content in the Franklins, Walking Liberties etc you will be paying a premium unless you buy Skulls which are very worm coins with little or no stamping left on the coin.
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
How much should such coins generally cost?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I don't know how much all those coins cost off hand.
Use Google and do a search for the coins you're interested in. Smile
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thanks Jaz
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check ebay for coin prices and styles.

BTW...the type and size coin is an artistic decision. I don't think the audiences are that interested... but your routines, moves, etc. may dictate what you use.

For example: I learned coin magic from Slydini and he used Morgan silver dollars. However there are some routines, like Matrix, that work better with quarters. Most coin box work is done with halves.

BUT... as I have said time and time again... THERE ARE NO RULES.

Do what works for you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thanks Pete. I'll look on Ebay. I think, if prices permit, I'll get some Dollar sized coins and see if they fit me and my performing style.
Thanks Again.
Michael
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Don't foget to check your local coin stores. There's one where I live, that has let me have Eisenhowers for face value and soft Morgans for $9.00, no postage, no tax.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
I'm not sure, but aren't the Eisenhower dollars clad coins? I would recommend staying away from nickel - clad types for two reasons. 1) I find them very slippery compared to silver. 2) When I started practicing w/ clad Kennedy halves I developed skin discoloration in my palm due to the copper.

IMHO, you will pay more for silver coins in any size, but I think you will be happier in the long run.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 18:52, Tom Bartlett wrote:
Don't foget to check your local coin stores. There's one where I live, that has let me have Eisenhowers for face value and soft Morgans for $9.00, no postage, no tax.

Most coin stores have bins of old coins of many shapes and sizes for a little over face value. The benefit of going to a store is you can pick coins that resemble eachother in wear and date. While I rarely use dollar coins, I do have Eisenhowers and they work just fine. Don't forget that there are new US Dollar coins on their way out.
Aim To Amaze
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
Thanks everyone for all the responses. You've all been very helpful.
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Quote:
Because of the silver content in the Franklins, Walking Liberties etc you will be paying a premium unless you buy Skulls which are very worm coins with little or no stamping left on the coin.

If I am not mistaken, I think you meant Cull coins. They are worthless to collectors, and are only judged by their silver content. They are damaged,worn, nicked or stained. Generally, cull silver coins run $8 to $12 a piece. A local coin dealer would be the best place to find them.

Soft coins are always silver. Clad coins (copper core coins covered in a nickle alloy) minted after 1964.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks for the lesson in coins Spackle666, learn something everyday.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Old coins at coin shops and sometimes antique stores are always a good fine.
Over the years I find people give me interesting coins after learning I use them in my routines.

At 5'5" I have appropriately small sized. This nearly normal guy started with quarter sized coins. These days I use up to Morgan sized coins. I don't always stick with coins. Sometimes I use crackers or washers from hardware stores. The later are very reasonable. When I did box routines I used a wheel since I couldn't find a 50 cent(american coin) sized washer to make them (washers) the right size.

When I worked out of Reno I used slot machine tokens.

Harri9s (the 9 is silent as my coins) Deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
No problem. I also recommend straying from ebay, unless you are buying bulk lots (30+ coins), you usually can get a better deal with a local coin dealer, because cull coins are all but worhtless to them, they usually collect a bunch and them sell the lots to local metalsmiths and jewelers who melt them down.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I like my local coin shops because they let me play with the coins to see if I like them.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
When Bobo begins a trick description with saying, "Borrow a half dollar from a member of your audience", I know that the time period he wrote in had a different definition of very common coins than we have today. And when Bobo describes having an audience member marking a silver dollar for later identification, I really know that the time period he wrote in REALLY had a different definition of common coins. (Today, when a dollar made with a high silver content can only be had at a cost much higher than its face value, you don't go casually marking it up as if it were as common as a quarter.)

I am an amateur at coin magic, and when I practice with ungaffed coins, I lean towards quarters, knowing that I can always procure a quarter at a moment's notice. I have a lot of respect for Bobo's description of technique, but I do suspect that the coins that he used in many of his examples would be different coins if he were writing today.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dollar size coins and others (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL